spinoff kind of-feeling intimidated about cloth diapering a NB

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Dishka, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Dishka

Dishka All outta sparkle

After reading Ericas thread it got me thinking. I only started cloth on James at around 5 months. It was an adjustment but not horrible. Just a matter of finding what fit and what worked best. Now that I have an idea of what to expect as far as washing and such, Im afraid that cloth diapering a newborn is going to burn me out. What if the giant stash Im looking at of nb and small diapers all fail me? I already have invested a moderate amount of $$ into it, not tons, but money is money. Though some were just given to me from a very generous DUCK that frequents Amitys. (ETA I also want to give credit to another mama here who helped build my stash-thank you too Amanda) I dont want it to all go to waste. Someone share some success stories with me. Tell me honestly what the leak factor is on cloth vs paper in the nb stage. Because we did have blowouts with paper dipes. Tell me about the good vs the bad and someone please just reassure me that I WILL be able to do this!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  2. kkdmommy

kkdmommy married 2 house clone

My last 2 were in cloth right from the start and we ONLY had blowouts w/ 'sposies (I thought we surely needed them for trips & overnight, lol....uhh, no).

That pretty much sums it up. We've been cd-ing since '98 & I think we've had like 2 cloth leaks in 7 yrs.
  3. hello1107

hello1107 moving to the next phase

You can do it!

I actually started using cloth on DS sooner than I really wanted to. He was only about a week old when we switched. He would completely miss disposible diapers for some reason and using cloth actually meant doing less laundry for us.
  4. Liba

Liba davening mama

I have never had a blowout (except into the cover, but the clothing was fine) with cloth even on a newborn. I had blowouts with Esther Rivka when she was in the NICU in disposables almost every diaper and she was out of there at 4 days old! Once she got into cloth the clothing was spared. LOL You have to wash it either way and changing the whole outfit at every diaper change is the pits!

With Zlata Tova we had blowouts in paper as well. My MIL insisted on disposables during the time we were at her house after ZT was born. She was a tiny preemie (came home at 3lbs 11oz) and the preemie sposies were big on her so I thought they were the problem, when she was two weeks old we switched to cloth which was also big on her and it was fine.

Tziporah Faiga was never in a disposable diaper and she never ever leaked onto her clothing. :happy:
  5. patchwork~mama

patchwork~mama New Member

willow has been CD since birth... and ive never once had a leak. Its been close lately now that she is 4 months and pooping only once a day... but when she was a newborn there was never any problems becuase there was never a lot of poop... she just pooped often, kwim? Oh and I use a variety of stuff.... fitteds with wool covers & AIOs.... tho Im a prefold failure so we dont use those, lol.
  6. angelbaby

angelbaby beam me up!

I got waaay more blowouts using diaposables than cloth. The problem with disposables is that they leak out the back and soak the baby's back. With cloth, you can use dipes with elastic there to contain it. I think some people have problems with leaking in cloth because the diaper doesn't fit properly or they are using a laundry detergent that is causing the pee/poo not to be absorbed into the material. Throwing a few more dipes in the wash probably won't burn you out. And if you do get to feeling burnt out now and then, have a few back up disposable packs - you can try to unbleached gel-free kind, too. And your dipes will definitely not go to waste - you can resell them for pretty close to the price you paid for them - either on here or ebay.
  7. Maiden Comfort

Maiden Comfort boobie juice maker

I think the biggest thing about cding a newborn is getting used to the HUGE butt. Once your milk comes in, they become pee monsters, and you either need to change with every pee (my choice) or find something more absorbant. There's been times when my newborns butt was higher than her head laying down! lol. Prefolds are my all time favorite on a newborn because they're trimmer with a close-fitting wrap, and absorbant enough to hold the pee!
  8. glockchick

glockchick Active Member

IMO, cding a newborn is no harder than disposables. Less clothes changes too. Be sure you have PLENTY of covers if you're using prefolds. I had to wash the cover with almost every diaper and that got old fast. If I had it to do over again, I'd use fitteds or aio's for a teeny tiny baby. Don't let someone elses experience change your mind. You are not them and your experiences won't be the same. ;)
  9. jogirl

jogirl Mom to 3 Cute Kiddos

I'm cloth diapering a newborn right now! We did sposies for just under a week during the meconium stage. Clothes were loose and he peed through the disposables???? My little guy doesn't poop enough at once to blowout. We cloth diapered my 2yr old as a newborn too and she blewout of sposies, but never ever blew out of cloth. I love that poop stays put in cloth. I *hated* changing outfits because of poop...

Davy is 3 weeks old tomorrow and 8lbs 4oz. He's already fitting in his small fuzzi bunz and I love them on him. He has poop squirts throughout the day all the time and while it's a pitb to be changing that many cloth diapers -- they would still need changed if they were sposies since he pooped, yk? We also use cloth wipes. I do diaper laundry every morning, but I don't consider laundry to much of a pain.
  10. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

savannah was cd'd from about 4 days old. we used lots of different fitteds and proraps and i never had a problem. it was great! if i ever used a sposie she pooped out the top and onto clothing...so i hated using them.

i'd much rather wash diapers than clothing..and changing a diaper is easier than changing an outfit on a newborn!!

you can do it dishka!
  11. EmoMom

EmoMom Active Member

You can do it!!! My only regrets with CDing our DD is that we didn't start right from the beginning. Because she was one of those hyper-sensitive little types and she would just have angry red marks from the sposies on her legs. And blowouts straight out the back and all the way up her back. Ewwww.... Life was so much better when we switched to cloth. She was happier and more comfortable. We felt better about what we were doing. And get this... she NEVER had a diaper rash. Sometimes it's really just a matter of finding what works for you. Sounds like you might have a nice little assortment to get started with. I used plain ol' prefolds with Belle when she was tiny until I got some Kushies off eBay. Maybe other people think Kushies are top-of-the-heap, but they just didn't work for us. Same problem with blowouts up the back. She just didn't have the right build.

As soon as they fit, I strongly recommend Fuzzi Bunz. At least for nighttime. The inner liner (inside the pocket) really does wick up the moisture and the part next to the baby feels dry. You should have seen DH and I the first night we tried Fuzzi Bunz. We were feeling the inside of the diaper and oohing and aahing over how dry it felt and then pulled out the sopping wet center. Pretty amazing. Another option is to get the Fuzzi Bunz liners and just use them with what you have.

GOOD LUCK!!!! You can do it. You can, you can. And your baby will be happier because of it!
  12. dr.j

dr.j New Member

You can definitely do it! I CDed my DS from the day he got home from the hospital. My favorite covers were Bummis whisper pants (the nylon pull on pants). I used snappied prefolds most of the time, and had a few Kissaluvs 0s and one ME Sandy's as well. We didn't have problems with blowouts. He went through an explosive poo stage where poo got on the inside of the covers, but it didn't leak onto his clothes. If you don't have a minishower, I would highly recommend one. It makes it so much easier to get the poo off the covers. I had 7 or 8 covers, and thought that was a good number. I saved my fitteds for late night changes, or for going out, and thought that made things easier too.
    I loved CDing my DS, and am glad he was in cloth right from the beginning. You can do it, mama!
  13. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Well, my BIG mistake was not ordering my stuff far enough in advance (I was short some covers) AND.... not washing my UNbleached prefolds enough! I would be in tears because the pee would just slide right off of them. I started using them as breast pads to catch all the milk I was dripping everywhere and after a few weeks of some washes, poof, they suddenly worked! Oh, my other mistake was not getting newborn covers. Even though my baby was nearly 10 lbs, small covers were too big. This time around, I don't anticipate any problems, but I have to be honest, we are going to buy one pack of sposies because I don't want to wash diapers the first couple weeks at home. I changed my baby all of the time so using prefolds worked really well since they wash up so nicely. I don't mind changing a baby every hour or so. My biggest point I was trying to make in the other thread is that if it isn't working well, don't stress. Put the cloth aside, and come back to it in a week and try again.
  14. danica

danica iso a new title.

you can do it!

the only ones we didn't cd full time right from birth were the twins. i don't actually remember but i think we used cloth/sposies about equally with them. it's all a blur now...

but i remember the other ones well and we loved cd'ing them as newborns :).
  15. Erica

Erica Amity's Focus Member

Jessica! You have to try CDing!! Don't let my experience scare you! Your baby might not be a heavy wetter

and for the record, Ellery pooped right out of a pampers dipe today onto her clothes so now I'm wondering if I should just stick to cds! ARGH! At least her CDs kept in the explosive BM poos

I don't know which I'm going to end up using but I'll tell you these pampers stink when she pees...I keep thinking she's pooped but it's just the yucky chemicals :(
  16. Momme

Momme Active Member

I had no prior CD experience and my husband was very unsure about it. I brought cloth to the hospital, and used it from the very beginning. We had a pack of sposies just in case, but never used them. We didn't have any blowouts, and we did laundry every other day. It ended up being easy. You can do it.
  17. Caden's_mama

Caden's_mama Just another momma

i posted on erica's thread but ill post again =P.

Caden was cloth diapered from about 20mins old (he pee'd on me right after he was born..i thought it was sooooo sweet at the time lol).

Caden was a month premature and compared to other baby's born was a tiny lil squirt weighing in at 5lbs 3.6 oz.
    he had skinny lil thighs too!

It was actually my fathers suggestion to cloth diaper caden while i was still preg. I laughed outloud as i really never thought of that.
    so we bought gerber prefolds but then i decided to do a google search on cloth diapers and BOOM a whole new world opened up to me.

i was really shocked initially at the fitted and aio diaper prices. for us it was going to have to be CPF's and overs.
    We purchased 3 dozen cpfs, 4 proraps and 4 bumpy's.

the infant prefolds were a biy bulky since he was soooooo tiny but he grew into them quickly.

for me the key was checking him often and changing him after every elimination. At night id check him b4 and after he nursed and i changed him. nights were the hardest for me but it didnt last forever and we got through it.

by the time he was 4 mos old he was dry at night something im so greatful for then and now!

i dont really recall caden having many major blow outs or leaks.

the key imo is lots of prefolds/covers and changing often!!
  18. Dishka

Dishka All outta sparkle

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I keep seeing mention of prefolds popping up and Im beginning to be a little more relieved that half of what I have here are prefolds. I didnt do well with prefolds on James when I started out, but it was almost all I used other than fuzzibunz at night with him from about 12 months on until he started going potty at 2 yrs. I do have nb and small fitteds and a few aio for a change of pace and I suppose for dh sake too a little LOL But other than feeling a renewed sense of capability, I think Ive learned from this thread that I need more covers LOL

Thank you again everyone for all of your advice and encouragement. I will be looking for you all again when I post that the baby is here and I dont know what the heck Im doing with these prefolds LOL
  19. Caden's_mama

Caden's_mama Just another momma

I think prefolds are WAY WAY easier on newborns and infants (ie before they can walk or try they dont want to be changed).

I did purchase premiums but they just didnt fit Caden right unless I wanted to fold them up funky and have them be real real bulky on him.

Then it became much more of a hassle to change C so we have starting using more AIO's and some pockets.

But for newborns a prefold is way easier to use. Also maybe some snappi's? You dont HAVE to use them but some people like them. U do need to use them if your using a cover w/snaps and a prefold.

I also saw a special fold on a site. I think it was the lady who sells turtleknits soakers or something like that. It makes it so the prefold has gussets in a way.

anyway good luck hun!
  20. Selissa

Selissa Who said I was Girly????

i am glad you feel better.

I jsut wanted to chime in with our story. although i did change cloth diapers as a child i had not changed a cloth diaper in about 15 years when ds was born. someone gave me a pack of sposies so i used them with the intention of saving my cloth from mec stains.He peed around and through every single one of those disposable diapers regardless of how care ful i was about tucking his penis down. after a day or so that got so annoying went ahead and switched to cloth and never looked back.

at first i even had just gerber prefolds and kushies wraps. but i changed often and it was really not a problem. Lu lu hted being wet anyway so iwould have changed him even in a more absorbant diaper for his happiness and comfort.

also if you don't have one get an aristocrat or two for night time. those things are so leak proof and soft. when i still was stuck with my velcro wraps i started using my A's exclusivly as covers cause they were so soft and reliable.

this time i have 2 doz premie prefolds, 4 doz infant prefolds, 6 newborn fitteds, 4 small aio's, 2 pul covers, 2 fleece covers, and 8 wool covers. (you need more if you are using mostly wool in case of blow outs)

now that is alot but i personally only feel comfortable changing as soon as the baby pees even if i am not ecing full time yet.

you can do it mama..it's really not that hard all in all you just have to be flexible and keep in mind that sposies can be at least as messy..if not messier depending on the baby.