ughhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Large Families' started by teathymes, Jan 24, 2008.

1. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

so, I have rice from dinner stuck to the bottom of my socks, which is sticking my pant legs to my feet and my feet to the floor and it is annoying the snot out of me. So, while I am in this totally freaking agitated state of mind, I have a few questions for those of you who are doing this without losing your minds...

how do you keep your kitchen table/chairs clean and uncrusted? Is there like a shellac or something? An 'anti-hand wiping sticky finger crusty hunks of debris that turns into cement and will not wipe off shellac"? cause I am ready to do away with the table and chairs all together and feed them off of bowls on the floor. while I eat in the closet. by myself. with chopsticks. and music. loud

what does your evenings look like? Cause mine looks like chaos. If my dh is not here to play zone defense with me, all hell breaks loose around here, I am trying to make and clean up dinner, somebody had a tough day and is whining and complaining about it, oldest dd cannot find one single peaceful second or location in the house to do her homework, baby is trashing the place, the preschooler is harrasing everyone and I am ready to run for the hills.
    Like right now.

Suggestions?
  2. CiaraLinn

CiaraLinn ~Finding my way~

somewhere deep in the heart of a smalltown...
    :hug: I am SO there wit' ya, mama!!
  3. anni

anni New Member

I just found this forum and.....

bless you I thought it was just me. Maybe not so much at dinner time, but like...I don't know....!all day long.
    I just found this forum and bless it too
    anni
    who has just spent the last 4 days watching Norwalk Run through our house.
  4. Mamaheart7

Mamaheart7 the world is quiet here

:lol: I'm sorry for laughing . . . it was the rice image that got to me.

My dh works evening shift! Yikes!

You know what has made the whole evening situation better here? And I kind of don't know how to translate this for anyone else . . . but having an 18 month old with severe multiple food allergies, not allowed to eat ANY food, we've just HAD to make a strict post-dinner routine. Everything gets done, food put away, dishes done, floors swept, table wiped, chairs checked - RIGHT AWAY after dinner. Different people, even little people, have jobs, and it actually doesn't take all that long.

I am a . . . uhmmmm . . . relaxed (OK, lazy) mama about all of this otherwise and having this little guy who thinks himself a one-man floor inspector and crumb taster has forced us into this routine. But I'm so amazed! All of that stuff gets done right away, and then the whole evening is just so much better. I am more free to be a fun person with the little people or available for a conversation while moving a laundry load or whatever. Everything is so smooth, who knew?

But mornings. Ugh. I'll take your spot in the closet with the chopsticks then.
  5. 5littlebugs

5littlebugs New Member

I am slowly starting to get here. My dh is a wrestling coach and is gone three nights a week plus usually all day on one day a weekend. He also works from home and has a hard time turning off work mode so is missing on the other evenings too. Needless to say, dinner is usually a circus.

My big fault is that I *hate* to cook so I have a tendency to push it off. On the nights that I get in and feed them on time there is such a difference in their behavior. I wouldn't say angelic but definitely better. I am still working on the cleaning up routine. It's not going so well so far.:vent: Can anyone explain to me why it is impossible to teach my teenagers how to sweep properly??? My 2yr old does better with her broom.
  6. waterlily

waterlily arrived

TV during prep time. One helper sets table. Another helper clears table. Dh whisks kids away for pj time while I wash dishes (or he washes dishes while I jabber and kids run loose, then when he takes kids upstairs I finish because he never finishes). And no advice about the stickies. I try to take care of the chairs once a week and the table is wiped several times a day. Now how to get them to stop complaining they don't like the food and refusing to eat? My dh says no pm snacks and they will come to the table hungry but I feel like I am starving them that way.
  7. nitya

nitya New Member

No answer here. We eat on the floor, but DH doesn't like the floor getting dirty. His solution has been to eat on a tablecloth, but honestly I HATE IT. We haven't found anything that solves the problem. I wish We had LOL.

--NB
  8. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

aw mama's! Thanks for the support everyone, I had not been back to check this thread until now!

I ended up writing out a little 'schedule' for our nighttime routine that has helped alot, even though we have not really followed it roflol,just writing it made me feel better!

I hate that the end of the day still requires my energy and I just want to zone out and be done!
  9. clane

clane Bookish Mama

Luckily we have a dog who likes most table droppings. I tend to mop every or every other day as the same dog tracks in sand (we have gritty sandy dirt in FL, not soil) and I can not stand to walk on a gritty floor. DH doesn't seem to care--he will clean up leftovers and load the dishwasher if I nag. Sometimes I can cajole and he will step in for bath and bed routines, but usually the wee one yells for "mommy do it" and then the next time he will say "why do I bother- she wants you anyway". Grrr--darn those mama's girls. Not really, but it does get tiresome being the one "on call" in the house all the time. "Mommy, I want a drink; Can I have a snack, can we play x, y or z?" Sometimes I think they get so accustomed to being here with me that it just does not occur to them to ask DH, expect for 9 yr DS when mom says no (serious GRRRRRRRR here!).

I have gotten terrible about letting the kids snack (healthy snacks) before dinner as then I can cook in peace. :(

(And this is with my three- I know some of you have double the little ones around.)