Transforming the Difficult Child - The Nurtured Heart Approach

Discussion in 'Gentle guidance' started by Amethyst, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

Has anyone ever read this book or gone to the seminar? I'm thinking of buying the 6 dvd set of the seminar, but I don't want to spend $100 without a review. Thanks. :)
  2. spiritfreedom

spiritfreedom raunchy title instigator

I have not, but boy that title caught my eye. Having a really tough time with Faith.
  3. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

If you go to www.difficultchild.com, it will tell you more. It looks great. (doesn't mean it is.) It's a loving, medication-free (they are VERY anti-meds)approach to dealing with kids with behavioral issues.
  4. Shifra

Shifra New Member

In the fine line between reality and sanity!
    I have never seen the videos but I really found some of the info in the book really helpful. I had a really difficult time with my son for awhile when he was 4-5 years old. He has really matured quite a bit now at 7. I just thought that I needed to get it back out to refresh my memory for my very spirited 3.5 year old though.
    Karen
  5. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

Thanks, Shifra! :big hug:
  6. EmoMom

EmoMom Active Member

Oh my gosh! This might be what we need. Since she was born, our DD has been described by different pediatricians as "high-needs" "sensitive," etc. etc. She just came onto this planet with a different point of view, a cranky point of view. Well, I won't steal the thread with my own pity party, but she's been a real pia lately and when I saw this, it just clicked. Thanks!
  7. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

Woo. that sounds very, very familiar! :)
  8. I have this book, but it has been awhile since I read it (3 years). I do remember it being helpful. Guess, I should go re read it:)
    I don't know that I would pay $100 for it. Just get the book and read it and then if you think you still need the DVDs then go for it.
  9. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

I guess I was thinking that I'm too *ADD* right now to read and absorb a book with all the kidlets running around. LOL! I also think if it's in dvd form, I can get my dh to watch it too. He probably wouldn't read the book. :rolleyes:
  10. EmoMom

EmoMom Active Member

Here I am again, right there with you. I have a STACK of parenting books beside the bed, including Raising Your Spirited Child, The Care and Feeding of Indigo Children, Little Sugar Addicts, etc. etc. etc. I can't seem to get past the first few chapters and I forget all of it the minute I put the book down. :rolleyes:
  11. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

*sigh*. I feel your pain, mama. I have soooo many good books (the Sear's "Discipline Book", "Rule #1, Mom Has Fun" (a seemingly good one about creating boundaries), "Raising your Spirited Child", "Raising your Strong Willed Child", "What Did I Just Say?", blah, blah, blah.... the list goes on and on. They all have about 1 chapter read in them. It's so frustrating to try to read these days.
  12. spiritfreedom

spiritfreedom raunchy title instigator

Jo, I got the book on tape :The Explosive Child", library loan. Was very informative.
  13. amyshrink

amyshrink Guest

This is the most effective approach to parenting I have ever used. I'm a therapist as well as a parent. I use it at home as well as in my clinical practice. I've trained teachers in special needs classrooms, regular preschool and school age rooms, and without a doubt when you use this approach you WILL see success. There's new online parenting course "energy parenting" you can sign up for now also. It is a very basic, common sense approach to interacting with your children. It also makes sense to interact with adults using the techniques, too.
  14. joli

joli sitting at the head of the Amity round table

I've taken the seminar and read the book. I like it a lot, but I didn't find it to be the end all be all for my parenting. DEFINITELY worth using, absolutely worth using especially with parents who feel like they are 'mismatched' with their child.

A lot of it was common sense to me, but plenty of it was more than worth repeating/relearning. Some of it was brand new or presented in a very new way.

~jo
  15. Jony816

Jony816 Guest

:lol: :lol:
  16. TraceyH

TraceyH Following the Son!

I, too, need to check out this site! I am *ADD* with books and have a stack of parenting books as well. I got Explosive Child last year and have yet to read it! Prayer, prayer and more prayer has helped and healed a ton in our family.