So I asked dh if he'd like to have a no spend month.

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by Katie, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

But I added that we should make it a challenge. We have (kind of) separate budgets for household spending. I thought it'd be fun. We'd have a no-spend challenge for the month, see how much each of us can bring back to the kitchen table at the end of the month.

He said no. Actually, it was a HELL NO!

Adding that I'm too good at that "crap" and that I'd mop him up. :touched: How sweet. hahaha. Guess I'm on my own.

So no challenges, just a post here if you're up for a no-spend or pantry only cooking or something to kick off the year....

I'll add mine in the next post.
  2. Katie

I'm going to try a double; pantry and no-spend.

There's a pretty good chance that the farm will need a new furnace before spring so...eeep...I gotta build up the stash.

I am adding some allowances because I'm going to try for the full month.
    No spending exceptions;
    Bill paying
    fuel for car (budget tbd)
    Dane may need a pair of snow pants. I haven't really sized up just how ripped out the inseam is yet. Nylon and I don't have a loving relationship.
    A jug of laundry soap, unless there's some fels naptha in the cupboard, haven't checked yet.

Pantry challenge exceptions;
    weekly milk delivery
    fresh fruits and veggies (budget tbd)
    a gallon of vinegar.

Biggest deal breaker; to-go cups of coffee at kwik trip. ugh.

1/7 update
    So far, so good. I've not purchased a single to-go cup of coffee. This is pretty significant for me and I'm kind of pleased.
    I've decided my produce budget will be 10.00/week and gas will be 25.00/week.

spending log;
    20.06 gas
    5.59 produce (apples and bananas)
    13.60 feminine products.
    4.12 the very smallest bottle of lanolin wash ever. wow. what a rip. BUT my wool socks keep the thermostat down so I'm sure I'll get the 4 bucks back this month.
    4.85 wood shavings bedding for chicken coop
    20.00 for 2 tickets to see Temple Grandin in February. Woot!
    2.00 gatorade for basketball games this weekend and next.
    20.00 gas
    1.49 bananas
    26.00 dinner

Things I wanted to buy or almost bought, but didn't;
    20.00 Storey's guide to miniature livestock
    56.00 carhart coveralls for dd
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. houdini

houdini New Member

I think I have no choice but to go with the no spend month, and the pantry only month.
  4. houdini

houdini New Member

Unless I want to put it on the credit card, which I am not willing to do.
  5. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

I am doing a pantry challenge for this month and possibly beyond! I will continue to get my weekly gallon of raw milk and 2 dozen eggs from the drop spot, as well as greens from the store (since we had an early freeze that killed my garden...grrr). There may be a few things I need beyond that, but that is the bulk of it. I want to make sure I actually USE all of the stuff I was storing/preserving during the summer and fall!!

I am also starting a massive decluttering project in the house, which includes a "use it up!" mantra with shampoo, etc...have a pile of little samples, etc and want to use up and clear out that stuff before spending any money on more.

We don't have any certain replacements coming up, BUT my stove needs a repair and both our refrigerator and dish washer are not in the greatest condition. Our hot water heater is OLD. Even our washer and dryer, though relatively new, are not the best quality, so I feel we have to be on our toes for planning for replacement for basically all of our appliances. :(
  6. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Hrm. I have to see how well I can cut things, either left-handed or with my bad hand. I am way better at making do meals than dh and he's been doing the bulk of the cooking.

I can however be in for a be aware of what you're spending kind of thing, use from our deep-freeze and pantry, and declutter. Maybe I should go be in my own thread? What do you think?
  7. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

I'd love to do a no-spend month but I just bought stuff. Damn! LOL I guess I can do an almost-no-spend month. I'd also like to use up a lot of what we have the pantry. I'll need to buy perishables but we have a lot of dry and canned goods.
  8. Briefaerie

Briefaerie New Member

I'm trying for a no spend month. I did spend some yesterday but maybe that's what I needed to really start good(and grand total for the mall and Target was $31 so not crazy spending).
    And we're going for eating from our pantry. There is absolutely no reason we can't eat from our stock besides buying veggies. Next week I'm going to enlist my husband to come up with some meals around here just to see if he comes up with something new and different:eek:)
  9. xt

xt Active Member

We're doing a pantry/freezer challenge, but we are doing a OAMC with our friends at the end of the month, and that's in the budget. Hopefully in the low $200's for that, but we are considering doing a double share. I love cooking, but lately, it hasn't been at the top of the agenda, and this will guarantee some cheap, healthy meals we can just pop in.

As for stuff that needs to be purchased: it hurts, but I have to buy fence materials this week. Otherwise, I hope not much else besides gas this month.
  10. Katie

Nah, we're keeping the rules off of this thread. Just personal challenges and a place to track them. :)

I rooted around the whole kitchen and came up with one lousy coffee to-go cup. It's sitting on the counter and I'm trying to make friends with it. lol. I'm thinking a cozy on a klean Kanteen may keep me farther away from a disposable to-go cup.

Brie, I feel the same way. There's absolutely no reason we can't draw off the pantry and freezer too. I actually found some sprouting seeds whilst sorting and need to get those going on the counter.

Xt, what are you fencing in? Or out?
  11. LuLu

LuLu Active Member

Nick would win on that hands down, he NEVER buys anything and I'm the one that is on ebay all the time LMAO I feel like Lucy Ricardo
  12. xt

xt Active Member

We're doing part of the back yard for the dogs. The neighbor is letting us connect on one side, and we're trying to come up with a plan that uses as little wood as possible. HOA here, or I'd just put up farm fence. We can get by with 4 board pasture fence within the rules.
  13. irinam

irinam Amity's Focus Member

A no-spend month? Not spending ANYTHING? No gas, no food, no bills, no toiletries, no... oh well, no notin' ? How? I mean, WOW!

You guys are good I am lucky if I have a no spend week!
  14. irinam

irinam Amity's Focus Member

Just read that. Whew :)

15. my2girlz

my2girlz Amity's Focus Member

I love these! I'm not sure I can do a month right now though. I have a lot going on right now, but I'm going to challenge myself to a week at a time. This week I'm going to push off grocery shopping as long as possible. Other than airline tickets, hotel, car rental, gas, and groceries I hope to have a "no spend" week.
  16. marjen

marjen Go!

Works for me. My eldest dd and her fam just moved down south, my 2nd eldest is going back to college and my dh is moving to London for a new job. M&M & I will follow after the house sells. So with just us three girls here (and not big eaters whatsoever), I doubt I'll have to buy much of anything besides:

1. Tickets for the upcoming theatre performance dd#3 is in
    2. Babysitting course for dd#3
    3. Milk, fresh fruit, & veggies
    4. Gas - though I can cut down here BIG time if we start walking to and from school when its not -20 or so
  17. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Okay then, I'm in. :>

For christmas from mil I got one of those big things that is like a casserole dish, but has a domed lid. Sometimes they are clay, but mine is cast iron. I am going to make a roast in it, and I desperately want to make turtle bread tomorrow, I've only been promising K for years we'd make it poor thing. I will also have to make some sweet bread in a day or two, so it's good we have a lot of flour. I want to get a sour dough starter going again too.

I will need to get an oven thermometer though, so I can roast my coffee nicely and repeat the results. I have everything I need for roasting but that.

And the baby needs cloth diapers and stuff, but that would maybe wait til Feb? Hrm . . .
  18. momof3tots

momof3tots Remember me?

I can't be in this month. I just grocery shopped and I have ds's birthday in less than two weeks, as well as trip for Band for one dc, Scholastic Bowl for another AND one kid needs school pants, another needs jeans and tshirts.

ugh!
  19. Katie

Argh! I've had months like that too. ((hugs))
  20. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    We are doing this. Only spending is fresh produce, milk, and eggs as far as food is concerned and then the money we already had budgeted for in regards to window trim/ extension jam, paint for the bathroom, and the kids experience gift for Christmas which will take place on the 28th and is a day at an ice sculpture festival.