Traditional Foodways Questions(raw milk, seeds)

Discussion in 'Super Crunch' started by Kbsmama, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

OK, I'm jumping in with not much info. I've read Nina Planck, some Mercola, but not Fallon or other books on how to do this...

We have raw milk at our house! I bought a cow share yesterday and came home with 2 gallons of glorious, raw grass-fed Jersey milk. So, I have questions.

With Raw Milk, do we approach consuming it the same as pasteurized homogenized milk? Do you avoid it when you have colds? Do you have four servings daily?

Is it normal that at the moment, I feel like I could drink it all day? Is that because it contains things I've been missing, or is that a sign of a sensitivity or allergy?

With soaking seeds, nuts, and grains, do I also soak flax seed before grinding? Does that change their fatty acid content?

I will be continuing to read...;)
  2. Mamaheart7

Mamaheart7 the world is quiet here

We drink raw milk here exactly like pasteurized, only for us it's really expensive, so I won't use it in any application where it will be heated to the point where the enzymes are killed - for example, in baking, cooking, etc. I know it's still better than the pasteurized milk, but it's financial at our house.

But anywhere it's not heated we use it, and freely as we think it such a health food :) .

And we do have 2 girls who are very dairy allergic (rast level 6; >100%), but before we found that out (they are not anaphylactic, but have other serious health problems as a result), they did NOT crave milk. They also did not avoid it - they were the same as any of us toward milk. I know some people crave their allergens, but I also know people (including one of my dc) who instinctively avoid/dislike their allergens.

Can't speak to the flaxseeds, although I'll watch this thread - we soak grains, but I never thought to soak my flaxseeds - just grind 'em and use 'em!
  3. Redterra

Redterra Just me, doing my best

We switched to raw milk a couple of months ago... before that I bought both organic pasteurized and soy milks, and we probably used more of the soy b/c previously milk has made DS more snotty. So, I don't know if it is the raw milk itself or maybe he grew out of the seemingly-milk-related snottiness, but the raw milk doesn't seem to have the same effect.

We do consume raw milk just lke we would any other milk, and for us, it's actually CHEAPER by a little bit than organic pasteurized! Since switching, I do tend to drink it more often - not necessarily a craving, but it's just so satisfying! And being pg, it's a good fix in those moments when I need a little something but I'm not outright hungry. DS is such a milkovore anyways, but that's another story... trying to decrease milk intake for that one.

I'm no help at all on the flax seeds...
  4. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

I posted this question on another site and was told there is no need to soak flax seeds, as they are low in phytates(is that the correct term?)
  5. PinkLotusMama

PinkLotusMama New Member

I am new here and so excited to see this thread! We are a TF family, we use a lot of the WAPF theories for our own family.

Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon is really good basic info. Although there is A LOT of info, it can be kind of overwhelming if you try to do it all at once. I must admit that I don't always use her recipes, but the ones that I have used from the book have been pretty good. I just mainly appreciated the book because of the wealth of knowledge in it.
  6. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

I just got NT from the library. It is quite the tome...I will have to buy my own copy, I think.
  7. brooken

brooken New Member

Could someone explain the benefits of raw milk that you don't get from pasteurized?
  8. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

9. brooken

brooken New Member

10. scorch_dc

scorch_dc New Member

I have had milk allergies my whole life, but amazingly enough, don't have allergies drinking raw milk!

(Regular milk makes me stuffed up, headaches, hives, sneezing, asthma--raw milk, none of that)

We consume it just like regular milk. We make yogurt. We make soft cheeses. We use the whey to soak grains. We bake with it. We make butter. :) All good!!!
  11. RAF

RAF New Member

I sometimes want to drink a lot of raw milk and other times not. I think it has to do with something the milk contains that you need, like calcium or fat. When I was pregnant this last time, I had a much more intense want for drinking milk than I do now for some reason. I also noticed that for us, when there is an allergy/intolerance issue with something, we will want to eat it almost exclusively, and it will make for a very imbalanced diet.