Spiritual place fluff question: church going attire

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by Sunflower_Momma, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

We are SBC and have casual services so jeans, shorts and fatigues (military community) are the norm. I typically wear jeans and some times khakis with a nice shirt. I am director of our children's program so often can be found holding a baby, working on the floor with children or in general helping out so I rarely wear skirts. We do have some that dress "up" more but people pretty much know that we are casual and that is how they dress. Dh preaches in jeans with either a polo or a dress shirt untucked and sleeves rolled up. Our boys wear jeans or khakis with polo shirts. My rule about jeans is no holes in the knees on Sunday.:lol:
  2. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

I attend services at a Unitarian Universalist (UUA) church. I see everything from suit-and-tie and suits/dresses to shorts and jeans. The entire spectrum.

I don't always wear a skirt or dress (rarely a dress) but I try to dress the same or a little better than if I was going to a friend's house for a party. Sometimes it's jeans, nice top, blazer, heels. Sometimes it's a sweater and skirt and nice shoes. I don't wear sneaks to church.

Tara
  3. Momof6

Momof6 Amity's Focus Member

Roman Catholic

It varies a great deal.

dresses/dress-up

shorts

jeans

and about everything else you can imagine.

Michelle
  4. lawyermama

lawyermama not really a member

Reform Judaism...at our synagogue for Friday night services, it tends to be a little more casual with men wearing nice slacks and no tie, but a collared shirt and women wearing nice slacks/skirt and blouse. Saturday morning much more formal and usually suits for men and suits/slacks/skirt/blouse for women.
  5. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~ Amity's Focus Member

men wear suits, women wear long skirts or dresses & veils. Some of the younger women (teen-ish) have been known to show up in just-below knee length skirts, but it is not encouraged.

We are a conservative Anabaptist denomination.
  6. khlinville

khlinville Amity's Focus Member

SBC - I wear dress pants and a nice top or a skirt and blouse. Dh wears polos and khakis. The boys are in "nice" jeans or khakis and polos. I had hard time letting them wear jeans, but most of the kids, especially in youth, were wearing them and my teen wanted to fit in, so I let him wear them too. I insist on a collar and no flip flops although they sometimes wear keens. The older generations dress up much more.
  7. AngelaJ

AngelaJ Senior Member

UMC here, and most people at out church dress mostly business casual and beyond. Women typically wear dressier capris/dresses/suits/skirts & blouses. Men wear dockers/polos on up to suits. The only time I see jeans are on teenage boys, but pretty rarely even then. However, at UMCs in more rural areas, it's pretty much anything goes. Personally, I would not feel comfortale wearing jeans to church, but I'd think absolutely nothing of seeing someone else in them. :)
  8. Sottaceto

Sottaceto New Member

When we go with DH's family woman wear dresses, skirts, modest shirts, modest shoes; men are in dress shirts and ties and slacks. His family is Mennonite and United Pentecostal.
  9. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I grew up Roman Catholic in MA, and we always wore dresses or dressy pants and my dad always wore a suit. In HI the girls and I attended a SBC and wore dressy pants or dresses and skirts, but more summery, casual. (Aloha attire) In GA I attended a SBC and wore dresses or longer skirts- that particular congregation was more towards the formal end of the spectrum. In NC the girls and I have tried many churches over the past 5 years:) The UU church (all 12 people) were casual- pants and tops- nothing too dressy. The non denominational Christian church shocked me. The worship was a large (800 plus) room of people, all dressed differently, from fancy dress to low rise jeans, heels and butt crack showing. I don't want to see that in public anyway. That last one kind of shocked me, as I grew up thinking that church was supposed to be a bit more formal. I even had to adjust my way of thinking in HI, where everything is casual all of the time- but I grew to love that!
  10. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

But Nanci, Aloha shirts ARE dress up wear here. :lol:

Our church was started as a church of surfers... meeting them right where they were, on the beach in their board shorts.

We see a lot of different things - but never a suit/tie (unless it is someone visiting from the mainland). Often times you will see women in dresses - with their swimsuit ties sticking out. ;) Some people come to church after their morning surf, some are at church before having a beach afternoon. Our preacher wears khakis and an aloha shirt and sandals. Many men wear the same, or polos or polos/aloha shirts with shorts. I have seen some come in shorts and tshirts with flip flops.

Women wear capris, longer shorts, skirts, sun dresses. But nothing too dressy.
  11. twodrunkduck

twodrunkduck New Member

well, i usually wear a dress... but sometimes i wear jeans... it doesn't matter what we wear.. as long as it clean and polite :D
  12. Moller.Dance

Moller.Dance Guest

I am going to some special ceremony at my boyfriends church soon and i have no idea what is appropiate to wear. i dont go to church because i am jewish, so i really have NOOO clue. HELP!!
  13. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

In most churches, you won't go wrong with a skirt and sweater or a nice pair of slacks and a nice top. Think of work clothing (if you are in an office that's not all casual). But then again, what is the special ceremony? When my husband was ordained, I wore a nicer dress since we both would be up on the stage.
  14. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

We are members of an Assembly of God church. It's pretty casual, flip flops and shorts. I'll admit that I try to get my kids to dress a little nicer with at least a shirt with a collar. The teenager pretty much refuses. The littler ones I can still influence ;-)
  15. mom2jflc

mom2jflc Menagerie Mama

Roman Catholic here, and it runs the gamut, but mostly casual, lots of jeans, shorts in the summer (it's the beach). Thinking about it, though, when I was a kid and went to UU church (long story), we always dressed up, and I think that to some extent it's that the times have changed. Certainly, there are variations across denominations, but I suspect that dress in the congregation I used to go to is a lot more casual now, and that my current congregation was a lot dressier then.
  16. norasmama

norasmama Nigel's mama too!

Another DoC here. We have an earlier, more casual service that is almost exclusively jeans, but the later service we go to is a little more formal. Some people in jeans, some of the older people in suits and dresses. I tend to wear skirts or at least khakis to church, which is particularly silly because I am in the choir and wear a big blue robe- I could show up in cutoffs and a concert t-shirt and no one would know.