Teaching Textbooks vs MUS

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by TulaneMama, Jan 28, 2010.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

WHat are your reviews?
  2. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

I haven't used TT, but we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MUS!! :)
  3. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

We love MUS BUT I am seriously looking at TT for next year. I love the program and know G would love the computer aspect of it.
  4. amyincali

amyincali New Member

Both of my older 2 switched from MUS to TT and they both say they prefer TT. I like that they can mostly do TT on their own. I help a little but most lessons they can do totally independently. I just wish they would hurry up and get the lower grades out.

Our TT 5 has been missing for a couple weeks though. We have spent hours looking for the CDs. Not really an issue with MUS but we did misplace the DVDs used with it a few times. I'm almost ready to order another set of CDs though since dd hasn't done any math since Christmas. I told her she is paying half if that happens since she is supposed to put the CD back when she is done with her lesson.
  5. TulaneMama

YES! Evan would LOVE using the computer...and I have debated getting him his own netbook...secured with some sites allowed for school work next year as he will be in 6th grade.
  6. TulaneMama

i hope to meet you when we move to MD! maybe we could meet in teh middle sometime?
  7. TulaneMama

maybe I will give Ds the placement test....
  8. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I love that it is completely independent. I have several friends here that started using it on my recommendation and all of us can just say "time for math!" and they don't balk or complain. :lol: Some of them demand to do more than one lesson in a day.
    The best thing is that it is completely independent...did I mention that? :lol:
  9. TulaneMama

they check their own work? I find MUS independent.
  10. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

Jacob is 14, but he uses MUS independently.
  11. TulaneMama

evan is 10.5 and for the most part is independent. He teaches himself. We just check his work. But we do this with his other "independent" assignments too.
  12. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I don't know how MUS works, so I can't really compare them. I was just referring to the fact that I don't have to teach any concepts. TT has a lecture at the beginning of each lesson, practice problems and then about 20 problems that are graded.
    For the 4th grade, the one that we have, it scores it and puts it in a gradebook.
  13. TulaneMama

the gradebook is a VERY NICE feature! what if the child fails a lesson? DOes it allow them to move on?
  14. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

We haven't experienced that. :p I am not sure what it does.
    There is a separate gradebook that the parent can access and adjust lessons. I haven't done that either.

Oh, you can also have three students registered on the same software and it will keep track of all of them.
  15. amyincali

amyincali New Member

The lowest score either of my kids has gotten on TT is an 85%. If they are having trouble I have them go through the part where it explains the solution for every problem which makes a lesson take longer. (they like to skip that part to get done faster)
  16. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

On a lot of problems it will give them two attempts. So if they mess up, they can try again. Joseph usually scores well into the 90's with an occasional 85 (maybe 5 all year).
    Joseph doesn't watch the explanations if he gets it correct, only if he couldn't figure it out.
  17. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

My dd didn't like TT so we switched back to MUS this year. I also found that MUS is more advanced than TT... has anyone else found that to be the case? I felt like we had to do tons of catch up. I LOVED the computer aspect of TT though.
  18. TulaneMama

really jenn? not as advanced? hmmm, interesting!
  19. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

yeah, but I don't know if it was because it wasn't my dd's learning style or what... she honestly hated it so that could have contributed to the need for catch up. I still have it and plan on trying it with another child to see if it works better for them, because *I* loved it.
  20. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I guess that is what it really boils down to is learning style. This SO matches Joseph's learning style. The little animated lecture reminds me of brainpop and he has been watching brainpop for almost 3 years just for the heck of it.
    He is very visual and loves the computer.