Potato main dish ideas?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by APmommyCarrie, May 5, 2010.

1. APmommyCarrie

APmommyCarrie bubbly

I need some main-dish ideas/recipes with russet potatoes, I have about 15lbs of them as they were super on sale recently.

Thanks!
  2. freedomlover

freedomlover ReaderOfThreads

Potato Leek Soup

chop one onion
    rinse and chop one entire leek (I put the pieces in a large bowl and swish them around, dump the water and repeat)
    four large, peeled potatoes chopped into pieces
    five cups of broth (I use either leftover from chicken dishes or store bought broth)
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

boil and simmer for about 25 minutes

let cool for about ten minutes

mash with potato masher OR blend in blender

serve with crusty bread (my kids love dipping the bread)

Hope you like the idea of it. I make it once a week.
  3. spinknottle

spinknottle Active Member

we made baked potato chips the other night, sliced them about 1/8 inch thick (IMO you could go thicker) bruched the pan with olive oil, placed the potato peices, brushed the tops of the potatos and baked them at about 450 for 20(ish minutes)
    They were yummy!!!
  4. mom2jflc

mom2jflc Menagerie Mama

My kids go nuts for these.
  5. spinknottle

That's because they are AMAZINGLY delicious :lol: especially if you sprinkle the with a little bit of garlic salt.
  6. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

I make a skillet dinner with either bacon or sausage, fried potatoes and a bunch of baby spinach thrown in toward the end. I usually spice it with thyme, garlic granules and salt and pepper. I bring the potatoes to a quick boil before chopping and frying them. That is the simplest version and I toss in other veggies if I have them. Sometimes a couple of eggs too (either scramble them in or fry them and serve on top).
  7. ~noodlefrog~

~noodlefrog~ Lovin' life

Baked eggs in potatoes. Put mashed potatoes in a baking dish, make wells to bake eggs in, top with cheese - easy, if heavy, comfort food.

Curried potato carrot patties. Basically you cook the potatoes and mash them with some grated carrot and curry, fry them up and eat plain or topped with raita/yogurt or even with an egg on top. I can write up the recipe if you like.

Potato samosas, essentially Indian samosas made as twice-baked potatoes, no dough necessary.
  8. Monie

Monie New Member

My mom used to make baked potatoes out of the biggest ones in the bag, then we would top with leftover chili or taco fixings. (none of mine will eat this, so I don't make it)

I layer sliced potatoes, onion, sometimes ham and/or cheese in the crockpot and top with some milk or a can of cream of something soup and cook all day. It's more of a wintery meal, though.

My friend shared this recipe with me: Potato Soup For Slow Cooker - Joe's Crockpot Potato Soup It freezes really well, and we like it even better after it has been frozen!
  9. Tiffany

Tiffany Amity's Focus Member

a baked potato bar! my kids love this! I use leftover chii (if I have any), shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream, butter & fresh chives.
  10. APmommyCarrie

APmommyCarrie bubbly

Oh I have to try this, I'm thinking some fresh rosemary on there....yum yum yum.
  11. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

12. bluespruce

bluespruce New Member

I was going to suggest a baked potato bar.
    My kids love twice baked potatoes.
  13. spinknottle

from readin this thread over the past couple of days, I've decided that we're having twice baked potatoes tonight. I never put sour cream in mine....ae you supposed to?? I don't really like sour cream but if it's cooked into something, it can be really really good.
  14. amcal

amcal New Member

If you end up making mashed potatoes and have left overs, I made a soup last night everyone loved.

I baked a pound of bacon in the oven until crispy then I took some of the bacon grease and sauteed an onion. I added the left over mashed potatoes and a couple cups of milk and some broth to thin it out and make it a chowder consistency. Added a couple handfuls of frozen corn and a cup or two of shredded cheddar cheese and seasoned with celery salt. Simmered this all together until nice and thick and the served it topped with the crumbled bacon.
  15. bluespruce

bluespruce New Member

I make it with plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
  16. spinknottle

Ohhhhhh...that sounds yummy. Do you still use butter? Equal parts??
  17. bluespruce

bluespruce New Member

1 use 1 cup yogurt and 3 T butter.
  18. mamagael

mamagael Moderator Staff Member

Potato Pancakes made with shredded potato's served with applesauce and sour cream. Also I take leftover baked potatoes and cut them up add topping ham, cheese,onions, peppers, broccoli whatever you have and bake it. Top with sour cream.