This forum needs some posts. LOL What's up in your neck of the woods, economically?

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by naturalmama, Mar 22, 2010.

1. naturalmama

naturalmama New Member

I'm curious how the economy is doing in different places and if anyone is seeing much turn around?

I hear it is coming, but not seeing it yet. And not sure I believe it either. LOL

I'm sure I'm not alone, but prices here on *everything* have gone up by an average of 30% plus.

It is really hurting! Even if things stabilize economically, I don't see prices dropping.

And income can't possibly rise that fast.

I am really, really thankful that we are in an area where we can garden and have our animals to help out.

Aileen
  2. mama2yx

mama2yx In the dark!

We are doing OK. This all has thankfully not affected our household income. We are seeing an affect though now that we are trying to sell the house, because the realtors now take forclosed homes in consideration when they try to come up with a listing price. Just glad we owe lots less than what we will hopefully sell it for.
    Prices do seem to go up, but I buy so much on sale only, that it does not affect us too much. I just stock up tons when the items we use go on sale.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

E v i
  3. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    Not well here.

Found out last night that our home value has dropped by 40G which is about 35%. Also, due to the proposal that will make state workers here pay more for their insurance plus additional retirement spending recs., come July 1st my husband will lose $400 (at least) of income per month. We went from having an inexpensive house we knew we could put money in to make it nice to a home that we don't dare put anything into since we are so upside down in it.

We are doing okay beyond those things though. Our last CC will be paid off this month (our no interest Disney Visa we got for our trip before knowing of the wage cuts that would happen) and my van will be paid off in July. These things will make our budget come close to breaking even with the income reduction. The next year and a half for us will be to pay off debt as quickly as we can with less money. We want to be down to our normal mortgage and student loans by Jan. 2012 (we would pay off HEL, Van, and the extra adjoining property we bought during this time frame).

Our next 18-21 months is going to be spent making a game out of spending the least amount possible. Trying to thrift or get free anything we can. We will not spend unless it is totally necessary. After that time frame has passed and the above debts are gone, we will look at the economy again and see if it makes sense to improve our home.
  4. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

It's the same as always here. The economic outlook has always been dim. But, it seems to be getting worse. Dh has one of the most secure jobs as a teacher but they're talking about consolidating school districts and districts are also implementing severe cuts to their budgets. Everyone is hurting.

I don't notice much of a difference in prices, though. Just no one has a job.
  5. tarablesue

tarablesue ~PeAce~

I notice price increases here,and gas has went back up to nearly $3 per gallon. My Dh has a very secure job and for that I am grateful.
  6. 3Gs4Me

Trying to edit my post but the system won't let me. The wage reduction is $400 of take home pay and not gross. Fortunately, dh position is secure but apparently, the government can do whatever they want with the amount of money he brings home.

On a positive note, I do see a lot of people getting back to basics due to the down turn. I see a lot less non essential purchases when at the supermarket, people are making due with what they have and I have seen gardens pop up where there have not been any before. I have also seen a rise in my co-op membership as people are making more of their own food and spending their money on wholesome staples rather than processed ick.
  7. mama2yx

mama2yx In the dark!

I do see this as a positive side affect too. So many ppl who would never spend their evenings at a dinner table with their kids because they go out to eat now do. I have friends who I never thought would pack their lunches now pack them and people don't seem to be as wasteful with their money, but are learning the hard way to stretch their dollar. Kids, mostly the teens and young adults are probably learning a good lesson from all this too.
  8. marjen

marjen Go!

Here we have both experienced paycuts, my dh more than I. Gas and food has gone up. We are very broke but ONLY because we are paying a lot of money out to pay our 2nd mortgage as quickly as possible. We have had it (with a family member) for a decade but he has had a crisis and need the money, so now we are paying every cent we can - and happy to do so.

I have two kids started college this Sept. I thought about getting a 2nd job but I already work quite a bit, and have the two youngest to think about. So instead we are just decreasing our expenses as much as possible - i.e. cutting out our land line, etc.

However, we do have a very nice standard of living, so I am not complaining. In a few years we will be set to do something pretty great - haven't decided what though - we may both drop down to working seasonal (dh 6 months and me 8 months, of which our employers would have no issue with) so we can travel more, or we have contemplated buying a campground (cottages, trailer and tent sites) to live on and manage. Right now the latter has us more excited, but next week it could be travelling - lol.

I can tell you though that we spend very little money and we are liquidating some of the stuff in our home. We were in Florida for 5 weeks this winter and it helped us re-examine our priorities - and it sure isn't "stuff", so we have sold some of our tvs and computers. We also hope to sell our vehicles and replace it with one that will suit our needs (towing capabilities).

So it is weird for us, our pay is down, we have very little disposable income, but we have never been more excited for the future than we are right now!
  9. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

Things in this area (Phila metro) seem to be good generally. When we sold a house last summer, we lost a bit of money but nothing like the $50K+ drops I've read about in other parts of the country.

The economy in my town seems fairly strong. There have been a few closures of small businesses, but I don't think those businesses would last very long even in a good economy. The other small businesses are thriving. For example, I was in one of our independent coffeeshops last weekend and it was completely packed. Ditto the fairly high-priced indie restaurants in our town - they were all packed to the gills this weekend when I walked by. And there is a tapas place opening in about a month, which shows that some people are still investing in new ventures. My town is affluent, though, and has a lot of local pride, which probably makes a big difference.

Job-wise, things seem stronger here than in most other parts of the country. A friend of mine's DH is an indie carpenter/contractor, and he's been consistently busy all fall and winter. Sometimes he's just doing stuff like odd jobs (gutter cleaning, or small one-day carpentry jobs) but he's been working and getting paid his regular hourly rate almost every day. The people I know in sales have seen a decline but things seem to be picking up for them. My parents are both self-employed and are working just as much as they ever did. I am sure that there are plenty of unemployed and underemployed people in the Philly area, but generally it seems better here than in other parts of the country.

Tara
  10. tydytykesmama

tydytykesmama blissed out mama to 3

We are doing just fine, but we are done about 1-2K a month than this time last year. DH is a pilot and his flight hours are way down. The airline industry is suffering as people aren't flying unless they have to. The airling industry will be one of the last to recover, so we are looking at 2 years at least before we are back to what it was last year. We are not hungry and his job is semi secure so we are good:)
  11. ChantingMama

ChantingMama The Divine Miss M

Lol..I cheer when our gas gets down to $3.13, and quickly load up. :p

I have no idea how things are doing here, overall. I am so low to the ground, all I can see is my own little bubble. I know sales are still way down overall around the country, thanks to my non-commissions I get from all the non-sales I get in my phone sales job (to retailers, not calling during your dinner! :lol: ), but I am doing ok with my cleaning jobs, locally. It helps, I am sure, that I seem to be one of the best around, and people are loving it. Food prices still completely stink, of course. Doesn't help that our food prices are so closely related to gas prices, cause most of our food is shipped in. :(
  12. Briefaerie

Briefaerie New Member

Here it's not too bad. I don't know anyone that doesn't have a job(that actually wants a job at least). Hubby is a cop and so far I haven't heard of any job cuts...they're still hiring. We didn't get a cost of living increase this year but if that's all then I consider us unbelievably fortunate!

As for us we're having a blast seeing how fast we can pay off our credit card. I cut our grocery bill WAY down and have gotten all the kids in the van for garage sales:) Hubby put up a new laundry line today(Home Depot sent us a coupon for $25 off $25.01...we spent $25.07 and got things to fix our toilet, a light for a missing one and seeds to finish out our garden) so I can hang a full load at a time.

Now we're working on hooking up a tv antennae that was here when we moved in but fell over with rust after Hurricane Ike...give us at least local channels in future...we have satellite and are under contract where it'd cost us almost the same to cancel early compared to just waiting it out.

Yesterday we installed a low flow showerhead and I'm switching everyone to body wash(HOW can we go through a bar of soap in two days???).

The hardest part for us lately was this crazy winter...we are on propane heat and it was costing us $750 a month at one point to keep it 67 in our unfinished house! We're now out of propane so here's hoping we don't freeze 'cause we're not refilling it again!
  13. hematite

hematite New Member

It is Terrible here in Northern California for us. My husband took a significant pay cut and our house is under water 100K. I work per diem and have been unable to get a "real" job for 15 months despite intense searching. Food and gas have gone up and we are struggling.
  14. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

things are starting to get a bit strained around here. There are still jobs to be found and I have enough perspective to realize that it's a hell of a lot better here than some places, but there's lots of whining in the local media. School budgets are screwed and lots of changes like one principal handling two schools while others retire.
    I work for a non-profit and we've seen a large decrease in donations. Significant. Ticket sales have dropped also. That started last year. I used to get tons of mandatory overtime (that was nice on the wallet but hard on the stress levels and I would rather have not had so much) but now they make sure to give me days off so I can't complain, lol.
    Sawyer's dept. agreed to give up cost of living raises last year but did get them this year. They have some drama going on that has nothing to do with the economy that has everyone a little worried and if the worst case scenario happens (his dept is absorbed by another city) he could drop in pay a lot.

personally we're fine and actually better every year. I got a promotion and raise at my summer job and we could live frugally without my income anyway. I'm just making it possible to fix the house up faster, save more, and splurge on spinner occasionally. We've been considering me not working as much in the future for pay and concentrating on some of my volunteer stuff.
  15. nanci

nanci jelly belly

we owe $22,000 in taxes!!!!:vent: :vent: :vent: :vent:
  16. willowsmama

willowsmama New Member

Food & gas have gone up a touch more. I'm looking at a apt. closer to school so I won't spend as much time or money driving. I'm watching spending closely and have been back to making meal plans and trying more meatless meals. It makes me cranky that fruits and veggies are so expensive but if I wanted to feel my kids crap food, I would save a ton of money. Thank goodness for hand me downs, i haven't had to buy clothes for the little ones in a long time.

Basically, I'm holding out until I graduate. I won't graduate until 2011 but then I will be a licensed dental assistant. i am back to donating plasma to help ease the budget.
  17. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

I am in the same area as 3Gs4me. Well, in another county, but same area. My DH's income is still floundering--he is in industrial sales. It is hard, hard, hard for him right now. His HUGE company is clearly constantly combing the ranks to look for reasons to lay anyone off. I keep asking him at what point do we say getting by is not enough and look elsewhere, but he hasn't had the energy to do so. Part of it is, I think, knowing that in order to find something, we would likely have to leave the state--probably the midwest, even, and that would mean leaving family. Our income was down 39% from 2008 to 2009.

The good news for us is that I am working again after over 6 months. It is only part time, but it is from home and makes a huge difference for us right now.
  18. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

I'm so sorry to hear this.
  19. 3Gs4Me

Thanks. Just another lovely example of how the government is taking advantage of the education system and it's employees. Seems like a great idea to put a teacher into a classroom with 30+ kids, with no para/ aide help, with less supplies and expect them to be productive and meet guidelines/ state mandates, etc.. all while taking a $400 a month pay cut. Sad thing is that the $400 is across the board and will be about the same regardless if someone is making a new teacher's salary or admin. (at least in our district) since they all have the same ins.
  20. MMJoiner

MMJoiner New Member

It's sucky here. Economy is always bad. DH's employer started giving her money to her children and grandchildren instead putting it into her business. So DH couldn't pay the gas company. This is a gas station, so having gas is kinda important. Business is going down, and I'm worried about him having a job.

He can't change jobs, because Any other job he takes would be at least twice as far from home, and all things considered his take home pay would end up being less than it is now. We can barely survive on what he makes now. We can't survive on less.

I can't go to work because it would cost me too much money to go to work. No car, need to be here for the kids and dh works weird hours so he can't help with day care. The cost of daycare alone would eat up my pay, then gas, clothes and whatever else.

So here we are stuck in this cycle of not making enough money to get by, and not being able to go to a higher paying job, or getting a job at all because it would cost too much. And it sucks, and I'm really tired of it. I wish I could do something to change things, but i don't know what.