So, what does your yarn stash look like?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by Suzie, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Suzie

Suzie Amity's Focus Member

I just realized I'm getting quite a yarn stash. I went into Michael's on Saturday to get 2 skeins of yarn and came out with six. I really need to get busy.

So, how many skeins of yarn do you have lying about?
  2. crankymama

crankymama Knit Geek & Baby Wrangler

Um...I don't think I could count, lol. I have a huge Rubbermaid storage container full of my non-wool yarn (mostly Mission Falls and Cotton Fleece cotton, with some never used novelty stuff thrown in) and 2 huge "under the bed" containers full to the brim with wool-Paton's, Peace Fleece, Malabrigo, Brown Sheep, some Peruvian... And I have 43 more skeins on the way :)

My dh is starting to protest. I say we just need a bigger house.
  3. Suzie

Holy smokes!!! That's a lot. That must be awesome to have all those skeins to choose from.

What are you planning on doing with the 43 skeins you have coming?
  4. crankymama

WORLD DOMINATION!!!!

*ahem*

I mean, just random stuff. I will probably use a lot of it for biz stuff, I am going to try to put a lot of sets up on HC with batik/tie dyed/patched (one fo those, per shirt, not all 3 on one shirt, lol) shirts this summer and then do longies/hat sets in the Fall. I also have about 10 billion pregnant friends right now, so I have a lot of blessingway knitting to do :) And I am already thinking about Xmas knitting. My brother just moved to VT so he is going to need some warm woolen accessories. And slippers. I want to make my family some nice warm moc slippers. Oh, all the things I will knit!!!

What's funny is that, with my fairly big stash, I still have to hit the yarn store for yarn for an order in the morning. It figures that they picked pretty much the only color I am out of, lol.
  5. Megmama

Megmama Happy Happy Joy Joy

I have a pretty large stash myself thanks to Branwyn liquidating a lot of yarns to me..much of it is acrylic and will only be used for things like ponchos or small gifts..but I have 2 big bags of wool, several little balls of cotton and a couple of big cones of cotton..and some novelty furs that I use for making gifts for my daughter in particular :D I am seriously wanting some peace fleece..I also have a lot of cream/white yarn I want to get around to dying soon :D
  6. Selissa

Selissa Who said I was Girly????

i have a bag of thrift store and donated yarns that i have for donation soakers, an under the bed tubberware container full of various farm yarns, another one full of my left overs, brown sheep, some bfl, malabrigio, marr haven, and other "fancy" yarns

i also have some full belly farms and more marabrigio merino on it's way...

everyone needs tons of malabrigio merino...it has to be the softest thing ever
  7. crankymama

I am going to pee my pants when that yarn comes in. You know how sometimes on tv bank robbers pour all of their money on the bed and roll around in it? Yeah, that's going to be me with that yarn. I won't get naked, though, I promise. My products will still be sanitary, lol.

When I was at Webb's in Northhampton, MA last week (www.yarn.com -biggestyarn store ever) I came upon their Cascade Eco wool in every color known to man. I almost doubled my stash right there, but I was good and only got 1 color and 1 natural to dye. I'd never seen that environmentally friendly wool dyed so many colors like that!

I don't think I can really justify buying any more yarn until I knit up some of what I have. I just buy it with in stock in mind, but I rarely have time for in stock, so it just sits. I look at my stash and see all sorts of super cute pants just waiting to be made :) Now all I need are 6-7 more hours in the day...
  8. Suzie

OMG, I just spewed coffee all over my computer screen. :hahaha: That is so freakin' funny.

Yesterday I was telling dh about how I was looking at yarn on ebay. I came across some yarn that was so beautiful it gave me chills. It's giving me chills right now thinking about it. Crazy.
  9. Megmama

:lol: on the yarngasms!!

I feel that way too..Tom was amazed at me carrying around purple patons merino in Boston and petting it..I make him pet my yarn a lot hahahaha
  10. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    lmao...:smooch:

oh and amy? is that eco environmentally friendly stuff ORGANIC WOOL? :p snicker.

my stash? sigh. entirely too many skeins of lion brand stuff (a fair bit from branwyn, like meg's), too many skeins of wool-ease (that i now want to return so i can buy patons...man, what was i thinking? wool-ease may be soft but so is patons...and they are directly next to one another on the display at JA...hrm). um, what else? oh yes. about 7 skeins of peace fleece (5 in a very yummy moldoven burgundy and then one siberian midnight and one schlepova mushroom...yummy...must get more with the current co-op!)

i also have some chenille stuff from b that i really think i'll be taking to the goodwill. oh and 2 balls of microfibre stuff from storm. no idea what i'll do with that, maybe i'll knit a chemo cap or two and donate them. that stuff is uber soft.

anyone want any wool-ease? sigh.
  11. Megmama

You could knit a nice chemo cap for my mom..the one I made her is too big..duh...

I never thought goodwill..I got lots I'll never use I can give them..weird things from brans stash and so on.
  12. tracey

the micro-fibre is turquoise...
  13. mamarina

mamarina Knitting like crazy!!

Hmmmm, well, it's over flowing again.

I have one bin full of leftover skeins. 1 bin full of "other" stuff, wool blends, cotton, hemp, etc. A basket full of handpainteds, a trunk w/ all my natural's for dyeing.

I have 8 skeins from beaverslide coming, and 2 kilos on order (or 60ish ounces). I need to place another order for undyed skeins soon, cause I don't think my kilos will be here in time.

It takes over my living room. Amy, DH quit protesting. He just rolls his eyes.
  14. AnnR33

AnnR33 New Member

Oh my, I could never put it in all one place-DH would see just how much I have and FREAK!
    It "might" all fit in about 4 large rubbermaid containers LOL
    I have such a huge variety of thrift store finds, high end stuff I find on clearance and basic Lion Brand type stuff.
    I'm trying to do some stash busting though and do some charity hats and shawls!
    Gotta make room for new stuff ;)
    Ann
  15. MotherMoon

MotherMoon Super Crunch in AL

somewhere between complete exhaustion and utter eu
    Tracey, what colors wool-ease at what price? I am thinking until I learn to run a d*mn washer, I need that. I shrunk my favorite sweater -- nearly felted it really.

I don't have much. I try to buy with something in mind. Since I stopped visiting MDC, my stash is shrinking. I was trading too much for yarn over there. I have a lot of left-overs and am considering what to do with them.
  16. tracey

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  17. crankymama

PF co-op??? Nope, don't even tell me about it. And the yarn lady said that the Eco was NOT certified organic. Whatev.
  18. tracey

19. kkdmommy

kkdmommy married 2 house clone

Wow, I'm embarassed to admit I have 2 small baskets & a grocery bag of yarn and that's it. I only buy a couple skeins at a time too and usually knit them right up.

But then again I have a couple tons of fabric hidden all over the house...there's not a lot of room for a yarn stash :D
  20. chococat

chococat Frappuccino Girl

Well, comparitively speaking, I mean, compared to my FABRIC stash, my yarn stash is puny. But then again, I have only been knitting since Dec. :D

I have about 40 balls of a Knit Picks alpaca/silk/wool that is currently being knitted into a checkboard blanket slowly.

I have 1/2 a small shelf full of misc yarn, a drawer full of 30 balls of various kinds of Debbie Bliss that I got for a good deal (Aran and Cotton/Angora I think), that drawer also has 11 balls of plain cotton from KnitPicks that I keep starting projects with and tearing them out and not finishing them.

And last I have 24 more balls of Debbie Bliss Cotton/Angora on the way that I got for a good deal and free shipping.

So, all in all, I have my yarn stash under control. Now the fabric...that keeps taunting me as I knit away and sometimes it beckons me to sell it to a happier home. Hmmm....we'll see.