rosemary in colder zones

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by tara, May 3, 2010.

1. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

I'm in zone 6a, where rosemary generally doesn't survive outside as a perennial. Is this always true? is there a way I can help it to survive in my garden through the winter? I just got a bunch of rosemary plants at a wholesale place and would love to put them in the ground instead of in pots.

Tara
  2. golden

golden Active Member

I've wondered the same thing. We are also in zone 6. My Rosemary always dies by December. I have a new plant here, a bush actually. Has anyone ever planted it and then pulled it out of the ground in October to plant in a pot?

I'm never good with containers. How big a pot do you need? I always think you if you were to turn the plant upside down, it should fit in pot. Does it need to be bigger than this?
  3. Jayne

Jayne New Member

I am in zone 6 and my rosemary, thyme, oregano,mint, lavender ect all come back in the spring.

Right now the lav, lemon balm, oregano & thyme are bigger, fuller & more beautiful than when first planted. The rosemary is coming in nicely also, but not fully in yet. Mint is coming back more slowly, but it won't be long.

I have lots of herbs & flowers directly planted in the ground and they all come back.

I also stripped the seeds off of the basil in the winter and now have quite a number of small basil plants coming in.
  4. golden

golden Active Member

I was hoping mine would. I jsut pulled it out of the ground last week. Nothing. Deader than dead.

Maybe it's because I am about 10-15 miles from zone 5.

Can you put a bucket on them for the winter or would that kill it for sure?
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  5. Jayne

Jayne New Member

Just double checked my zone to be sure & I am also 6a and my rosemary planted directly in the ground dies off in winter, but does come back in spring.
  6. Jayne

Jayne New Member

Mine will look completely dead, but if left alone does come back. Right now about half of the plant is brown & the other half nice, new green rosemary.
  7. golden

golden Active Member

what did you search for come up with the "a". All of the planting zone maps I saw just had whole numbers.

and if you are at the high end of 6 and I am at the low end bordering 5, then that is almost a whole 10 degrees. That is probably why.
  8. golden

golden Active Member

9. tara

Oooo! According to that map, I'm 6b. :)

I was thinking that if I planted these bordering a brick patio that the bricks would help create a microclimate in the colder months (bricks absorb the heat from the sun and then radiate it a bit overnight).

I never have a problem with my lavendar and mint coming back each year, but have never had luck with the rosemary. But I'm going to try it this year!

Tara
  10. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

I'm in zone five. I put my rosemary in a pot and brought it in during the winter. It doesn't look great after a winter inside, but it's alive. :)

I have mint, oregano, sage, and lavender that all do fine. I know there are some lavenders that don't do well in colder climates, though.
  11. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

I'm 4b. Rosemary has no chance at being anything but an annual here. I have dreams of bringing one in and keeping it from year to year but I kill off houseplants like you wouldn't believe. I plant some new ones outside each spring and enjoy them through the summer. :)
  12. tara

Well, I'm going to give it a go this year by planting it in a protected area. I'm also going to keep my eye out for giant glass cloches. I mean, Martha Stewart just finds them at tag sales everywhere, right? They must be available in abundance. ;)

Tara
  13. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

I have lavender that comes back in my zone 5b without fail.
  14. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

I overwintered a lavender plant this winter and it seems to be coming back. :)