so i'm gonna have to ditch my crockpot, unless you mamas can reassure me...

Discussion in 'Super Crunch' started by michmom, Sep 15, 2006.

1. michmom

michmom New Member

i just called rival and gave the customer service woman the model numbers off the two crockpots i own from them-- one purchased at target, one at the thrift store today-- and *both* are "non-stick." YUUUUUUCK. i already ditched all my teflon stuff, why do i need my slow cooker to be non-stick?

i asked if they were non-stick just by virtue of the fact that they're stoneware crocks-- i thought maybe the crocks had nonstick "properties" like seasoned cast iron does. but she said no, they have been treated w/ a chemical to make them non-stick.

YUUUUUCK. am i over-reacting? can i just spray the sides w/ olive oil and hope that that provides a "barrier" to my food? or is this no big deal, not like teflon cookware which can flake off into your food?

thanks for your insight!
    alycia
  2. michmom

michmom New Member

ugh, i just called rival again, and spoke w/ someone else, and he said that even though the box of the one i bought at target didn't say "non-stick," that *all* of their crockpots since the late '90s have been made w/ some non-stick chemical baked right in to the stoneware crock.

i guess i have to put a large old-time crockpot from the 70s or 80s on my to-look-for list for the thrift store! i'm such a reactionist. :)
  3. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Ewww! That's gross! I wonder about my Hamilton Beach one. Dh dropped and cracked the glass cover :rolleyes: and I can't get a new one and I have been looking for a reason to get rid of it - it is too big.

On the positive side I have seen tons of old crockpots at the thrift store. Some are just skeevy though. (LOL, remember that word?) I hope you find a clean one.
  4. onlyboys

onlyboys New Member

Did you ask what the chemical was? Maybe that would shed some light on whether or not it's safe.

It might be just the ceramic glaze, which, as long as it doesn't contain lead is safe! :)
  5. michmom

michmom New Member

two things:
    1. lauren, when i called hamilton beach (my old, skeevy-- yes, i remember that word and use it all the time!!!-- crockpot i just got from the thrift store last week is hamilton beach), they said NONE of their stuff was non-stick. yeah!
    2. amanda, rival *did* say it didn't contain lead. i'm not sure that 's the same thing, though, or enough of a reassurance to me, though, y'know? i guess i will call them back and try to get someone more technical on the line...

:)
    alycia
  6. scorch_dc

scorch_dc New Member

I'm not sure about the non-stick coatings on newer crocks (eek), but if you do buy older crock pots be careful and do your research. They did used to contain lead in the ceramic...

" Lead, however, is used in some glazes for slow-cooking pots
    (crock-pots). But, in tests done in 1987, FDA found that the amount of lead
    that leached into food from these pots did not exceed FDA standards. (See An Unwanted Souvenir: Lead in Ceramic Ware, in the December 1989-January 1990 issue of FDA Consumer.) "
  7. mommymelly

mommymelly Amity's Focus Member

This is kinda scary. I just bought a Rival Crockpot a few days ago.
  8. onlyboys

onlyboys New Member

Yeah, I wonder if the ceramic glaze is automatically non-stick. I know that the one ceramic thing we have to cook with is natually nonstick because of the glaze, not the chemical. Does that make sense? I didn't realize it was non stick until we used it. (I made the dish in ceramics class!)

Let us know what you find out! :)
  9. michmom

michmom New Member

oh, my GOSH, out of the frying pan and into the fire.. so now i have to worry about my old one containing lead, and my new one containing some kind of non-stick chemical! that is terrible. :(

to answer your question, i *did* persist w/ the customer service person, the second time i called rival, to ask whether or not the crock pot stoneware was non-stick just by virtue of it being ceramic, or b/c of a non-stick chemical, and he said it was a non-stick chemical. :(

i guess the ideal would be to find a crockpot made in the early to mid 90s, after the lead thing came out, but before the non-stick!!!

alycia
  10. michmom

michmom New Member

well, HURRAH for hamilton beach! i called back again today and asked about the lead, and after a looong time on hold, the woman came back and said that none of their crockpots have ever had lead in the glaze, and she reassured me again that none of their crockpots are non-stick. :)
  11. elsie

elsie New Member

OMG, now I need a new crock pot!!!! I had no idea about this- that STINKS!!

Hamilton Beach savings kitty, here we go!
  12. ~Hippychick~

~Hippychick~ New Member

Wow, I never knew this :(
    Im SO careful what I buy, I didnt realise they used chemicals like that instead of non-stick. I dont care if the lead meets FDA standards either, I dont want ANY lead in my food! What are they thinking!!!
    I was just telling dh I was thinking of getting one, so thanks for the heads up! Ill look for a Hamilton beach in the thrift store :smirk:
  13. Shannon

Shannon Amity's Focus Member

Wow, I didn't even think about the crock pot being a potential danger. I just started using mine a few weeks ago and don't want to give it up now.

I got it at Target a few years ago, it's a Rival.
  14. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

Oh, no! I just bought the same one Melly bought...It's *her* fault!!!!:lol: Great...now I'm going to worry about that. I *just* took my Circulon set of cookware to the thrift shop.
  15. Scarlet

Scarlet Amity's Focus Member

wow, I find it hard to believe my (bought about 6 years ago) crockpot is non stick.. *everything* sticks like glue to it! I would use it more often if it wasn't such a pain to get clean. If they are using it, it ain't working!
  16. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~ Amity's Focus Member

Bethan - I just have to say - your son is beautiful! He looks so like you!