Soapnut Shells

Discussion in 'Super Crunch' started by lakshmi_mama, May 18, 2006.

1. lakshmi_mama

lakshmi_mama cleaning house

Have you tried these??? I LOVE them. http://www.inasoapnutshell.com/index.html

As far as I know they are only available in the US through http://www.zamuta.com/. They are more expensive from the US site and the woman I bought them from here (who is local to me and I talked at length with her at a fair this past weekend) gets much much better numbers of washes per weight. (she says 1/2 kilo = 300+ washes, the US site says 1 kilo= 60+ washes! Even though top loaders in the US use more water than front loaders used here, that is a big difference.) So.... It seems to me that the US site is gouging a bit, IMO. Even with the exchange rate the price is better to order from my source here for US folks. Not sure if she does international orders, but it may be worth asking if you are interested.

Anyway - I love these! I have washed some dirty smelly clothes and they have come out lovely and soft. And CLEAN! I washed a white cotton blanket today that had dried coffee spill on it from yesterday and it came totally clean! :bow: And it is so so so much cheaper than buying the eco liquid soaps on the market. And they are compostable! :flowerkit
  2. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    Those are really cool! I wonder if she would send samples to the US? Do ya think? I would love to try it!

Val
  3. Kristerae

Kristerae Amity's Focus Member

WOW...never heard of anything like that before.
  4. lakshmi_mama

I am telling you, these are the best things ever! Even dh is impressed. He was folding laundry today and commented on how soft everything was (and we line dry!) and how Anja's poopy accident pants were totally clean, no trace or stain at all. Val - If she doesn't do international samples, LMK and I can hook you up. lol.
  5. mamatanya

mamatanya the bead lady

I have several business neighbors from Nepal. I'll have to ask them to bring some back on their next trip! I wonder how cheap that would be?
  6. mamatanya

mamatanya the bead lady

I'm looking into a price on these. Shipping is annoyingly high right now but these are so light weight. Who would be interested if I could get these at a good price?
    Last edited: May 20, 2006
  7. MonsterBabyMama

MonsterBabyMama New Member

I've been wanting to try these for a long time now and could never find a source - thanks so much for the links!
  8. EMama

EMama Member

I am really intersted in these. Let me know of you find a source with cheaper shipping in the US

Thanks,

Aphrodite
  9. Shannon

Shannon Amity's Focus Member

Were you able to get these? If so, I'm interested.
  10. momadance

momadance New Member

These sound really cool.

I'm interested mamatanya!
  11. Funky Pioneer

Funky Pioneer New Member

These sound so neat! I just realized I have these listed in my herbal catalog! Ohh I am going to ordersome first thing monday!:cloud9:
  12. lakshmi_mama

If there is enough interest, I can speak to the woman I buy them from here (in England) and see if there is a cost effective way to source them to a group purchase in the states. They are very light weight, so shipping should not be too bad. I can also ask her about the difference between front loader washer and top loaders. It is all front loaders here which use very little water, so the amount of soapnuts used in top loaders will be more to compensate.

But I am telling you - these things RULE! My dh works all day on a farm and his clothes are DIRTY but they come clean in the wash. I still need to use a non-chlorine bleach if I want my whites to be supa-white (I use ecover oxygen bleach which I think is pretty much like oxyclean) and a spot treater for some stains (like felt pen, grease, coffee, etc.) again, I use ecover brand spot treater and it works wonderfully.

LMK if you need me to look into this. I will need someone there to be the point of contact for shipping, so they need to be able/willing to ship within the states to those who are interested.
  13. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

Those sound amazing! Stephanie seems to be sensitive to most detergents, and since she wears cloth diapers they would be great for her laundry.
  14. mamatanya

mamatanya the bead lady

I haven't been near my business in weeks. Until this baby is born I just can't stand to be there. So I have not made any progress on getting these. Sorry to flake. At this point, it's a someday thing cause I just don't know how distracted I'll be. At the time the wife was gung ho, yeah sure, it'd be cheap. Then the husband came in and saw $ signs. So not sure how good of a deal I can get. But I would love to try. These sound great.
  15. huskrkid

huskrkid Got Yarn?

Is anyone besides Katie using these? Are you still, Katie? I ran across these a couple of months ago, and not from this board (I've been a little scarce needless to say). I'm having a mixed reaction. I don't know if I need to do more spot treating or if it's my water or what. I do have a front loader. Some loads come out fantastic, some not quite as much. I suppose I need to do more experimenting.

Anyone have a suggestion?
  16. diegosmama

diegosmama New Member

I want to hear how they work in a front loader, too. Sounds enticing!!!
  17. diegosmama

diegosmama New Member

That's too bad!:( I really wanted to try them, too...