UCK, my stinky stinky diapers, I can't get the smell out...

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by ~MamaCharly~, Jun 21, 2005.

1. ~MamaCharly~

~MamaCharly~ Moderator Staff Member

I have stripped and re stripped, changed detergent and they stink to high heaven. And when ds goes pee..... OPEN THE WINDOWS! What could be wrong? My water is the same and I've used the same detergent on them for months and it's only been in the last week or two that the smell is really bad. Like I said I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed, then used baking soda, vinegar, rinsed and rinsed and rinsed again. Used a new detergent rinsed again and again and they still smell!!!
    I feel like throwing them out and starting over. I don't know if his urine is getting stronger or what. I've had to change his bed sheets every other day because just the smell from him sleeping in the diaper makes the sheets STINK.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    TIA :)
  2. thrifty_sahm

thrifty_sahm Now a WAHM

I finally had to quit using detergent all together. I just use baking soda with vinegar and a few drops of tea tree oil. What kind of diapers are you using that stink so bad?

Sorry, I have no other advice.
  3. Stargazer441

Stargazer441 Searching

When my ds urine gets powerfu like that I have to really make sure he's getting plenty of water. That usually helps. :)

Otherwise vinegar usually works for me in the rinse so I'm out of ideas. :(

Hope someone can help you figure it out! :) Or you could get a clothespin for your nose. ;) :hahaha: (sorry, it sounded funny in my head)
  4. fullmoonmama

fullmoonmama girlfactory

That's how I was washing my toddler's diapers as well................do a good first rinse to get any extras out. Then I get an empty plastic juice bottle, gallon size, and put 1/2 cup of baking soda in. Then I put 5 drops or so of tea tree oil, then fill with hot water. Shake until dissolved, pour into the washer. I didn't have a "rat cage" smelling diaper after I started that system. You should try it first to see if it works before going to costco/sams for the 10# bag of baking soda. Fortunately, my infant doesn't have the foul pee dipes yet. I really think its a toddler thing.
  5. jessica_momof7

jessica_momof7 Super Breeder

I learned on MDC that if you have hard water, adding vinegar can make that kind of problem happen.

Once I stopped using it, I haven't had any problems.
  6. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

I have hard water and vinegar can be deadly! I add a small amount of baking soda to every pre-rinse cycle (about 1/4 cup) and do an extra rinse after the regular wash. When the hemp dipes/inserts really start putting out a PEE stink I'll do a long soak of all clean diapers using 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup vinegar. I only use a no-residue detergent (allens naturally) and only use 1/2 oz per load - still, with two toddler boys wearing our dipes they can still get odiferous. But regular use of vinegar almost killed us all things smelled so bad.....
  7. Momme

Momme Active Member

To get the stink out, you might try RLR (I'm not sure what it stands for or what it is, but I read about it on a site that sells dipes.) It can be found at Walmart the package comes with two small balls and it's hanging up in the laundry isle. After the stink is out you might want to try Sport Wash, or SensiClean (they are the same thing). Some Walmarts carry the Sport Wash in the hunting/camping dept. It is made to not leave a residue or ordor.
  8. ~MamaCharly~

~MamaCharly~ Moderator Staff Member

I actually looked at wal-mart for the sport wash because I'd heard about it before, but it was out of season :rolleyes: How do you use the RLR? I've never heard about it before.

I might try the juice bottle and TTO thing too.

I do have hard water but I don't ususally use the vinegar much but maybe I'll cut it out all together.
  9. Momme

Momme Active Member

I would use the RLR without detergent (although the instructions say to use it with your detergent) on hot with two rinses. I can't remember which site I read about RLR on, but it recommended it for stripping dipes. I've tried the baking soda and TTO, GSE, and I still like the Sport Wash better (It is out of season here also) Some WAHMs sell SensiClean on their sites, it's just that shipping gets expensive.

I have a front loader and I use hemp, I believe that I have hard water as well, and I don't get stink if I use the Sport Wash.
  10. Selissa

Selissa Who said I was Girly????

i have hard water too... a few months ago my diapers reaked. stripping helped but didn't cure the problem. finally i broke down and bleached them (1/4 cup bleach) then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed until i couldn't smell any bleach anymore.

it worked and it was the only thing that would.

right now i am using baking soda, tea tree, and vinegar..but I'm gonna try Dawn (1 tsp per load) i hear good t5hings about it. lol
  11. TheDoodysMom

TheDoodysMom Member

What type of washer do you have (top or front loader?). Do you have hemp dipes?
    RLR from Walmart helps, as well as Calgon if you have hard water. RLR is this powder that comes in the little ball thingy that ryssann described. I just dump the powder in like it's detergent. Toddler pee is some powerful stuff, though! Toddler pee, hemp, and hard water is a very stinky combination, LOL.
  12. SaphiraKay

SaphiraKay New Member

I had troublewith my diapers stinking too. I looked for scent a way at WM but was also told it was out of season. I bought my scent a way at Arkansas Field and Stream in Conway. Call Joe and tell him Amanda told you that his store is the best place to get this stuff. It is 7.99 for a 32 oz bottle and it really works. I normally buy three bottles at a time.
    hth
    amanda
  13. Megmama

Megmama Happy Happy Joy Joy

Ok..this is the simplest solution of all. I had the same problem, especially with hemp, and it was making me insane..

It turned out, all I really needed to do was turn up the heat. I needed to get the water, really really really hot. If you have to boil water and turn off the cold spigot to your washer, turn up the heat on the hot water heater...do it. It worked like a charm, no more stink at all!!

So...routine is: Rinse to get excess gook out, soak in baking soda for a few hours, Wash with very little free and clear detergent, rinse with a shot of bac-out. Rinse clear.
    Make sure the wash cycle is as hot as you can get it.
  14. Gracie

Gracie New Member

I never had that problem when we lived where we had city water. There was a tiny amount of chlorine in that water.

When moved and then had well water, we started having problems. I started adding a tablespoon of bleach to the water and the smell went away.

I tried every combination of this and that and nothing worked. Bleach worked for us. I used all Bumkin AIO's and it never hurt them.
  15. jessica_momof7

jessica_momof7 Super Breeder

The RLR are balls that you throw in with the diapers. It strips wonderfully!! I could not believe how awesome it worked. they are usually handing on the little tags that hang down from the shelves.

use that to strip them and then try adding a small amount of the liquid calgon in your wash every time. you will be amazed at the difference!
  16. LazyLukesSlings

LazyLukesSlings christy

When stripping doesn't work here I just run our dipes thru a cycle of just very hot water and tea tree oil, then wrinse it a couple times.