schedule? and little ones

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by beautifulfreak, Jan 15, 2010.

1. beautifulfreak

beautifulfreak Sr. Entropy Control Spec.

DO you have a schedule at all? DO you make your kids get up at a certain time and go to bed at a certain time?

My 8 yr old is a night owl and has a really hard time getting up before 11 really. But this cuts a huge chunk of the day out. When I force him to get up earlier at lets day 8:30 no one is happy and he is miserable to deal with. I like them to all be in bed by 9 for my own sanity but that does not always work out so well.. I then thought well that's the beauty of home schooling is you don't have to be anywhere or up at a certain time... Still having a hard time in this area..

Then the almost 4 yr old and the 2 year old are total terrors when I am trying to do school with the olders. How do you do it? Tips suggestions?
  2. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

They do have bedtimes here. 8:00...although they are usually awake much later. We don't really make a big deal out of that unless they are still awake at 10:00, then we ask them to turn the lights out.
    I don't get them up in the morning, but they have never slept past 8:00 or so. Usually they are up between 7:30 and 8:00.
    I don't have really younger kids, so I can't speak to that part of your issue though. :p Do the youngers take naps?
  3. beautifulfreak

beautifulfreak Sr. Entropy Control Spec.

also referring to HS schedule here. Do you just do it whenever everyday or do you do it at random times.

I have decided on a for sure I am going to do school year round with 6 weeks sessions and then 1 week for catch up for anyone who needs it and 1 week total break. I have such trouble getting them back on task just from not doing school Sun and Mon that it wears me out. I really want to make this work I am trying so hard but always feel like I am failing. I am my own worst enemy.

The 2 yr old does take about a 1.5 hr nap at 1 PM
  4. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

We do school in the mornings, somewhere between 9 and 12. Then when Libby is at her reading class at SR (four days a week) we do our literature work.
    In the mornings, we do math, practice percussion (Joseph), science/social studies and any experiments or projects.
    This morning though, we straightened up the upstairs and we are on our way to see The Spy Next Door. :lol:
  5. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

We are having scheduling issues and dh and I were just discussing this today. I am juggling the boys trying to get everyones math and language arts done.

What we talked about and are going to try next week is this.

J is usually up first in the morning (because we are using melatonin) and so I will make sure he has breakfast and is dressed and then around 9, I will start his work and he will get the first hour. So we will do his reading, math, explode the code and handwriting. Then I will let him get on the computer to do clicknread and I am going to try to find an online math game for him.

Around 10, I will start G and E with their work all language arts and math. Anything I need to help them with or give instruction.

Then we will do geography and science and missionary stories will be in the afternoon or at night.

I am also going to give them time on the computer for educational games, just not sure what yet.
  6. sweet~potato

sweet~potato Active Member

I have a night owl too and I have a 1 year old who is always into everything.:)

We don't follow any schedule. Even though I personally like a schedule or routine, the rest of my family does horrible with it. So, I let my kids sleep when they want and however long they want.

We're unschoolers, but my ds and I work on projects together, reading, games, etc, which can be hard to focus on sometimes with the little guy around. I try to wait until he is napping or sleeping for the night for some things. Sometimes I put him the highchair and give him a snack to keep him quiet for a few minutes. Can they watch tv for 30 minutes? I've heard some people say they keep a box of toys specifically for playing with during "school time".