SERIOUS menstral issues after 2-1/2 years of nursing

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Willow, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Willow

Willow New Member

Hello everyone,

I've been nursing my twins for almost 2-1/2 years now, and about a week ago I started having menstrual cramps. Ok, I thought, here's my period back. But it's been 8 DAYS of cramps, lower back pain, headaches and the like, and no bleeding other than just a touch of spotting on the first day.

My midwife said, yeah, well, that can happen after three years of no period and suggested giving me some nasty drug to force my body to have a period (basically a morning-after pill type deal). I've been taking ginger and black cohosh to no effect (as well as lots of cramp bark and advil).

Has anyone had a similar experience? Should I call the midwife again and deal with the nasty drug? I don't want to mess with my body too much, but I'm taking medication every day as it is to keep me sane. Any suggestions will be so appreciated!!
  2. joli

joli sitting at the head of the Amity round table

bump for ya Stac
  3. Willow

Willow New Member

Sorry, I'm a dope--what does that mean?? I think the wacky hormones are making me a bit dim!
  4. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Jo was just posting to the thread to push it back to the top of the first page (bumping).

First thing is that I'd get an ultrasound. See what's causing the severe cramps. It could be endometriosis or something like that. It could be ovulation too. Or it could be something else. Just taking the medication (Provera?? That's what I'd always take) might just cover up some underlying condition that you would want to see what it is. If all is well, the Provera is fine to take. We keep it in the house around here since I have and it looks like both my teen girls have PCOS and we don't get our period without medication. I've since found another treatment for my issues but my 18 year old takes Provera every other month to bring on a period so she doesn't hemmorage. Looks like my 16 year old will have to do it too soon.

So I'd say to investigate what's causing the issues first. Blood work and an ultrasound could help. It also could be an ectopic pregnancy so it's not something to fool around with.

((HUGS))
  5. joli

joli sitting at the head of the Amity round table

Ann,Thanks for cluing Stacy in- she's a forum newb :) And an awesome mama :heart:

~jo
  6. Willow

Willow New Member

Thank you, Ann! It was Provera that the midwife suggested. Although I'm sure it's not ectopic pregnancy, I'd still like to find out what's going on, and I hadn't thought of the ultrasound. I'll be pestering my midwife again tomorrow! :)

And I'm glad I'm still lovable despite my forum ignorance :rolleyes:
  7. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Yeah - the provera isn't too bad. It can make you a little nutso (never did for me or my daughter but I hear some report this - kind of PMS sort of stuff) but it does work. I used to take it regularly to get AF but now I don't need to. The neat thing about it is that it can also STOP severe bleeding - I've taken it for both reasons. IF you were pregnant, it wouldn't affect it - I know because I took it when I got a negative test when I was pregnant with my daughter. When I got the positive test the next day, I was devastated and the doctor assured me that it wouldn't cause a miscarriage and he was right.

Yeah - I'd just check to be sure everything else is OK before you take it. This way, if there's another issue such as endometriosis, ovarian cyst, fibroids or some other issue, you can know what you're dealing with.
  8. Hi Stacy
    Just a thought, but maybe you could be pregnant?
    Melissa