Science Curriculum for 3rd and 5th grade

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by 3Gs4Me, Mar 17, 2010.

1. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    Was looking at real science but am wondering if it will meet our needs as my kids are at the high end of the age range for it (what I read said 1st-4th and 2nd-5th grade). Any suggestions for hands on science at this age level?
  2. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

I love Apologia Science. We are doing Botany with Owen. They also have Astronomy and Zoology (3 books) and Anatomy for elementary level.

Elementary Science : Apologia, Educational Ministries

It is quite Christian, though, if you have any objections to that. We are Christian, but I do tend to skip over some of the God paragraphs. ;)

What I really like about it is that it's easy. Like, the experiments tend to be easier to do--nothing fancy that you have to go searching around for the items to do the experiments--it's all mostly stuff you have on hand or can get easily at the hardware or grocery store.
  3. spookygirl

spookygirl New Member

I just got the REAL science Life book, for my daughter for the summer between 2nd and 3rd. I really like it so far, some of it's review, but it's so hands on, she doesn't care, LOL! Have you looked at their Try it before you buy it files? It will give you a better idea of what it's about ;)
  4. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I have real science for kids Chemistry and biology (I think). I can send them to you if you like.

The books are slim and at first it seemed like it wouldn't be enough, but it was. One thing I like is the real science approach. The other thing is that if you want to have time for things like hs group, going to zoos and gardens and museums, by the time you do math and LA, there is not enough time for daily science and history. So, having a short science program worked for us.
  5. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

I have never used REAL Science, but
    I really like science in a nutshell kits by delta education for hands on stuff.
  6. 3Gs4Me

That would be awesome. Even if I find they are to low for Gabe, I am sure they would be good for the other two.
  7. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Going to dig them out of the basement.
  8. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

We are looking at using this next year for our 5th and 3rd. Big plus is it is free.

classicsciinfo.htm
  9. littlelemon

littlelemon Active Member

I have a 1st and 3rd grader that I am using REAL Science with right now. It is perfect for our situation, they do the lessons together. I am planning on using it again next year when they are in 2nd and 4th. I do feel as if next year it may be a bit "young" for my oldest, but it is so much easier to just use one curriculum with both of them that I am okay with that. He does a lot of independent science work (reading and drawing) on his own since that is where his interest level lies. Plus, they really do retain a lot from this program-it covers a lot of basics at a level that is easy to process. The labs are great, the kids have a lot of fun with them, and a bonus is that the prep time is really minimal. I am very happy with the program.
  10. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

i have to admit that we have LOVED Moving Beyond the Page (thanks Teri) I think that this is the path that we are going to stay on. DS is so very independant with the work, it is thorough an I can easily supplement. DS and I also LOVE that there is a presentation (posterboard) display at the end of the unit that he puts all of his work on and shows me what he knows. Daddy likes this too and it is a family fun night around here!
  11. 3Gs4Me

I am very intrigued by and like what I have heard about this curriculum as well but the start cost for three kids really intimidates me.
  12. TulaneMama

buy just one section like I did. you do not have to buy it all. I just bought the body science curriculum and DS LOVED it! We also tried a Lit unit and history.
  13. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    noeo science is what we use :) 2nd & 5th
  14. TulaneMama

we thought that 5th grade NOEO science lacked quite a bit and was not "meaty" enough for us. we ended up doing LOT of supplementing and filling in the blanks. we completed the work far too quickly each day - like say maybe 30 minutes at the MOST!
  15. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

:D

We love it too.
    I am hesitant to keep pushing it because I don't want to sound like a fanatic or something. :lol:
    I really do like that it meets national science standards.
  16. SummerJoy

SummerJoy sleep? what's that?

This is what my 3rd grader is using now. We love it! Only the Life Science is free, but I would definitely pay for the other subjects. It is clear cut, funny and it keeps my DD interested.