So we *think* that we will be sending Evan to Middle School in MD

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by TulaneMama, Jan 6, 2010.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

I am ready, he is ready and I think that it is time. I will still be homeschooling the girls and plan to do so for as long as it is the right thing for all of us (hopefully at least until Middle School). ANyways, the MD school system operates until June 14th. We move the beginning of April. WQould you enroll your child for those last 10 weeks. Hoping that they have a short integration period, meet some new friends and thus transfer to the middle school in the fall with some ppl that they know? OR would you just wait and start your child in the fall of 2010?
  2. I would wait. I think the last 10 days of the school year are busy with exams ect. I don't know how it would work to put him in for all of that. I think sending him in the beginning of the year would be easier for him, because it's a new year for all the students. So new classes, new teachers, new schedule ect. The clicks and schedules formed throughout an entire school year will be mixed up, so he won't be the 'new kid', it will be new for all the kids. Does that make sense?
  3. TulaneMama

it would be 10 weeks Lindsey.

And yes, I totally get the whole new school, new kids, new teachers and so on...but again, on a military post, everyone is new and the dynamics are a bit different than schools on the economy.
  4. oh wait a second... sorry I read 10 days.. not 10 weeks. ok ignore me lol. sorry ash
  5. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

We moved in April of Austin's K year, and put him right in school (military base). I wish I hadn't... and had just waited to put him into 1st grade at the next school year if we decided to do that.

The thing is... if you put them in near the end of the school year, they are still expected to do the things that everyone else is doing. So he may be strong in reading - but not be right where everyone else is in math... and it gets hard for them. That is the biggest reason. Because you never know what they have covered, what still needs to be covered - and you don't want him to have a hard experience. With starting at the beginning of the school year, he will be starting fresh with the year, like everyone else. There will be enough review to make sure he has what the other kids have been learning - because each school district has different paces of what is covered when.

There is my 2 cents.
  6. TulaneMama

great points heather and it all makes a lot od sense!
  7. dalaimama

dalaimama mama lama

We moved here to FL at the beginning of April last year, and the school year went until then end of May. Even though M was in public school in OH, I chose to homeschool him for those eight weeks and wait to enroll him in public school until the fall. He is a very slow to adjust kid, and with the move, I thought that trying to start all over again in a new school in that short time would be very very hard on him.

I'm glad we chose to wait.... the school he is in now is not great, and if they didn't require one year of enrollment here in a brick & mortar school to be eligible for the virtual academy, I would've pulled him back out months ago. :p So that may be coloring my opinion, sorry.
  8. amyincali

amyincali New Member

I've been toying with the idea of sending my oldest next year (7th grade)and a friend of mine that teaches high school recommended putting her in for the last month this year. She said it would give her a short period to try out school since she hasn't gone before and it would help the school place her in the proper classes for fall.

I still haven't decided if she's going at all but I do think a month trial might be what we'll do. Our co-op goes through April so I'd probably wait until that was over to enroll her.
  9. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Not the same age, but we moved at the end of April (last day of school was April 30th) and chose not to put Erik in school when we got to Indiana. We decided to take 2 weeks to "move", and then we just relaxed and had extra summer break. I think it worked really well for our family.
  10. TulaneMama

Heather I too think that once we move that is going to be it. we will have to unpack and get settled, the kiddos need to be enrolled in youth services, Evan needs to get an ID card - so so much to do!
  11. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I would wait, if at all possible.
  12. gypsimama

gypsimama in a state of flow

I would wait too. Maybe he could have a shadow day where he could go tour the school for the day just to maybe meet 1 or 2 kids his age.

Hope the move goes well.
  13. TulaneMama

i think we will wait.