Update on my MRI and my sewing foot

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by 3boysnagrl, Jul 21, 2005.

1. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

So this weekend my right foot started hurting so bad that putting pressure on it was difficult. Monday I went into the doctor's office and had her look at it. Slight visible swelling, but not any bruising or discoloration. She tried to move my foot around and it hurt like crazy. She wanted me to go for an x-ray, so I did. She was thinking that it may be a stress fracture or something. me too.

Well, the x-ray came back that there is a 1mmx5mm SOMETHING in my foot. It is causing some swelling (doh). They had me go for an MRI. The MRI wasn't definitive, either. Basically, there is a density there, with swelling around it. The MRI suggests it could be it could possibly be a bony
    avulsion. Basically, a sliver of bone. They are now suggesting either a
    bone scan or a CT scan to get a better idea. I have an appointment with a podiatrist on Monday afternoon. My foot HURTS! I have been taking Motrin for the pain all week. 800 mg of Motrin at a time.

Anyway, if it is a piece of bone, then I think it may have happened at the beginning of May when I was at a friends and fell down her stairs carrying her 40 pound daughter in the middle of the night. I bruised up my legs really bad - and broke the big toe on my other foot. I also had a concussion and bruises all over my body. I didn't get medical treatment and should have. But I knew the toe was broken and knew they couldn't do anything for it anyway (dh had that happen last year). I ended up seeing my doctor after 4 weeks because my shin still hurt bad and was still swollen and hard. I had a blood clot there next to the bone. Sigh. now this other foot is hurting. Maybe when I fell it broke the piece of bone most of the way off and then last week I did something (always tripping over everything) and it did it the rest of the way? I don't know, but it really started to hurt this weekend. I can barely put pressure on the foot and moving my toes hurts, too.

What would they do for this? Would it mean taking the piece of bone out?

Have I mentioned lately how much I wish dh was here?

Heather Mitchell
  2. Shelly

Shelly Active Member

I hope you get your foot fixed up too. I'm so sorry your dh isn't home, it's no fun not to have the hugs and support of your honey. :hug:
  3. rwikene

rwikene keeping it simple

oh Heather that just sucks! :sadhug: praying for them to find the answer, and quick healing for you mama!
  4. warneral

warneral Don't Sell Me Fabric!!

oh honey I'm sorry!
  5. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

My mom was in a car accident uhh almost 8y ago now (3 weeks before my wedding), in which shards of glass were imbedded into the top of her hand. They went in and dug what they thought were all of them out. A couple of weeks ago she started to have pain, swelling and tenderness on the top of her hand. She went in and they found more glass. Apparently it was in very deep and took 8 years to work its way to the surface-- it hurt because it had worked its way closer to the skin, and the movement caused irritation. She ended up having surgery to remove what she hopes is the rest of the glass.
    Anyway, even if it is bone in this case, it may hurt because it is working its way closer to the skin. I really hope they are able to figure out what it is soon and get it OUT! I am surprised that they want to keep evaluating it and just dont go in to remove it. I mean it obviously is something that is hurting and needs to come out-- not sure why it really matters what??
    heather
  6. sillygoose

sillygoose FABRIC FASTING!

Oh yikes Heather! So sorry you have to go through this. I'm sure they will HAVE to take it out. Good luck.
  7. 3boysnagrl

This is exactly what I am thinking. Why take an MRI even, if they could tell there was something in there? sigh.... if I had seen the x-ray report before I had the MRI, I woudl have just asked ot be referred to a surgeon. It's not fun being a single parent chasing 4 active children when you foot hurts like this!
  8. amanda823s

amanda823s Sewing Up A Storm!

Ouch! I'm so sorry! I hope it all gets taken care of soon and that your foot heals quickly. :hug:
  9. grtlyblesd

grtlyblesd Amity's Focus Member

Yup. Paul had glass in his hand when we were first married. I dug most of it out. I kept telling him, "I think there's another piece there," but it hurt & he wanted me to leave it alone. Well, about 5 years later, something was bugging him, and I got to dig out that last piece of glass, lol.

Heather, I'm really sorry you're having such a rough time. I wish you were stationed out here where all us N. CA mamas could help take care of you. :)
  10. 3boysnagrl

Oh, Shecki! That is so sweet. I'm hoping to someday get out there, that would be so great!

But, my mommy is here and she is doing a pretty good job of taking care of me. I think she was ready to go int othe doctor's office for me the other day because I Was so upset about something. Nothing like a mama protecting her young... or not so young.