postcard swap?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by harvestgirl, May 8, 2009.

1. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    just curious if we should still wait for those we have not received, or call it a wrap?

2. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

I haven't made it to get stamps yet - but mine will be coming.
  3. harvestgirl

thanks jodi ~ i think there are at least 4 we haven't rec'd yet.
  4. KimberMama

KimberMama Active Member

Same here. We sent 11 and have received 6. My boys have completely lost interest at this point, so anyone who hasn't sent should probably save their postage.
  5. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

My kids would still like to get them if anyone wants to send them.
  6. harvestgirl

yeah, same here. my kids looked over the ones we got & were asking why the rest hadn't arrived? so, we are done waiting. not trying to be snarky, but is it really that difficult to find postcards & get stamps? kinda a bummer for the kids :(

and i see the mamas we haven't rec'd from posting here daily.. did ya'll forget?
  7. ThirtySomething

ThirtySomething About to burst

actually, the answer to your question is yes. I signed up for it. My kids didn't want to to do it after I signed up, so I got stuck writing the cards. I completely admit that writing postcards was not my top priority. It has ranked pretty low on the list since it wasn't merchandise and no money was involved. Wait, I take that back. If anyone would like to be reimbursed for the stamp it took to send a postcard here without receiving one, please let me know. I'd be happy to do that.

I made a judgement call, and I'm sorry I let your kids down. I'll know better than to sign up for this stuff again. My bad.

The answer to your second question of "did you forget?" The answer is yes. I forgot over and over and over again.

Now, I need to find out wth I did with those cards so I can send them out even if you don't want them anymore so I can absolve myself of my misdeed.

ETA: I found the cards, wrote them all out, and stamped them. I should have no problem taking them to the PO tomorrow. I know some of you said you weren't interested, but I already have them done so I'm going to send them anyway. Maybe the kids can cut them up for an art project or something.
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  8. harvestgirl

~ i think your response is a slight over reaction stacy. why would anyone even think about a refund for a stamp? and a misdeed? c'mon. to me, sure even though there was no $ or merchandise involved, it was still a swap. kids were involved. i got the addys back in march, it's now the end of may.

if you knew your kids had zero interest, perhaps you could have told waterlily so other arrangements could be made. sorry you "got stuck" writing the cards. many of the cards we did receive had messages written by the moms , sorry it was a burden for you.

i do hope your kids enjoyed the postcards they received :)
  9. KimberMama

KimberMama Active Member

I wrote the messages for my boys; hand writing is still not a strength for them, whereas identify states on the map, reading the postcards, and talking about any history on each card was right up their alley. If I had signed up for the swap expecting them to do it all themselves I can pretty much guarantee that they wouldn't have been done.

So yes, I did a lot of the work involved in the swap. I had to go several places before I found post cards. I had to write out the cards and address them. I had to mail them out. It was still worthwhile to me and to my boys. They did help me think of what to write. We sent all different cards so we had lots to talk about just in regard to our own state.

I also learned not to sign up for these things here. Sure, no money or merchandise changed hands, but it was a swap and there were children involved. I don't see how that is a lower priority than a sale transaction. In fact, I am a bit bothered buy the idea that it was less important than if I had purchased something.

Live and learn, and move forward without hard feelings.
  10. ThirtySomething

Not sure what to even say at this point. It just didn't end up being what I thought it was going to be in our household.

I didn't just say, "Hey! It's just kids, no merchandise or money. It's not important." That wasn't a literal thought or expression on my part.

It just ranked lower on my priority list until I truly did forget. I allowed my priority to be set, in part, by my own children who did not think the project was important. It's not that I valued your children less. It's that I saw it through my own kids' lenses and thought other kids probably wouldn't take it as seriously as us adults do/did and therefore did not think it was a big deal if I didn't get right on it.

I see that is not correct for all families, so I can only move forward now with that understanding.
  11. harvestgirl

i couldn't agree more w/ all that you said, esp. the bolded. you said it much better than i could have, but exactly what i wanted to say. thank you.
  12. waterlily

waterlily arrived

Hey obviously very late on this thread and I am the one who organized the swap, so I apologize. I am here really sporadically. We were so grateful for all the postcards that we received and truly enjoyed writing them. I really saw this as a no stress activity and wasn't concerned about the cards we didn't get. I did not keep track. So - thank you mamas who did it. And those that weren't able for whatever reason I hope you enjoyed receiving our cards. I too bought, addressed, stamped, sat eldest child down to write. We loved looking at the pictures each card had representing your state. I hope it was a fun educational experience for your children.
  13. ThirtySomething

Thank you for organizing it and putting the effort into it. :)
  14. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

Thank you, and I'm sorry I dropped the ball. :(
  15. harvestgirl

thanks stacy ~ we did receive ours from you :)
  16. Maidenmyhome

Maidenmyhome New Member

We really enjoyed receiving the post cards...even though there were only six. I have sent out 12.(Although I think one may have the wrong address.....)

As with many swaps I have done here, you have to expect sometimes things come up for people and you dont receive the same ## back. Thats ok with me.Its the risk you take sometimes......

Anyway, if anyone would like something else I could send from Canada, for homeschooling purposes, let me know !!
    Having people in different countries/states/ to trade with is really exciting for me !! (oh yes the children too ! lol!!)

We have a map of the states and would love to have a postcard sent to us from each state !! What a cool way to learn about the country and actually be able to contact someone who lives there !!

Thanks again to those who sent cards !!! if you didnt get a chance yet...I have no time limit !! LOL!!
  17. KimberMama

KimberMama Active Member

We received ours today ... thank you so much!
  18. MMJoiner

MMJoiner New Member

Thank you for the postcard from Canada! We got it in the mail today, and were very excited about it.
  19. ThirtySomething

I got mine from you too maindenmyhome. However, I don't think I sent you one. I don't remember sending to Canada. I don't think you were on my list.

If you'd like to send me your address, I'd be happy to send out a card. If you did get one from me (with scenes from California), jlmk. I really don't think I sent one to Canada though.

:)