UPDATE - they are in the house! RATS in the compost pile!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by artemis33, Mar 23, 2009.

1. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

OK an update on the latest:

We decided at the end of last week to purchase a few more traps and to set them out baited but unset for a couple of days. We knew we were going to be gone all day Sunday so we did this Friday and Sat. Then Sunday was "Whammo" day as DH said :lol: (the day to set the baited traps).

We were gone for over 14 hours and we came home to one huge dead rat. Gross - but great! And better than none. Then Mon and Tues we caught 2 more big ones.

We haven't been feeding the compost pile and we've been pretty careful about no leaving anything accessible in the kitchen (we usually would have a fruit bowl with a few things out and maybe a loaf of bread in a covering....but not right now!).

DH is planning to build a worm bin this weekend so we can still compost our scraps but we're hoping they'll just move along if they don't have incentive to stay here and feed/nest.

I have NOT heard them in the walls or seen any new signs of them in the last few days.

What do you all think? We'll definitely hire professionals if we have to but are hoping this will be enough....
  2. artemis33

Oh and yeah, this is originally a 1918 farmhouse (has a built on area also) so there are cracks and crevices we don't even know about! We're trying to address this, but not sure if that will be enough.....
  3. snugbug

snugbug Watching my baby grow

Good luck! We've been fighting rats in our yard, garage/garage wall, side shed for several months. I can't keep any non-metal or glass pantry items out there anymore. For us it all started with a combination of worm bin and chicken feed but then our neighbors house burned down and I think all scittery inhabitants moved to our house because its been crazy since then. We found that once you catch one or two then the 'others' are very quiet for a few days/week. Also they get really smart about traps so we have several types that we rotate to all their favorite hide outs. Same goes for bait- PB is good but eventually they know to stay away from it so then you have to get creative. We've had the best results with cashews and also really stinky cheeses like gorgonzola.

Its on our agenda to revamp our compost bin set up. Right now its open on the bottom, cinder blocks set up as a big rectangle, with a ply wood 'lid' on top- and its against the house. This was not our brightest idea :badidea: I have an old metal washing machine drum that I'm planning on using next after I fit a lid for it, and it will not be against the house.

Sarah
  4. artemis33

Thanks for the input sarah! Yes, as you mentioned they were quiet for a few days and then over the weekend I saw 'signs' of them again :( DH checked the traps in the attic (he hadn't for a few days since we didn't hear them) and EWWWWWW there was one that had been there for a day or two. BARF!

Anyway, our compost pile is by the barn not the house so that is OK we just need to make sure the worm bin DH is building can keep them out.

He's also trying out different baits, though we haven't changed the trap style at this point.

*sigh*

We're going to continue our efforts and see where we stand in a couple of weeks. At that point we may hire professionals - we simply *cannot* have rats in the house!!!