Question about Gerber Flats...

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by menfusse, Mar 29, 2006.

1. menfusse

menfusse New Member

I am new to cloth diapering. I just started a few weeks ago with my 4 month old, and even switched my 4 year old bed-wetter to cloth at night. I spent a week or so glued to my computer searching all the options out there and finally settled on velcro wraps and prefolds. My 4 month old is very small for her age. She has severe reflux and doesn't eat well. She is a very light wetter because of this, and I am finding that I don't care for the bulk of the prefolds right now. They are fine at night, but under her clothes during the day, she just has this big ole' bubble butt, and being such a light wetter it doesn't seem neccessary. I was wondering about flat fold diapers. Are they less bulky under velcro wraps? I have a few bumkins and some from WAHM
    's. I ran across a pack of Gerber birdseye flats that I hadn't even opened that were a gift. Does anyone have experience with these? The gerber birdseye prefolds are not much of a diaper, but I think it is because of the polyfiber insert used in the center instead of cotton. I don't want to open them if they are not very good. I will return them and order something off the internet. Any reccomendations? I plan to use the flats when we are out shopping or at the dr.'s and just use my prefolds at home, since I usually don't bother with a wrap at home. So I thought 12 would be enough for that purpose. Any advice and info. is totally appreciated.
  2. singlemomto3

singlemomto3 New Member

No idea what u could use for a light wetter. Good luck, and a bump for your post.
  3. Selissa

Selissa Who said I was Girly????

ime gerber fats shrink to much to be terribly useful BUT flannel recieving blankets (i got a ton of them as gifts) make a great cheap and fairly trim pinned flat diaper.
  4. MonsterBabyMama

MonsterBabyMama New Member

Melissa, I loved my gerber flats when I first started out cloth diapering my oldest. It takes a bit of time to find the right fold for various sized babes, but once you do, I think they work quite well - plus they open up in the wash to get nice and clean AND they dry fast!

I've been planning for a long time to start making flats with hemp, but I have yet to take the time to find the right fabric. I may just end up using organic cotton birdseye because birdseye is such a nice, soft, absorbent fabric.

I say go for it though! And let us know how it turns out! (Oh, one more tip then I'll shut up about it - you might try folding it into a rectangle then just laying it inside the cover for a very trim fit)
  5. milknmore

milknmore New Member

I am coming into this really late but I personally hated the gerber prefolds with a passion. I couldn't get them to work for me for beans. I did like the chinese prefolds and covers, but now I am mostly using http://www.softbums.com because they are so trim and easy to put on(the boy is very good at running away from a diaper change). Also, I got a bunch of extra inserts so they are a lot more economical than strictly AIO's.