Update with pic in OP - Please tell me how to make this bigger?? :)

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by Tammy, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Tammy

Tammy lovin' my THREE kidlets

Finished the hat(s).. so here are dh and ds in their matching hats. Please ignore the red-eye lol. And the beautiful computer background (dh is a web designer and i'm a student soooo... lots of monitors).

[​IMG]

I'd like to make this hat for my dh, who has a large man head lol... can someone please tell me how to adjust this pattern (ie. approx how many more to cast on, and if i have to change the pattern elsewhere?).

CrazyAuntPurl: The Brangelina Hat: Thick 'n Quick to knit!

Thanks in advance :)

Tammy
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  2. Amphitrite

Amphitrite Amity's Focus Member

I don't know about knitting, but in crochet you can makes things bigger by moving up in hook sizes - maybe that would work? I know I've seen *huge* needles.... :lol:

I'm learning but I may keep that pattern bookmarked!
  3. Tammy

Yeah I thought of that too, but i think it would have to be a big enough jump in needles that it wouldn't be as warm... it would be hole-ier i think?

I'm sure I could do it by casting on more stitches but I want to make sure I know how many before I start... I really don't want to end up with a hat that's too big or too small... it's rare that my husband asks for me to make him anything!

Tammy
  4. keikihula

keikihula Welcome to the Real World

yup, it would hole-ier. I made dh a hat in 2x2 rib and just went up a needle size. It was fine when it was just starting to get cold, but now that it's in the low teens here this week, he told me the wind goes through it and his head is kinda chilly. And this was made with bulky Alpaca.

I'm not sure how to size it up by adding stitches, except to just expirement, but just keep in mind that you need to add 4 stitches at a time to do rib in the round. ;)
  5. huskrkid

huskrkid Got Yarn?

Honestly, you'd do yourself a favor to do a guage swatch. (how many times have I been beaten with that wet noodle? :lol: I dunno) With bulky yarn, it won't take as long, as say, the socks on 1's that I'm doing.:vent: Make sure it measures minimum 4"x4", do at least 6x6 to be safe. Measure your dh's head & go from there.

I feel your pain, I have a giant head too!
  6. Tammy

LOL socks on 1s... I'm waaaay too impatient for that!!!

Okay so the swatch... I admit it, I've never done one.... So what do I do? Just knit up a square and measure how many stitches per inch right?

Tammy
  7. Tammy

bump to show how it turned out.
  8. keikihula

keikihula Welcome to the Real World

that turned out so good!!! And what a handsome pair you have. ;)

So what did you end up doing? I want to try this pattern for the next hat I make, but we have some big noggin's around here too. lol
  9. Tammy

Honestly, I didn't have to end up doing anything to make it bigger! I did a guage check and found that it was going to fit Dh just fine.... To make it small though, I did a guage swatch and used the easy roll brim hat recipe to find out how many cast on stitches by going like this.... Measure head in inches, and multiply it by my stitches per inch. Then just make sure your cast on is a multiple of four so that you can do the ribbing pattern. :)

Tammy