ugh! spelling....

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by punkin, Apr 20, 2010.

1. punkin

punkin Amity's Focus Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. sweet~potato

sweet~potato Active Member

My ds is only 9 but did horribly when I tried to use a spelling curriculum with him. The words they were giving him to spell were not words that were important to him, so he just didn't remember them over time.

What *has* worked great is just plain old writing. he loves making comics, writing letters, playing on webkins chat, sending emails to friends, etc. He asked me how to spell a words, I told him and many times he remembered after just that once. If i saw something was spelled wrong, I told him and he fixed it. I am amazed at how many different words he can spell correctly now as compared to when I tried the spelling curriculum. I don't know if this helps, just some ideas.:)
  3. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Is it on this website?

I lost the awesome practice test bookmark but I have this one, you should be able to find something there.

If not lmk and I'll post some more that I have to hand.

Hth!
  4. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

We struggle with spelling here, too - except for Adam - he's a natural speller.

Austin and Nate are getting a LOT better - but seriously, sometimes they ask me how to spell very very simple words that they SHOULD know. Very frustrating. But... this year we spent more time writing, and we didn't do a particular spelling program, and they both improved SO MUCH this year.