Separation from Mama for a week

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Rach882, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Rach882

Rach882 New Member

I'm just interested in getting some thoughts from any moms who have been through something similar. Here is the situation. My son is 2 and 1/2, still nursing at nap and bedtime, healthily attached to mama. We are planning a trip to Italy in July (right around the time he turns 3), but my husband (who is a teacher and has the summer off) would like to go a week early to Europe with our son (and also his step-father). He thinks it would be a good bonding experience for them. My son has never been away from me for me than a night (and that was only once). I'm just worried about forcing him into weaning rather than letting him do it naturally on his own (which I was hoping would be at 3 anyway). Could this be a traumatic separation for him? Give him anxiety? Any thoughts or experiences shared would be lovely! Thanks!
  2. freedomlover

freedomlover ReaderOfThreads

Hi and welcome first off.

I think July is pretty far off.

He will be in a different cognitive space by then. He may still be nursing but a month or so before you go, you can tell him that you are going to be traveling and he will get to take a break from nursing when he travels with Daddy and that he can go back to it when you are back together. That it will be a 'growing experience and it will be okay".
    They understand a lot.
    Just be sure in your discussion about it and don't show anxiety from your side.
    He will take his cues from you.
  3. Rach882

Rach882 New Member

Thanks Mari for your reply! That's some great advice! I will definitely be talking about it with him, a lot! Just wish they didn't have to buy the tickets NOW! :)