So now that everyone has Mango Mama's e-book...;)

Discussion in 'Gentle guidance' started by Kbsmama, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

Can we talk about NCP/TCS? I think I really needed to read this since DS and I have been on a horrible ride for quite awhile now, and things aren't getting better (something's gotta give, here in some shape or form). Does anyone do this/try to do this? It seems so simple (I mean on a basic level, probably not so much in logistics), and it rings so true to me. I have a sister-in-law (childless, unmarried, 18)who tries to discipline my kids all the time (sometimes even when I'm telling her I am handling it--grrrr), but sometimes I have thought, it's OK for me to talk to my kids that way, but not her, but really, is it? It's definitely not OK for her to talk to them that way, but it's not OK for me either, you know?

Also, I never knew of Mango Mama before her "disappearance." After reading most of her book, I really would like to know if she is still out in cyberspace, if she is OK, etc. I especially want to know that she hasn't chucked the simple life for a 9-7 job and daycare, public school, and after school care for her kids (no offense to anyone intended with that remark). Can somebody fill me in, in private if need be?

Thanks,
  2. IndiMom

IndiMom .

I haven't read the ebook but I'm not a fan of TCS. In theory I think it sounds great, and I have lurked on a few TCS lists before and found great answers to situations that I wouldn't have thought of. But I think the theory is flawed because there just isn't always a common preference IMO and too much energy can be sucked out trying to find one.
  3. Sontanned

Sontanned Party of Six

I haven't read the book yet.

I also just can not bring myself to believe all the awful speculation about Jennifer.
  4. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Check out www.naomialdort.com. I couldn't handle "TCS/NCP" per se, but Naomi's ideas are very similar, based on love and respect. But she is just less...um...extreme? I know her kids don't watch any TV or eat junk food, for example.
  5. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

ok, out with it.....what do the letters stand for? :confused: ;)
  6. Raffi

Raffi Just another Mama

Ummm...actually she has.She left her kids and husband to "explore herself" with another man,then returned and put her kids in public school and has pretty much discontinued all AP and natural everything.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..lol.

As for the taking children seriously (TCS)..umm..hmm...well...its not even allowed to be discussed at mothering anymore..lol.
  7. ThirtySomething

ThirtySomething About to burst

I completely agree. Also, it is one of those things that can go all wishy washy as PDD can if not handled correctly.
  8. Mamax4

Mamax4 Amity's Focus Member

See, that bugs me.

No discussion of TSC.

In theory, it's supposed to work for everyone involved.

It's not about who is winning, but with all members of a family getting what they need.

But Mango Mama didn't seem to be getting squat. If she had felt fulfilled and her dh was on board --and she knew what she needed, she would not have had to cut ties totally with her values and her kids. Think about it---her poor kids who had one life and now have a **totally different** life.

WTF happened there? TCS is not about neclecting anyone's needs. Why did she neclect hers to the point she had to leave the kids? And/ or why did she embrace a philosophy that wasn''t working?? For how long did she realize she was unhappy with what she was professing?

laurie
  9. Mamax4

TSC= Taking Children Seriously

I doubt it. She went nuts, imo. She lost it. Now her kids have no semblance of the life she preached was optimal.

It's so incredibly sad.

So sad.

Poor her. Poor kids, Poor dh.

It's not about adhering to a philosphy like a lemming. It's about knowing your own needs and caring about whether your kids need a sane mother.

laurie
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  10. ~Jo~

~Jo~ New Member

Well I still haven't received my e-book so many someone who reads this thread could be generous enough to email it to me? ;)

Thanks got it!

For others who want to download it you can go here: Natural Parenting (PDF)
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  11. Sontanned

Sontanned Party of Six

How do you know thats what happened though? Do you know her personally? Have you spoke w/ her or stopped by her home?

I'm not picking on you, I'm just curious of how you really know. :)
  12. Mamax4

Are you asking me?

If you are, then my answer is no, I never stopped by her place.

I feel for her, I really do. She somehow lost touch with herself and left her children without a mother.

Perhaps if there had been a middle ground for her?

The basic tenets of TCS (not sure you are familiar with the theroy) is that *everyone* gets what they need and not at the expense of other members of the family.

Somehow she did not get what she needed.

I don't know the specifics, so you win that round.

However, if she had felt her needs were being met, perhaps she would not have left the kids. They went from one life , to a life of public school and no mother.

What the heck happened?

Laurie
  13. Shanka

Shanka New Member

This hospital, that hospital, oh.. and the one ove
    I got the email with the book attached but I cannot open it. Perhaps somebody could email me at admin@natural-instinct.com with a copy. ( I think ity will work at this address) Thanks Mamas
  14. froggygarden

froggygarden journeying

15. bfapmamma

bfapmamma Member

Can I ask for a copy too please, I'd love to read it and missed yesterdays post. :) bfapmamma@yahoo.com
  16. Ancient Spinach

Ancient Spinach New Member

I emailed the 4 people who asked above.

Haven't read the book yet - but that is some interesting and valid backgound info...

Really - no discussion of TCS on MDC?? That's nuts...
  17. bfapmamma

bfapmamma Member

Got mycopy, thanks so much :thumbsup:
  18. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

19. sahmfiberaddict

sahmfiberaddict swimming in yarn

Me too please

I would love a copy of her book, not sure what happened with her but obviously she was needing something and she felt that it wasn't with her children and husband.

(as if I know .... She is her own person, problems, etc... and we can only speculate and if she one day wants to explore even print something to why and what happened that is up to her and not us to speculate and judge her for what seems to me like a hurting soul)

I do want a copy, just giving Jennifer some slack here.

Sara:heart:
  20. kas

kas Kinder & Gentler

dunno jennifer personally, but wanna say that when i was looking for alternative information on RHOGAM for rh- mamas 10yrs ago, she was the ONLY source of information i trusted.

obviously, she had an emotional breakdown of some sort & dealt with it the way she felt best at the time. dunno specifics, just the random rumor i've heard over the yrs & from reading her old online diary.

where ever she is, i hope she's found happiness~serenity~and knows that there are people's lives on this planet she helped changed forever :heart: