prayer and expressing negativity

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by bluespruce, Mar 29, 2010.

1. bluespruce

bluespruce New Member

Not sure how to phrase the title.

Yesterday at church a lesson was being given on being rescued by the Lord. Not sure how it came up exactly but someone made a comment about how we shouldn't bring our complaints, our whining, or tears to the Lord in prayer. That we need to be careful about that.
    And while I think we need to often and without holding back express our deepest gratitude and love, I also think it is o.k. to take our burdens and our heart aches to the Lord.
    I made a comment. (And I never make comments in class at church.) That I thought that is exactly who we can bring our heartaches, our burdens, and our tears to. If we can't take it to the Lord, then we can we take it to? He already knows our hearts, he knows our trials. He knows what we have going on in our lives. He, more than anyone, will understand.
    Evidently not everyone agreed with me. Because another comment was made "Maybe you just need a friend." Well, duh! I do need a friend. I know this. But even if I had an entire network of supportive people in my life, I would still need the Lord. He did add "Maybe I should be your friend."
    Someone after church did approach me and tell me I was spot on in my comment. That is what we are told in the Scriptures. To cast our burdens to him.
    It was just an interesting conversation that I am still going over in my head. And I am trying to understand more where the teacher was coming from. Because I often pour my heart and soul out to the Lord. If I can't to him, who can I?
  2. hannahsorchard

hannahsorchard Happy... so very happy :)

I totally agree with you. I believe it's ok to be totally RAW with God. I don't think we need to hold back our feelings... he already knows them anyway. We are allowed to share all our feelings with Him. Happy, sad and even *anger*.
    Good for you for speaking up. I never speak either... so I understand :hug:
  3. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

I've heard some talking about "negative thinking" and such and I think it's a bunch of baloney.

We ARE to cry out to God. Scriptures are FILLED with words of tears towards God. David says in Psalm 34:15, 17 "The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry. When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles."

I'd ask them to give you Scriptural support where we are not to bring our burdens to the Lord. God will even use our prayers to Him of whining and complaining to refine us and as we grow closer to Him, our prayers will change from a "me" centered sort of thing to a "You" centered prayer but we'll ALWAYS be praying in pleading, whining ways at times! Jeepers, a dear friend of mine was dying and I pleaded in a big way - even whining at times! It's who I am. God knows that. He's my Father - my Abba, Father - my Daddy. If I can't go to Daddy with my needs and my raw heart, then I have nothing in this world.
  4. Claire Berry

Claire Berry New Member

I totally agree with you. God wants to hear it all. Not that praying for the right things doesn't make God happy. I think there's a gray area. I don't believe a prayer for a pink cadillac would be as good as a prayer for say, world peace, but when its an honest and open exchange of where you are at the time, I think God wants to hear it.
  5. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

I don't think that line of thinking from the teacher lines up with what the Bible actually says. Read Job and David's Psalm's there is a lot of crying out to God in them. What about when Jesus was in the Garden?

I like what Joni E. Tada says, paraphrasing "if my God isn't big enough to handle my problems then He isn't big enough at all"
  6. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

BE anxious for NOTHING, but in EVERYTHING through prayer and supplication, make youre requests known to God. Phillipians 4:6

1 peter 5:6Therefore (Q)humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,

7casting all your (R)anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.
  7. Ariadne Umbrell

Ariadne Umbrell New Member

ugh. happy shiney faces only?

About a third of the psalms are whining and cursing and wailing, and bargaining psalms.

Or, say Job. my personal favorite whiney book, ever.

cool, calm and collected is a lot of things, but it's not prayer. it might be the after- result of prayer, but it's not prayer.

if you went to therapy, and you said " I'm fine" for everything, wouldn't the therapist say ' You are in denial'? Is the Divine bigger, and more loving, than a therapist? just checking.

There's a thing for the army, where your training is trying to be worse than any battle, ever, so that when you are in battle,- you're practically bored, or not noticing the difficulties- you've been there, done that. In some ways, prayer- you go as deep and as weak, and as open, as you possibly can, so that you've got that btdt feeling in real life, or when dealing with someone else. You've already shook hands with your "shadow" and your "shadow" has been lit up by the Divine, so you can see more clearly.

ari
  8. hadalamb

hadalamb Amity's Focus Member

That is so weird. Being in and of the same culture as you, I have never heard anything remotely like that in church (or anywhere else for that matter)! I don't understand where any of those comments could possibly be come from??
  9. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

Just chiming in. I"ve never heard anything like this in church. Our pastor is constantly reminding us that God wants us to lay it all at His feet, cry out to Him, ask for help.

Sorry, thats ... well... I disagree with that.
  10. hadalamb

hadalamb Amity's Focus Member

The more I think about this Kimberlee.. I think it may be a good idea to talk to your bishop. IMO this was allowing false doctrine to be taught. That is just HUGE. To suggest to others that they are bothering HF w/their whining.. that's just completely untrue and could lead to some serious issues with people's relationship w/God. I think a follow-up "retraction" of sorts is warranted. This isn't even a matter of opinion, you know? It's just blatantly false.
  11. seattlemama

seattlemama New Member

I have never heard of this and I am the same religion as you. I agree with hadalamb, I think you need to talk to the Bishop. I can't believe more people didn't chime in, but maybe they were caught off guard?
  12. twodrunkduck

twodrunkduck New Member

when i pray, sometimes i express negativity, but i learn to be grateful even thought its hard to.. but i tried and God know it :D
  13. ChantingMama

ChantingMama The Divine Miss M

Even in my path we are told to bring our anger and our tears to God. What kind of deep, soul-baring, trust beyond all else relationship do you have with a person, if you do not have one where you are free to share it all? And God, he is the ULTIMATE Person.
  14. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

See, I see it differently - I think it has a whole lot to do with the culture. It has long felt - to me - as if the expression of negativity in general - not specifically within prayer - is not done in the culture of my childhood/family. Because if you aren't happy, then it means that you aren't doing something right. I know I'm mis-stating how I've seen it, but essentially it is just that: you are supposed to be able to gracefully handle all of life's difficulties thrown your way without complaint because to do so suggests that you aren't fully living the commandments. You know: happy shiny people, that's what we are. :) the perfection principle.

And, I don't think that this comes from the general authorities or anything, but rather the culture.

So, it would simply be an extension of that, I would think.

I happen to disagree, but I also happen to disagree with a lot in the church and the culture - though I tend to think that the person who responded in that manner is responding from culture and not doctrine. I think that the majority of the Christian world as a whole would suggest that you lay your burdens at the foot of the Lord. Because, you are right, if not there, then where?

But, you know, I have some very vivid memories of things discussed in Relief Society that felt like that. Some/many got it, some/many were happy idealists for whom any negative discussion was suggestion of some failure.
  15. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

:nodyes:

it furthers the perfection problem that I think is pervasive for women in the church.