Spiritual place fluff question: church going attire

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by Sunflower_Momma, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

Was thinking about this. Aside from LSD, what other churches have men almost always wear a suit and tie and women almost always wearing dresses (as in 99.99% of the time culturally)?

So, what do the men and women generally wear at your church and what denomination?

I'm Disciples of Christ going gal and I generally wear a skirt or a dress (you can take the girl out of the church, but you can't take the church out of the girl) while the majority of the church is on the casual end. I did see one guy in a suit and tie last week, but I noticed it because it was so atypical. It is more usual to see jeans on men and women than to see a guy in a suit and tie.
  2. nanci

nanci jelly belly

Non denominational Christian church:

People wear shorts, jeans, flip flops, and sometimes no shoes!!! But others dress up a bit on Sunday. I have never seen a suit and tie, even on Easter! But the men do dress up in Aloha shirts!

I *think* Jehovah's witness dress up often...but I could be mistaken...
  3. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

Episcopalian here

I wear slacks, skirts, dresses. Men wear slacks. Suits are not common, but not odd either. No one really wears jeans. I never see shorts (except preschool and younger boys). Rob wears a very elaborate floor length dress. :)
  4. sveasmommy

sveasmommy Rory and Tait too!

Non-denomination here and we're pretty casual. Usually jeans and a t-shirt or a casual skirt.
  5. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

We currently go to a Vineyard church and the attire is pretty much what Amber described.
  6. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

Dh's dad is a pretty conservative Assembly of God church and they dress up, but his church is mostly older people, so I am not sure how common it is across the board in the church.
  7. xt

xt Active Member

UU. Jeans. I do try to wear clean ones.
  8. hana

hana Active Member

UU. Jeans. Not always clean ones.

but usually. :)
  9. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Non-denom. I just started wearing jeans. Everyone wears jeans. The pastor wears jeans (or other casual wear). I still will often wear khakis or "work clothes" on Sundays.
  10. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    We go to a very contemporary Baptist church and at least half the congregation wears jeans. The older people dress up but only a small percentage of the young families where more than casual khaki's.

We have another Baptist church in town and that church is very different from our church. All women in jean dresses or long skirts with their hair down to their butts. All men wear suits.
  11. IrishAngel

IrishAngel Not broken, just bent Staff Member

Pentecostal~ Women wear dresses below the knee, or long skirts with shirts/tops that cover up
    The older men will wear suits, the younger men wear nice slacks/dress pants with a button down collared shirt (usually long sleeve unless its super hot in the summer, but I havent seen many that wear short sleeve shirts).
    It's very formal there.
  12. tarablesue

tarablesue ~PeAce~

very casual attire... freewill baptist church :) i wear jeans or capris most sundays, with sandals or flipflops. In the cooler months a sweater and boots, with jeans.
  13. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

UU. I wear skirts mostly but once in a while will wear pants. I'm trying to loosen up and dress down a bit since most everyone else wears jeans (in various states of cleanliness). I've worn jeans once! but I felt really weird and decided not to do it again.
    I can't break the southern baptist dress up for church thing.
  14. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

:lol:

I completely understand. You can take the girl outta the church. . . . and all. It does feel weird.
  15. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Most IFB churches will be skirts/dresses on women and suits on men.

We're an independent Baptist church and we get the range from suits to very casual. I wear "dress" clothes - nice slacks and a nice top or a dress. Hubby wears khakis and a polo when leading worship but otherwise wears a suit. In the new church we're starting, the dress will be more casual - DH will do the khakis and polo each week.

Our rule for the kids has always been no jeans, no shorts, no sneakers and only collared shirts for my son.
  16. xt

xt Active Member

Storm, my mom never could adapt to jean, either. She still dresses nicely for church by UU standards. Usually work clothes - nice pants/skirt, blouse. Not jeans and an Oscar the Grouch shirt by any means.
  17. hastings

hastings Amity's Focus Member

Totally. I've gone to UU services here in Utah County and people still dress about how they would at an LDS church since that's what most of us grew up with. Granted there is a bit more color going on, sleeveless sundresses you wouldn't see in a wardhouse, just ties and shirts with maybe a fun vest rather then the full suits, and I get lots of complements on my tie dye dresses, but you don't see jeans.

Of course part of that might be the sheer availability of it in the area. I certainly can't resist cute ties and sweater vests for my little boy and Lorelei will take any excuse to dress like a princess.
  18. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

I live in Arizona so casual is still the norm anywhere - shorts are acceptable, even in church when its 120 out.
    Our church is a mix - half in slacks/shirts or skirts/shirts and the other half in jeans and t's.
    I personally cant' do jeans still at church. I dress more for church then I do for work lol. Work I do nice jeans with a blouse and heels. Church I still do skirt with nice blouse and flats (since I sing and my feet kill me in heels standing/dancing)
  19. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

Not church... orthodox synagogue - pretty straightforward :) Men always wear suits and ties (unless chasidic and then wear long coats and maybe no tie and if married a fur hat) and black hats, of course a white shirt goes without saying. Women wear nice suits or skirts and blouses or dresses - always modest (below knee length, no low cut collar, sleeves below elbow). And women who are married always cover their hair either with a wig or a hat...
  20. gretchen

gretchen New Member

Pretty casual, although the older people (especially women) usually wear dresses/skirts. I wear casual skirts occasionally, but since I'm on the platform (worship leader) and I sit at the keyboard, I have to wear either a long (flowy) skirt or pants. I'm almost always in jeans (nice ones, clean) and a nice top. I almost always wear flip-flops in the summer/spring, since I often take off my shoes to play :lol: