Taking a little bit of a new direction

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by 3boysnagrl, Jan 31, 2011.

1. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

So for many many years I have been doing 'school' all together, combining the kids in as much as was possible. This year I am REALLY struggling with keeping my head above water. I feel like I am constantly worrying about them doing 'enough'. I don't have set plans, I feel very disorganized, and I feel like even though we do most stuff together, no one is really doing much/getting much out of it. Feeling quite defeated.

Sooo...

I think we are going to move to something a lot more individual and self directed for the kids. I just ordered samples (one workbook for each kid) from AOP, Life Pack. I ordered one workbook for each kid - each from a different subject so that I could see how they 'feel' to us.

I am struggling - and putting them in school is not an option at this point (we'll be moving before the end of next school year and I am not willing to have them go in and out of another school, not even able to complete a year). I also need some time to devote to helping Chally - reading to her, playing with her, etc.

If this works out, we will have our afternoons to do the 'fun' stuff... science kits, projects, etc., together. And I won't have to be worrying if one child is not getting what they need in x subject (which is happening right now, big time, with Lauren - and to a lesser extent to Adam).
  2. sweet~potato

sweet~potato Active Member

I had my ds1 use the lifepacs after ds2 was born because I couldn't keep up with everything for a while. The lifepacs were great for that. My ds did really well with them, except for a few areas where things were not explained well (I think I remember this problem was mostly in the science books). We didn't continue with them after that year because my ds was growing bored with the constant workbooks, but I think they're great for times when a mom is overwhelmed. Good luck!
  3. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

That sounds similar to what we've evolved into over the past year or so.

I used to aim for rich and creative learning experiences. I finally had to admit that I just didn't have time or energy for all the big ideas I had. It made more sense to switch to something that covered the basics in a way the kids could work independently. More of a "get your work done and then go explore your interests" way of dealing with things.
  4. punkin

punkin Amity's Focus Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  5. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

EXACTLY!

We found another curriculum that our school will pay for that is very similar to Life Packs. So... for this year, I think we'll be doing that. It's character based, and it uses the 10-12 workbooks per school year approach. http://www.starlinepress.com/

I think they should be able to get everything done in the mornings/early afternoon - then they can do the 'fun stuff' like chemistry kits, gardening, butterfly breeding, KNex, toothpick bridges, glass fusing, etc.

I'm just done feeling not 'good enough'. This approach will be good enough for a year - maybe longer.
  6. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

Will your state pay for a private online school?