To be a "Christian" do you have to believe what Jesus taught?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by mamajandtheboys, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

I do not have any specific biblical verses in mind. I could look some up, but for me as well as for many (and here we go ;) ), the bible is not viewed as only being an inspired word of God, but also a sociological reflection of the time in which the oral tradition was written down. Many many of us do not view the bible as being 100% literally true and written down as God transcribed.
  2. hana

hana Active Member

Thanks, Rebecca. It doesn't really matter; I just wondered if indeed it was in the Bible as I never saw it.

Yeah, the church I attended was a the-whole-Bible-is-literally-true and it-doesn't-count-if-it's-not-in-the-Bible kind of place. It was my life all day Sunday and at least twice during the week while I was growing up. My sister and her family are still at the same church (now over 40 years).

It's kind of funny that I went straight from there to the UU church (carrying my Bible and wearing Sunday best the first week, lol).

I hope I don't sound like I'm still trying to come to terms with that. I'm all good. I just find it interesting to see how other people/religions deal with it.
  3. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Just getting back here - sorry - CRAZY busy day but it was good. :)

The way I see it is this: We know God and His character. He's good, He's loving, He's just. He will not do anything wrong. SO...anyone who goes to hell deserves to go to hell. If anyone does not deserve hell, then they will not go. God desires that none would perish so He makes sure that every single person on this earth is given enough to know to choose Him or not and that is what He will judge them on. And it's a right judgment because God is holy. Does that make sense?

Yes, there are many who believe in an 'age of accountability" and while it's not expressly written about in Scripture, we see some examples of it in practice. God held the Israelites accountable for their grumbling against Him after leaving Egypt and He decided that none of them would set foot in the Promised Land who were over the age of 20. So that actually makes one think that up to 20 years old, God won't hold us accountable. But then again, Jesus spoke of children coming to Him, so maybe it's younger. So pretty much the Bible doesn't say that at a certain age, we will be held accountable but that no one will have an excuse so He must make sure that even the baby and the mentally disabled are able to understand the Gospel in some form or fashion.
  4. Sunflower_Momma

Which is an interesting interpretation as to me it would suggest that the children are already there regardless. He welcomes the young to him whether they have accepted Christ or been baptized or whatever. Not that they would also be held accountable.
  5. annsni

Well, there's no salvation outside of Jesus so it has to be through Him. Just not sure how He works that. :) I know that each of my children came to Christ at a very young age - all the girls were 4 and my son was 5. So I think 20 is kind of a stretch.
  6. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

Interesting. Ava was convinced at age 5 that she wanted to be baptized and my pastor would not do it. He said she was not ready. She knew all of the facts and expressed her desire, but he wanted her to wait. And a couple of years later she had changed her mind about what she believed. (After she was exposed to other beliefs)
  7. annsni

We also wait to have our children baptized for two reasons:

#1 - They need to be able to express their faith in their own words. Not just the echoing of what we've said but to tell about how God works in their lives on their own. We've found this to usually happen around the age of 9 or so.

#2 - Practical reason - the baptismal is too deep before then. LOL Seriously, unless it's just children being baptized, which it never is, the baptismal is pretty deep. Here's a pic from my 9 year old being baptized by his dad just last month. You can see how deep it is.

[​IMG]
  8. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Not ignoring this, I found an interesting blog/website talking about this (age of accountability) the other day but didn't bookmark it. I will try to locate it sometime this weekend and post it.
  9. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

Well, of course I don't share that belief - and I've heard of Jesus, but he was so obviously not a part of our belief system. There are other religions out there - it could well be, that there is more than one way to G-d.
    I feel confident that my beliefs are the right ones.
  10. ChantingMama

ChantingMama The Divine Miss M

I'm totally staying out of this conversation, cause I don't think a lot of what I have to say is any way a contribution to this conversation between Christians, but I'll chime in here. :p

In our path, we reach a point where we make a choice that this is what we want to do, and we accept a teacher and make a commitment. And we will not be accepted as a student/disciple until we well and truly understand what we are asking. So children need to also reach a point of knowing what they are committing to. One of our very basic tenets is no illicit sex (sex outside fo marriage, etc)..so until they are old enough to truly understand what they are being asked, it is not right to let them commit to it, and then break that commitment when they realize just how strong the sex desire is and they are unable/unwilling to fight it. I see it as a similar thing to what you are talking about here.

And, of course, obviously I agree with Rivka here. :lol: I do not believe that God is so narrow that he will only accept one path to him, no matter how sincere the intent and heart of the person is. I believe he is bigger than that.
  11. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

ditto from a Christian!
    And, with that, we have come full circle on this thread!
    ;)
  12. annsni

Jesus said that there is one way to God and I take His word as Gospel. ;)

If there are other ways to God, then Jesus didn't have to die. That was a big sacrifice for nothing.
  13. Sunflower_Momma

:nodyes:

:)
  14. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

absolutely. I wonder why those that don't believe that think Jesus was crucified? Or do they think that's just another story out of a book. :badidea:
  15. Wendi

Wendi Amity's Focus Member

Yep :) All stories out of a book
    And the different interpretations in this thread only cement this
    Humans wrote a book - maybe it happened, maybe it didn't
  16. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I am not sure whether I believe that Jesus rose from the grave. I wonder if he was crucified and then his grave was robbed. I guess I'll find out some day...maybe. It cannot be out of the realm of possibility that he was a preacher, and a very charismatic one, but just that. The only thing I know for sure is that I don't know:)
  17. ChantingMama

ChantingMama The Divine Miss M

I don't believe Jesus was crucified to "save" me. I believe he was crucified by man, for their own ends, and Jesus accepted his fate as the will of God, and because he loved us so much, he asked God to forgive them, because they were too dumb to realize what they were doing.

I am not comfortable in the very slightest with the idea that Jesus was crucified to take on my sins. The idea that salvation is by letting the most dear wellwisher I will ever have endure the most incredible torture and pain for me is unacceptable. And I cannot accept that the only way God will accept me back at his side is if I can accept the pain and suffering of his beloved in my place. Why would he ask that of me? Why would he make the only way home to my Father, my true, eternal home, by making me accept something so incredibly repulsive to me?

Hey, you asked. :) (And boy, did I go overboard with "accept". Ahem.)
  18. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I have heard that quite a bit, and it makes a lot of sense to me.
  19. Christi

Christi Perpetually NAK'ing

Jumping in late here.

So true.

I think this would be awesome!

These are great, thank you for sharing!
  20. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

If you are interested there are some books that examine the "proof" for Jesus' life, death and resurrection. Lee Strobel has one "Case for Christianity". Josh McDowell has one "More than a Carpenter". CS Lewis and Ravi Zacharias are also great writers who examine the truth of the claims of Christ.