Preventing Diaper rash with cloth diapers

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by KristenChez, Nov 25, 2009.

1. KristenChez

KristenChez New Member

It seems like no matter what skin protection we use Aleksey keeps getting terrible diaper rashes when we use cloth diapers. We've tried going without the cream in case he was allergic but to worse results. Any suggestions?
  2. dudster74

dudster74 busy

Have you tried using different laundry detergent?
  3. Dalila

Dalila New Member

Weleda Diaper Rash cream with calendula has been the best at keeping diaper rash at bay.
  4. quidnunc

quidnunc Member

What is your washing routine? Do you double rinse? What detergent do you use? Do you use vinegar or water softener when you wash? What kind of diapers are you using?
    All of this info can help us help you trouble shoot :)
    When I was using cloth on my kids, I did a cold rinse, 1/4-1/2 cap of detergent (usually Purex free and clear), hot wash then cold rinse with vinegar in a downy ball. I used mostly prefolds but some fitteds and AIOs, nothing with fleece.
    I'd run a cycle once a month or so on hot with calgon water softener and nothing else.
    My diapers were clean and fresh smelling with this routine.
  5. KristenChez

KristenChez New Member

I may try this routine then, I had been using nothing but plain old baking soda and vinegar to wash his diapers...and indeed all of our clothing. I do a 1 hr soak with baking soda in the water and then set it to cycle with vinegar in a downy ball (What a wonderful invention!) I also add a dropperful of tea tree oil for it's antiseptic properties just in case.

For topical prevention I had been using Aveeno baby cream with oatmeal maybe I'm just not lathering it on heavy enough?
  6. kataka

kataka Guest

didn't have to use diaper rash cream with my DD very often. I only used it when I noticed her bum getting a little red and irritated. The most important thing to prevent diaper rash is to change diapers frequently enough so they don't get irritated from wet/soiled diapers. My favorite cream is the Boudreaux's Butt Paste. It works very quickly. I also use Desitin on minor redness since it is easier to spread on that the thicker stuff.
  7. cheapkites

cheapkites Guest

^^ good point. Glad I joined this forum already
  8. Mama_C

Mama_C New Member

Pretty interesting .. Im expecting by the end of May and this is terrific info. Ill definitely make gud use of this
  9. marie35

marie35 New Member

my 1 year old really gets irritated by nappy rashes... i have tried different but it doesn't work.. but from now on i'l work on these suggestions
  10. snugwee

snugwee Guest

Hi.
    What kind of cloth diaper are you using? Are you using one with a natural fabric against baby or are you using a stay-dry type with a micro fleece against baby?
    Yvonne
  11. marie35

marie35 New Member

am using a natural fabric...
  12. mommyladd

mommyladd New Member

i second this!

we used the same and it worked wonders, good luck!
  13. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

bumping this up