Teaching Textbook placement tests

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by TeriMomOf4, Apr 30, 2010.

1. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

How accurate do you think they are for placement?
    Last year, I had Joseph take the 4th and the 5th grade tests and he tested that he COULD go into 5th. I put him in 4th because I was concerned about his loosy goose knowledge of facts. Concepts he gets great. Facts depend on whether he runs out of fingers and toes. :p

Right now, I have Libby and Caroline taking the 3rd grade level test. I am pretty sure Libby will be ok in 3rd (she will possibly need to review some things before she starts it). However, Caroline is whizzing through the 3rd grade test. Do I give her the 4th grade test? She quite possibly is going to score 100 on both sections of 3rd grade. She is 7 and would be considered 1st grade today in Texas. I haven't done much math with them (I am staying very consistent about not dealing with math until 3rd grade or so, it would seem. LOL)
  2. Cuddlemama

Cuddlemama Introspective Mama

From what I was seeing on the website, it doesn't look like there is a significant jump between 3 and 4. I think if she is doing that well on the 3rd grade placement, she would be fine with 4th.

TT starts very basic for concepts and review in TT4, building up to multiplication/division very slowly as you move through so she'd probably grow into it even if she is just on the border now.
  3. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

My son just finished 4th grade, so I am familiar with it.
    Caroline just seems so young to be doing it. :p
  4. Cuddlemama

I think I learned quickly with my kids that age is rarely the biggest factor in determining what they can do academically.

The biggest issue around here is that we do have one child who works 3-5 years above his age-mates academically, which puts him well in front of his 2 year older sister in some subjects. It can be a grumpy balance to try to maintain.
  5. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

That's what we are going to start experiencing also.
    She did literature/language arts/social studies/science with Joseph this past year (4th grade for a 7 year old) and now she will be right behind him in math and will probably overtake him since he is very methodical and won't go above and beyond for ANYTHING. I think she will steamroll through the material.
  6. Cuddlemama

You'll be joining me, I imagine, in my constant refrain of, "Every person is different, and we learn in different ways, at different speeds, and have different gifts. We do NOT brag about our gifts or tease siblings and friends who do not have the same abilities. We USE OUR GIFTS to lift up and encourage our friends and family. We do not get angry at those who do work that we cannot do, because they are not doing anything wrong. Ask for help or find common ground."

All 3 of my kids can repeat that very long paragraph from memory. It's said often enough around here that the neighbors are starting to be able to tell you how we feel about this sort of subject.
  7. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

LOL We have a very similar mantra around here.
  8. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

So would it be better to start with 4? I just updated my other post - Rashi did pretty well on the 4th grade placement test... My mother did offer to buy the 4th grade curriculum part way through the year so we could have both...
  9. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Caroline is doing very well with 4th. She is close to 1/2 way done now and consistently makes 95 or better on everything. If he aced the 3rd grade test, I would definitely not go below 4th grade.
  10. gretchen

gretchen New Member

I just printed that out and will be hanging it up on my classroom wall! Thank you!
  11. beautifulfreak

beautifulfreak Sr. Entropy Control Spec.

I did too. I love it !
  12. beautifulfreak

so teaching textbooks is just math? I kinda glanced at it. Is it like Math U See?
  13. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

It is all on cd-rom, not just video. So there is a short video lesson and then some practice problems and then it gives about 20 problems per lesson, corrects it and stores the grades. It also gives them quizzes and timed tests.
  14. beautifulfreak

that is awesome, going to look into it more.