Tanglewood Question

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by Chels~, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

I was looking over the online Schedules and was wondering what BOC meant. For example it says in Grade 2 week 2 *Make a BOC page for Caligula.* Anyone know what a BOC page is?
  2. Wendydagny

Wendydagny Making My Own Atlantis

Book of the Centuries. It's a timeline book.
  3. 4forMe

4forMe Used to be Mamax3

I am interested in Tanglewood too. I like the looks of it.
  4. Rebecca

Rebecca Cunning Woman

WELL ---- we used Tanglewood last year.

Here's my opinion -- They do have good resources, ideas, and the curriculum they put together is 98% complete, but could be further fleshed out. My issue with them is that their "Reading Schedules" are NEVER COMPLETE on their website (like, what good is that???), and I also had a very hard time with getting answers/responses from them via email, and that was very frustrating.

SOoooo -- just a word of caution. Yep, it looks great on paper, and if you're a go-getter homeschooler that doesn't need a lot of support, instruction, etc. -- is fine with writing out your own lesson plans/schedules, and ok with still needing to flesh-out a few parts of your child's education -- then go for it. IF YOU'RE NOT that type of homeschooler, then I'd look elsewhere. Tanglewood does put together good information. I found my books elsewhere at less costs; and then only ordered certain things from them.
    This next year I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet for our son's curriculum. I'm still deciding.
  5. MamaNurse

MamaNurse Chocolate Snob

Driving an SUV powered by Biodiesel made from wast
    Interesting. I've been wanting to do something like this w/ds so that he can have a more hands-on type of approach to the timeline. He's interested in history right now, too.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make one? I've been to the Tanglewood website, but don't remember if they address this.

TIA. :)

Oh...and it was good to read your opinion, Rebecca. I've been interested in Tanglewood since reading about it here.
  6. sagira

sagira New Member

Tanglewood sells a Book of the Centuries for about five bucks. You can print out as many pages as you like as it is a pdf file I believe.

(Wow, talk about resurrecting a thread! :) )

In addition, their corebook/planner is first rate, and great to plan your own lessons. That's the way I want to use Tanglewood. I want to create my own curriculum and plan my own lessons and have space to incorporate my own subjects, like Spanish and Geography. I like the flexibility of Tanglewood above all because children can pursue their own interests along with the curriculum.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2006