reality check - a day from 'Grapes of Wrath'

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by cathleenc, Apr 19, 2010.

1. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

Okay, that was an exageration but boy! this weekend has been so wierd!

Every spring we hire a few people to come and manually dig out the barn pens - takes a full day - we feed them a good homemade lunch, we get to meet new people. Every year the job posting on craigslist is filled in an hour or so - we live 30 minutes from the university and lots of strapping college laddies looking for a few quick bucks. But not this year!

This year it's adults who haven't had a job in over a year and families needing food money, people almost begging to work their tails off and earn $80. Asking for more work within minutes of starting here. Desperate people! Really different to read about it versus having someone personally hurting sitting at your kitchen table.

And then lunch. At lunch I looked around - the kitchen shelves are filled with maybe 40 jars of broth/soup/beans that I canned last week. Not much in terms of modern stuff.... took just a wee bit of imagination to see ourselves right in the book, 'Grapes of Wrath', being the farm family feeding the hungry traveling by.

Our workers were so curious...'how do you make bread?' 'how do you can?' 'can you really make cheese?' - and then comments like 'hey, if you grow your own food then everything is free, right?'

Altogether, a really interesting day. Feeling sad and nervous for all those in financial hardship, feeling vulnerable to financial hardship coming home to roost for us.
  2. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Oh wow....what a reality check. :(
  3. houdini

houdini New Member

4. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

It's so....unreal, isn't it? Brian put up a CL ad for someone to do some computer entry at the dealership, 3-6 hours a week. Over 25 application and resume forwards in an hour's time. Two masters and one former bank VP in the mix.

Brian was floored. Actually, it left him kind of stunned and reeling and he hasn't hire anyone yet. "I don't want a professional, I just want someone a little dumber than me to enter photos and numbers."

Sheds new light on the process of providing for your family...it's really so sad just how many wants were translated into needs these last few decades. It's not a latte, glossy magazine or a new smelling car. Food, water and shelter.

Still, they're not quite there with that comment. Free? yikes. :eek:
  5. mammakat

mammakat harpy

I really, really needed this reminder today to be grateful for my job.
    Thank you.
  6. hematite

hematite New Member

I agree completely. It makes me so sad to see people struggling so badly. I give people food when i can, but it is just a stop gap measure.