Tell me how (and w/ what) you wash your dipes if you have hard water....

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by myshiningstarz, Apr 5, 2005.

1. myshiningstarz

myshiningstarz every soul a treasure

I'm having some stinky issues so I am looking for a new method!
  2. hello1107

hello1107 moving to the next phase

Mine start to stink occasionally, too. When it happens, I usually do a hot water wash with 1/2 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar and use 1/2 vinegar in the rinse cycle. No detergent. Then I dry as usually do. I've found that the soap buildup needs to be removed every once in a while if you have hard water and this seems to do it. :)

HTH
  3. PoetMom

PoetMom Changing my family tree.

This is how I washed my dipes when we had very hard water in Minnesota. It worked great. No stink at all.

First wash in hot water with Tide and a half cup of baking soda (I bought the big bags from a baking supply company or from Sam's if I had to). Ran all the way through. Second wash with just a dab of Tide and a quarter cup of odoban (Sam's club) in cold water.

That's it. The first wash did a very thorough clean because the baking soda softens the water and you have full strength Tide. The second wash does a very thorough rinse and the odoban eliminates any remaining odor. (Odoban kills bacteria, doesn't just cover stuff.)
  4. myshiningstarz

myshiningstarz every soul a treasure

Did you rinse in cold at all first? Normally I throw everything in and rinse it off in cold, then soak in hot. (when I did hot first it always seemed to "burn" the smell into my diapers??) But now I'm wondering if maybe my COLD well water is too cold? Maybe rinsing in warm first would be better? :confused:

Also adding that I think the smell comes from a medication that Lea is on.... the smell in my dipes smells EXACTLY like the medication.
  5. stephen_layla

stephen_layla New Member

medication causing smell

We had a problem with stinky diapers when Layla was using a topical ointment. The smell definately was associated with this b/c as soon as we stopped using it, the really awful smell went away.

I also use the baking soda and vinegar method. That seems to work well. I also sun dry as often as possible (unless it is raining out) and that helps with the freshness factor.
  6. Daphne

Daphne New Member

We do the baking soda/vinegar as well. I shake baking soda in the diaper pail periodically if the pail starts getting stinky, and I add about 1/2 to 1 cup of vinegar to the wash. I also switched from the "regular" wash cycle to a longer wash setting, and that's helped a lot.