To be a "Christian" do you have to believe what Jesus taught?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by mamajandtheboys, Mar 2, 2010.

1. LifesaBeach

LifesaBeach Amity's Focus Member

yah Robin...we had that week too. The destructive self talk, the things people have said to you that have effected you deeply that we don't let go of long after said offender has moved on. oh yeah. bring tissues. I don't know if I could handle any more of that topic.

Is that an actual book?
  2. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

It is the author is Jennifer Rothschild. I have been through it once and am leading it with the gals from our church. It is tough but so true.

She talks about everything we say to or about ourselves being stored in the "closet" of our mind. The imagery is powerful and so true.
  3. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

4. LifesaBeach

LifesaBeach Amity's Focus Member

oops Rebecca! it wasn't a book. It was just part of the study ... I have 4 pages of scriptures (the scripture in its entirety) so about 22 in all.
  5. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

6. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

I actually may have a Bible for you...
    Busy Mom's Bible - Zondervan

They are giving them away - 5000 of them. I got mine within a week of filling out the form. It's a nice leather bound NIV Bible. It has some sections devoted to being a mother. It's a nice size and it's pretty cool colors. ;) See if they still have the free ones available!
  7. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Well, Paul wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit so while it did not come out of Jesus' mouth (most likely because he was mostly addressing Jews and homosexuality was quite taboo amongst the Jews so it would be like speaking to vegetarians about humane slaughter - LOL. But Paul speaks clearly on homosexuality numerous times because he was dealing with churches that were in areas that were dealing with it.

As for the Ten Commandments, you are correct - they are also part of the law and we as Christians do not need to follow it as "law". However Jesus did reiterate 9 of the 10 commandments and thus we are to follow them because we love Him - not to earn any favor or anything.

Does that verse prohibit pearls and gold jewelry and expensive clothing? What if we just skipped clothing all together because who says what is "expensive"? The rest of the sentence goes on to say (after the comma) "but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works." So it's not about the items in particular but what are we to show the world? A Tammy Fae kind of look that is all made up fancy and such or is it good works, humbleness and decency? It's not a prohibition but it's addressing the heart. Peter wrote a parallel passage in 1 Peter 3 that says "Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious."
  8. annsni

Exactly. Punishing is up to God but we SHOULD help our brothers and sisters by teaching them and, at times correcting or admonishing them if needed. If I see someone following a wrong teaching, I would have to hate them to not speak to them to show them the truth of God's Word. It's not my responsibility to MAKE them follow what the Bible says but I will be held accountable for holding my tongue as we see in 1 Corinthians 5.
  9. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

Oooh, let me throw this in for consideration. For DH's birthday I got him an ESV and I steal it from him all. the. time. I love it. LOVE it. He told me the other day to go buy my own. It's all I can do to keep from writing in it. So that would be my recommendation. :thumbsup:

I like to read through with each day doing a chapter out of the OT, and then a chapter (or more) out of (each) a Psalm, a Proverb, a gospel and an epistle. DH does read through plans each year that he finds -- the one he's currently doing is actually in the back of his Bible that I mentioned above.
  10. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

I'm still reading the thread, but wanted to post before I forgot: #6 is specifically refering to wool and linen being mixed together in the same garment - not any other synthetic. We are extraordinarily careful to not mix wool and linen and there are businesses out there whose job it is is to check garments to ensure that there is none mixed together.

And yes, my boys do not have 'bowl' haircuts - we leave their sidelocks long for this reason.
    I do a good job following that list well, minus the ones that are referenced in the N.T.
  11. xt

xt Active Member

nm. I should know to stay out of spiritual discussions by now.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  12. mamajandtheboys

I like the way the Message puts it, too: And I want women to get in there with the men in humility before God, not primping before a mirror or chashign the latest fashions, but doing something beautiful for God and becoming beautiful doing it. (1 Tim 2:9-10, The Message)
  13. mamajandtheboys

for some reason i can't edit -- that should say "chasing". :eek: :lol:
  14. Tiffany

Tiffany Amity's Focus Member

Linen is made from flax seed, not an animal :scratch:

Linen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  15. tikva18

I don't understand what your question is.

This is in reference to Deuteronomy 22:11 You shall not wear combined fibers, wool and linen together. The Hebrew word sha'atnez suggests that the fibers are pressed or woven together in the same garment or cloth.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  16. tikva18

And, Tiffany in your link - the wikipedia one - it says right there that it's linene and wool - just I just posted.
  17. Tiffany

Tiffany Amity's Focus Member

I must be confused. I though you couldn't combine 2 *animal* fibers?

ETA: Nevermind, my bad ... I read incorrectly. Sorry Rivka.
  18. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

Ok, I am only on page 1, so maybe it's been covered.

Katie, the verses regarding braiding ones hair, wearing jewelry, continue to discuss that it is about your HEART. Also, in the discussion of head coverings, Paul says that these are CUSTOMS and not commands. It isn't a contradiction, it's the rest of the discussion.

Which Bible? I personally use the New American Standard translation. It is generally considered to be the most literally accurate. When there are qustions, I turn to the Greek or Hebrew accordingly.
  19. mamajandtheboys

That's what I do as well -- though lately I'm loving the ESV. Home | ESV Study Bible | Crossway
  20. annsni