Quick: What should I do today?

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by mamabear, Apr 3, 2010.

1. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

I know, it's half gone already. It's warm, dry and gorgeous. Dh is bushhogging trail and clearing a few trees from a swimming spot by the brook.

I don't know where to start...I need to build raised beds, but don't have the lumber. I want to get things tidy for our upcoming appraisal. I need to do the taxes and I need to clean out the basement, but it's too gorgeous to be in the dank dark basement or at the computer.

It's still way too wet to till and plant cover crop...
  2. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

I just came in for a quick break. I'm trying to uproot 25yo boxwood bushes from a raised/terraced set of wood planters. I want to use the space for herbs and edible flowers. Two hours of sweaty work = one boxwood removed. Five to go. Sheesh.

However, maybe the Yuengling I am drinking will help. ;) I went through four Kleen Kanteens of water before breaking out the big Y. :)

Tara
  3. houdini

houdini New Member

It's too beautiful here to be inside. I wouldn't want to be in the basement or do taxes, either. :)
  4. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Well, I helped dh with some tree felling and brush clearing and he made a bridge over part of our brook while I supervised the kids and dog in a little swimming. Our dog is fearless and the brook is rushing - he looks like he is trying to drown himself! He's a goofy puppy. He already hurt himself badly today - we called him and he didn't come, and it took us about 40 min of looking before he came running, but was clearly hurt - he rolled on his back and whimpered halfway up the hill! We took him inside, doused him in cool water and gave him an aspirin and he was up and at em once it took hold. Dogs are tough. We have no idea what he did but after watching him at the brook, I have some ideas. :badidea:

Oh and Tara, you totally deserve the beer! We're um, about to go there, I think. I've been trying to stay away b/c of trying to lose weight, but a gin martini sounds a bit - well - dehydrating and intense about now.
  5. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

your kids went swiming too? isn't that water glacial-cold?!!

yes, far too nice to be inside. I vote for laying your your back, closing your eyes, and just taking in the gentle return of life to the frozen tundra.

glad your doggie didn't get too badly hurt!
  6. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

thanks. he is a nut! and yes, they went swimming - and yes, it's glacial cold, literally snowmelt temp. they weren't in long, just up to the waist and splashing themselves it's HOT! 79!!!! that's like an inferno here.

am about to go do that...just lay on the sunny deck and soak it all in. :D
  7. houdini

houdini New Member

Poor doggie! Hope he is all better now. :(
  8. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

He's totally fine! We think he might have slipped or jumped in to the brook and gotten caught up against a strainer - there's a certain spot that's near where we were. So glad he didn't drown. And going to keep a much closer eye on him down there now.