Singapore vs. Saxon Math

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by TulaneMama, Jun 12, 2006.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

We have used singapore and liked it - but could someone please tell me more about Saxon and why or why not you would use it.

Thanks!
  2. nanci

nanci jelly belly

I don't know much about either!!

My dd (10) will do Saxon with the DIVE cd's and Singapore to mix things up!!

Griff (7) will do Right Start and Horizons math.
  3. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Why are you looking to switch? We have done fine with Singapore so far, so I'm trying hard to take the "if it isn't broken...." kind of mindset ;) and trying not to think about what I could be missing. LOL!
  4. ~Hope~

~Hope~ New Member

I agree, if it is not broke...

I tried Singapore and Saxon with my two oldest.
    My daughter just did not get Singapore. It was very upsetting to her.
    When we switched to Saxon, math became her favorite subject.
    It repeats alot, this helped build her confidence in math.
    She is a person that likes to know what to expect- Saxon provided that for her.The workbooks did not have any color or cute pictures- just math.
    It IS easy to teach.

On the other hand, my son was bored to tears with Saxon and he LOVED Singapore.
    He grasps concepts very easily and enjoyed the fast pace of Singapore math.

If my children were happy with Singapore, I would not switch.
    I will be homeschooling my oldest this year again and I will use Saxon with her again.
    (I personally like Singapore, but I am not teaching to myself so Saxon it is! ;)

Hope
  5. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

I liked Saxon 1-3. My oldest son did very well with it. But 54 was a different story. It was written by a different author and is a completely different style. It was very "college textbookish". My poor 4th grader hated it. We used it for less thatn one quarter, then started Horizons instead. (which he loves BTW)
  6. TulaneMama

I think it is the fast pace of the concepts the teach. DS got it, but not deeply. kwim? He likes the workbooks, we like to colored pages too. Maybe I just need to find something to supplement the lessons when he is having a harder time with some of the rules.
  7. TulaneMama

I think it is the fast pace of the concepts the teach. DS got it, but not deeply. kwim? He likes the workbooks, we like to colored pages too. Maybe I just need to find something to supplement the lessons when he is having a harder time with some of the rules.
  8. ~Hope~

~Hope~ New Member

Thank you for sharing that, Tap dancin mama!
    I did not know that!

Hope
  9. xt

xt Active Member

10. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I ordered these just for variety (and comparison -- I was curious) even though we are happily using Saxon. S has enjoyed the different look and I think it is good for her to see different presetations. She still wanted to stay with Saxon though.
  11. SweetnSour

SweetnSour Bringing Happy back :D

Vidura didn't like Abeka so I got Singapore, he loved it, we did the 1A and B and the intensive practice books also as supplement cause he was going a bit too fast.

Never tried saxon so I cannot compare.
  12. Andrea S

Andrea S New Member

When we used Singapore Math my daughter did not really enjoy it due to the fact that we had to start building up the foundation while she has already created her own learning style. It was a really difficult struggle in the beginning. I had to start using different types of supplemental websites and workbooks to keep her interested in the subject. Her favorite website so far is Beestar which has really kept her interested in learning more about the subject. She loves seeing her name on the honor roll and I love seeing how delighted she gets when she masters a new concept.