*Please* how much does a weeks worth of disposables cost?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Selissa, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Selissa

Selissa Who said I was Girly????

we're going to see my dad for christmas this year. since weare driving we will be using sposies for the drive..and probably if we go to a theme park then too.

but dh jsut wants me to use disposables for the whole trip. i would rather use cloth at home while at dads and then disposables when we are out..but i have no idea how much a weeks worth of disposable diapers even cost.

which ones are less smelly? the diaper idle gives me a headache with all those perfumes

anyone have any coupons that are still good in december?

any tips?

i'm really nervous about this..can you tell? lol

i've used sposies before..but not for any extended period of time

wait i thought of more questions...which ones leak the least? don't explode those little gel things? hold a poopy in?

i just don't know anything about the dang things..help a lost cloth diapering mama out would ya? please...

tia
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  2. ReeseMomma

ReeseMomma Bah-Humbug!

3. Slabobbin

Slabobbin New Member

What size will you need? I've got an almost full bag of the seventh generation in size L (16-38lbs). I don't need them and would love to trade.
  4. rjeast

rjeast New Member

Tevin is such a heavy wetter so he was in sposies for a few months until we finally found something that worked. They arent that expensive actually. We used huggies supremes and a small package (of like 30 or so) was only $9 and a big package was $17. I dont like the cheaper ones because they arent as soft and have more of a papery feel to them.
  5. SweetnSour

SweetnSour Bringing Happy back :D

If you have a heavy wetter stay away from Seventh generation, they didn't make it for more than an hour on Vidura.

Vidura's skin is super sensitive, he was a heavy wetter and our budjet more than limited, we found that the White Cloud (Walmart brand) and the Food Lion brand were the best, no perfumes at all (those make me gag) and no allergic reactions at all, and they hold a lot and don't leak. Price is less that $7 for a week supply.

Hth :)
    Ys,
    Radhanuga
  6. PoetMom

PoetMom Changing my family tree.

Unfortunately leak issues vary from kid to kid. You'll find some kids are built for pampers and some for huggies -- or whatever other brand you're looking at. My kids were huggies kids as newborns (the twins we didn't cloth diaper till they were 8 weeks and not full time till closer to twelve weeks) because they tend to be really big kids with big thighs and butts and everything. Pampers would leak on them.

Also sensitivity varies. My kids were super sensitive to the "rash guard" in Pampers -- they had what looked like chemical burns (raw, bleeding skin) in those.

But once we found what worked for them, they really were very convenient. And yeah, they don't cost that much.

I recommend getting two very small packages of whatever brand you want to try and doing a "wet" run at home to see what works.
  7. khkelley

khkelley celticmama

I've tried the store brands and always end up back with Huggies Baby-fit. For some reason with my kids every other kind of disposable I've tried leaks! There are sometimes coupons for diapers in the ads section of our Sunday paper, might want to check there. Pampers are too smelly for me. To me they have an overwhelming baby powder scent and I didn't like it, dh couldn't stand it.
  8. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

The huggies "baby shaped" diapers (used to be ultratrim) work best on my kids as they're very narrow through the crotch.. huggies supremes are designed for chunkier babies.
  9. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~ Amity's Focus Member

if she doesn't trade you for them I will. :)
  10. starkisses

starkisses Amity's Focus Member

ok weve done foodlion dipes which run about $7 a package
    weve also done pampers which run about $10+ a package
    and weve also done huggies (not supreme ones) which are $10 a package

I kinda miss my huggies when we sposie cuz they have been the best for us ..

we are currently doing white clouds.. I dont like them as much ... when Caden pees it gets all mooshy and watery feeling in the gel and there isnt much protection in the back to keep poops in like the huggies ... IF it were me .. and I have done this ... splurged on what I KNOW will work if I want all of the areas to be covered ( huggies with the "giggleastic" ) $10 a package of 34-40+ depending on size really

Caden also has very chubby thighs ... all around huggies are our dipe when in the budget and need to sposie but for limited funds and just around here if I need a sposie its white clouds lately. $7 a package of 34 (sz 4)
  11. Chickapea

Chickapea Guest

Ah man! Not until Dec? LOL Lauren has apparently outgrown sz 1 Pampers so I was going to offer them to you cheap (we're through less than 1/2 of a mega pack!), but I'm guessing he'll be me than 14lbs by December if he's not already. ;)
  12. doubleblessed

doubleblessed I dare you to dream!

Call or email the diapering companies and ask them to mail you samples ~ try them out before you go on your trip and see what would work best! :D As far as White Clouds, maybe someone on here can send you one for the cost of shipping? So you can compare without really losing out on the $$.

Personally, the twins were in Pampers Swaddlers at the beginning and then we switched to prefolds at 4mos. approximately and then ME OS at 7 mos. approximately. Whenever we went out, I use whatever is cheapest and it's usually White Clouds from Walmart.
  13. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Okay, my bad for using sposies, but the baby basics brand from Albertsons. I ran out of diapers one day and dh made an emergency run (we were visiting people) and I love them. They are perfect and no smell. He got them on sale and I picked up another package on sale, so they are about 10 cents each, which is about a dollar a day.
  14. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    selissa ~ the walmart brand are great, cheap, no perfumey smell & have the nice tabs = not tape.
  15. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

Nods - we're in disposables now. We use the white cloud brand from Walmart. They're wonderful. I pay $15 (14.95 on sale or $15.95 not on sale lol) for 92 diapers which lasts us a while
  16. kas

kas Kinder & Gentler

when we do sposies (lan/ft and sutt when i'm lazy)-my fave are huggies. second fave are the walmsrt generic.

costs about $10-15 a wk, plus wipes-and that's just for one baby.
  17. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Yep, exactly that. :) I might actually like walmart more than huggies, but it's a PITA for me to get to Walmart, so I get huggies most. Right now we use 1xday for overnight, and then when we travel.
  18. LuLu

LuLu Active Member

I've gotten the white cloud, huggies and pampers. I like the pampers because they are soft but the white cloud is way cheaper and does the same job. I think I did the math for name brand with coupons comes out to about 16 cents (for sizes 1/2) per diaper vs. 12 cents for the generic. So I guess it really depends on what brand, where you buy them and how many you use per day.

FYI, if you call pampers and complain about their newborn diapers not having a belly button notch they will send you a coupon within a week for free diapers. say you bought a mega pack, hehe.
  19. Chenning

Chenning New Member

I find that Huggies leave the most space gel behind.
  20. beanandpumpkin

beanandpumpkin Homeschooling WAHM

Another White Cloud user here, since we're now using sposies full time. Actually, this past week, I bought a huge box of Huggies for $17 on sale. I have found that with the grocery store generic brands, sometimes one of the tabs sticks closed, and you either have to tape it with regular tape or throw that dipe out, so it's not cheaper for us to buy those. Other grocery stores might have better generics though.