Spelling and math for a 3rd grader?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by chrissymama, Jun 6, 2010.

1. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

Preferably not dvd or computer based.

Thanks!
  2. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I hate to leave this blank, but the math that we love is computer based. We love Teaching Textbooks and they just came out with 3rd grade (and we got it last week!)
    My girls have just done some assorted workbooks from Barnes and Noble or Half Price Books previously, but not a "real" curriculum. I am so happy that they are using TT now. I have one in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade for math.
  3. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

i can't help you as we love MUS and then ALEKS.

for spelling though we use spelling workout as well as easy grammar and wordly wise.
  4. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

We love MUS dvd's for math and ALEKS. I am on the fence about switching form ALEKS to TT.

For spelling we use Spelling Power and spelling city for games. We are switching to CQLA and it incorporates spelling but I am not sure I love it or not so we might stay with Spelling Power.
  5. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

i plan on using MUS until the little ones are able to start Aleks. TT is too blah and boring for DS.
  6. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    I have heard great things about Sequential Spelling (the older, not video version), and we use Math U See as well, but there are TONS of resources out there for math for the younger grades. If you are interested in the more waldorf pedagogy, you may enjoy the math gnomes... the stories are awesome and super fun. Little Garden Flower has the resources to get you started. :)
  7. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    i just saw this & had to go order for dd! lol ~ thanks!

ds is 6th grade, so bummed to see the TT6 is *not* mac compatible, bummer!

hmm.. now what for him.
  8. beanandpumpkin

beanandpumpkin Homeschooling WAHM

We use the old Sequential Spelling, and it's okay... I also have Success in Spelling and plan to start it next year with my 4th grader. It could be used in 3rd grade as well, though.

For math, we have been using Miquon all along, and love it. It stops at 4th grade, but prepares kids for Singapore 4, so that's what we'll be switching to when the time comes (we're about a semester behind in math, so it will be midway through the year).
  9. Andrea S

Andrea S New Member

For Math I've used a variety of books like Beestar, Singapore Math and Kumon. I typically end up using Beestar since it is easy to navigate, everything is free and online which is very convenient. I also have a few new students that have been using the gifted/talented section which they have grown quiet interested in. Overall it really depends on the learning style and there are a ton of great and free products now online.