Tapestry of Grace- Heather, anybody else?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by chrissymama, Dec 20, 2010.

1. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

Heather, are you still loving TOG? I am very very interested in it for next year.

Anybody else have experience with TOG and want to give me some reviews?

Thanks!
  2. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

Hi Chrissy!

Yeah, I am still using Tapestry. However, in the spring, we won't be using it. The only reason is because of the charter school. Lotso f the books I need for it, they won't buy... and they won't accept even map work from Tapestry's map program as work samples. :/ When we are no longer using a charter school, we'll go back to using it - probably next year for my high schooler. It is a really really great for for our family.

Things we have loved about it: integrated literature, writing, and history; some cool activities; map work that goes along with what the kids are reading; having everyone learning about the same thing; the questions for the dialectic and rhetoric levels are really pretty deep - and I love the discussion guide to help ME know what is important about what they have read that week. It definitely helps ME, too, as Hisotry is NOT a strong point for me.

That said, make sure you do the 3 week trial. I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost with having your oldest in 4th grade.

I did finally hear back from Lion Bridge. They said that they had enough people in CA. :/ Bummer. If I had a PC, I would apply for one of the other positions. Really was hoping I could get that to make some extra $$ this year. Oh well. Thank you so much for the help with that! I do appreciate it.

Heather
  3. chrissymama

Thanks Heather (and sorry my inbox was full)! That stinks about Lionbridge. I think there is another, similar company called Leapforce- maybe they need people in Ca.

Yeah, I think we'll give the free sample a try. It does seem kind of expensive, but it will be worth it to me to have both Lilah and Noah on the same subject and to have it so well laid out. Also, I can get a lot of the books at the library if I need to.

Thanks again!
  4. chrissymama

Harumph! Well, I just went online at my library to try to reserve the books for the three week trial, and they hardly have any! Charlotte is a pretty big city, but I am not too impressed with the library lately.

I think I'll order several of the books from Amazon and get the few I can from the library. I really want to try this out!
  5. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

I'm not sure which charter you are using, but my EF said that if we are using a "religious" curriculum to make up samples to turn in. Meaning, copy what they did on a worksheet or map onto blank paper leaving out the religious references. Or white out the name of the publisher on the paper etc...
  6. 3boysnagrl

The maps I used didn't have any religous reference at all. And we blacked out the publisher's info on the copy we turned in. So frustrating.
  7. Tap dancin mama

Hmmm, that doesn't seem right to me. Do you have a school handbook with specific directions as to what you can turn in, or is there another mom you can ask what she turns in? I know that there are some facilitators that are super agro crazy, and make life at a charter school miserable for some families. I have a friend who hated the charter school we are at, and it was all the facilitator. And FYI, you can request a new one, if you aren't "clicking" with yours.
  8. amyincali

amyincali New Member

I think we're going to try TOG for fall. I keep wavering though. It is pretty expensive but I like the idea of all the kids being together. Plus I don't know who is going to be at home next year which is making it really hard to plan. I figure I know TOG will work for everyone. We are definitely doing Ancient History so I have that part decided on. If my 2 oldest both go to school though it hardly seems worth the cost of TOG for two second graders and a very young kindergartener. I may as well just do SOTW 1 with them instead. I do think my second oldest will stay home though and she'll be 6th grade in the fall which would make buying TOG worth it to me. I could have all the kids together. I was thinking of doing MFW Creation to the Greeks but I think a lot of the books would be too hard for my twins who will be 7 in the fall.

I brought in all sorts of stuff from MFW for my homeschool review a couple weeks ago and the reviewer was fine with it. I'm not sure if we are prohibited from showing religious samples or not but our reviewer doesn't seem to care. I remember looking into the charters in CA when we were there and loved how they would pay for curriculum and classes but I guess that comes with strings attached. We used an ISP out there and didn't have to show any samples of work but we also paid for all of our materials and classes.
  9. 3boysnagrl

Kelly, We love our ES, really. She tried to get it to be counted for our semester work sample, but since she is a new teacher this year (but has been an independent homeschooling mom for years - actually graduated 2 kids) her coworkers told her it wouldn't be accepted for the semester sample. Not a huge deal - but I really thought those maps and the work they did on them showed so much more than just their reading list.

I'm actually considering NOT having Austin do the charter next year, because of the high school hoops. For instance, he is taking Algebra right now for 8th grade. HOWEVER, if he doesn't complete the Algebra by the end of the school year this year, he will have to START IT OVER at the beginning of next school year! And the requirements for counting history and science. ugh. For the FIRST TIME EVER in the 9 years we've homeschooled... I am not confident in my abilities for high school - all because of hoops and paperwork and beauraucracy. So - I am considering just not having HIM be enrolled. Because the other kids, I have no problem with the learning records and everything, and the money is really really helpful.
  10. Tap dancin mama

I wonder what they are looking for in the samples then? Wierd...

I know for us, high school was a lot more hoops to jump through too. I think that's more common with 9-12th. But that's not a bad idea to just enroll the other kids and not him.