To be a "Christian" do you have to believe what Jesus taught?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by mamajandtheboys, Mar 2, 2010.

1. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

I was going to leave the thread - it's obviously not about me here :), but I can't help it:
    There were a number of false messiahs during his time - he was one of them. List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism's_view_of_Jesus
    Here is a link that describes what it takes to be the messiah (Hebrew for messiah is moshiach or mashiach): What is the Jewish Belief About Moshiach? - Key Jewish FAQ's
    Mashiach:  The Messiah / Torah 101 / Mechon Mamre
  2. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

That was so interesting, Rivka! Thank youi for sharing those lionks. :)
  3. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

:lol: @ my typos. Replied on my blackberry. Small keys + fat fingers = many typos. ;)
  4. Ariadne Umbrell

Ariadne Umbrell New Member

Oy. the bloody transaction is only one reading of what happened.

A more sensible reading is what I understand the Orthodox Christian position to be- Jesus was killed. Jesus went into Hell as a dead person, and then effected a daring rescue of all the beloved children of God- rescuing us from hell, sin, damnation, and eternal torture. There are icons about this- Jesus revealing himself as the Strong Man of the Bible- grabbing out all of our ancestors, and freeing us from the house of slavery and death. His miraculous re-LIFE occurred then- he had to die to gain entry into the House of Death- and he did, and he was transformed into LIFE- and he rescued us.

And since, I really truly believe that that was an event both in time, and in eternity, I am thinking that Jesus, in some ways, is still in the House of Death, rescuing us, as well as alive, and in Heaven, and on Earth. So, the question about "what happens if you die, and have never heard of Jesus?" to me- I think Jesus is still rescuing that person. Even, Jesus and God have been presented to you in a horrifying fashion- I'm not sure that is persuasive. But, say, you grow up in a Christian culture, and in a loving Christian home, and run away, and stay "runnoft" then- and really, only then- do I think you choose to remain in Hell.

I think, in some real ways, Jesus coming to earth was not for a divine transaction, but so that we could begin to practice with G*d the creating of heaven. By means like- mercy, charity, forgiveness, the overthrow of the slave trade- universal literacy- orphanages, hospitals- things like that.

ari