Planner talk again

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by Robin, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

I know we talk about these alot (every year). I have made my own this year and it is similar to this one

Home Educating Family

and I think I will buy this one next year to use.

But as I was looking today I saw that they had this student planner. I am actually considering it next year for G even though he will only be in 5th grade. I think he would love to have something like this that gave him more independence. He is alot like me and loves list and finishing tasks.

http://www.wellplannedday.com/pagesWGM1011/pdfpreview.pdf

What are you using and what do you love?
  2. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

heather's sons use a planner ad they are happy with theirs.
  3. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

We do really like ours. They are just teacher planners. With teh days of the week across the top, then 8 rows for subjects.

In the top row we list activities that they need to be aware of for the day: like a field trip or if we'll be gone in the morning. The bottom row is for after school time activities/extra curriculars. So they put youth group, hula lessons, etc there.

Then in each row they assign a subject. Our curriculum tells us what is assigned for the week - but each day is up to them to figure out. So... I hand them the weekly list of things, and they divvy it up through the week. Then they decide if they want to do a lot of reading one day, or split it up over a few days. This has really helped stop a lot of the power struggles over work. We do have a meeting on Fridays where ALL of the weekly work needs to be done. This is when Austin and Nate and I sit and discuss the readings, talk about concepts, and expand on what they have read.

For Adam... I do this for him, with his help. Say there is a book that needs to be read over the course of the week. He and I sit down and figure out how many pages he needs to read each day to finish it by the end of the week. Then he writes it in the planner. I use the planner to help him stock his workboxes (which are working great for Adam and Lauren). So my goal is that by middle school he will have his planner all to himself and not need the workboxes. But I am finding that the mix is GREAT for us... helps me organize what needs to go where. And he can actually stock his workboxes on his own if it's written in the planner what needs to be done.

Nathan is pretty well organized about it. He even has me mark off the things he has done with a red pen. ;) Austin will usually mark his off by himself.

We have also incorporated a filing system to go alongside it. The older two use an accordion folder to hold each quarter's work. At the end of the quarter, they file it into another file box for longer term storage. Also this has helped us see progress through the year. And... we color code all of those components. Using sticky notes, highlighters and colored pens to coordinate different subjects.

Creating Independence with a planner
  4. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Heather, I remember reading that in your blog. I really think I want to do this next year for G. I think he will love it. Plus the planner I linked to had some journaling/Bible thoughts to go with it and I think he would enjoy that.
  5. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

www.plannerpads.com has awesome planners - blank but organized really cool to help define what is important in a day
  6. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

I have looked at Planner pads but I think they would be too much for my 5th grader. I am putting together my own planner this year and am considering the well planned day one for school next year. Alot depends on how much I like what I set up.
  7. 3boysnagrl

They key for us has been the teacher style planner. Seriously, we had tried timers, but got frustrated with them. We tried listing assignments, but then things were all discombobulated and not in any order. The teacher planner has been the complete difference for us.
  8. amyincali

amyincali New Member

Where did you get your teacher planner Heather? That sounds like something I'd like to try with my older girls. Getting schoolwork done with them lately is like pulling teeth and I wonder if they had a little more control over it if it would go smoother. I wish they were like my 5 yo twins that still get all excited about doing school.
  9. 3boysnagrl

Amazon.com: At-A-Glance 80-155-05 Undated Teachers Planner, 10-7/8 x 8-1/4 Inches, Black Cover: Office Products

Those are the planners we got. I think near the beginning of a school year you can find them at office supply stores, but we were looking in October... and none of the office supply stores had them. I looked at the book stores, and none of them were exactly what I was looking for. Same with the teacher stores. Everything had too much 'extra' in it.

Amazon.com: The Organized Student: Teaching Children the Skills for Success in School and Beyond (9780743270205): Donna Goldberg, Jennifer Zwiebel: Books

That is the book that I based our system off of. It goes into a lot of detail - and it's pretty thorough. It helped me see how to organize it so that it would FLOW.
  10. amyincali

amyincali New Member

Thank You! I went ahead and ordered 2 for the girls.

I actually own that organized student book. I think I started reading it and never finished. I'll have to go back through and spend some time reading it this time. lol
  11. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

I may be being obtuse here but somehow I missed it...Heather, do you write their assignments in the planners and then they do their work based on that?

I did buy the downloadable planner linked in the OP (the 2009/10 is on sale for $12 for anyone interested) since I needed something *right now* but I'm not sure if just making lists of assignments is going to be motivating...or do you think it's the process of moving the work to the filing areas that your kids find motivating?
  12. 3boysnagrl

Our curriculum gives us assignments for the week. I make a copy of that from MY book - give my 12 and 13 year old each a copy of their own - and they plan it all in. I help them sometimes, but they are pretty good at getting everything in there now. They also plan in their math (they use computer based maths, so they write in '60 minutes' for their math, then cross it off when completed). When we do science, I tell them what and when - and they make sure that is in their planner, too.

Motivating... hmm. I think for my kids - it's that they have to have everything scheduled (I check on Monday mornings to make sure everything is scheduled) and until their planner is completed for the day they don't get free time. So they are very judicious with their time. And then if they put things off and don't get everything completed at the end of the week - we spend time on Saturday mornings completing work. That only took one week of me enforcing that... they've been pretty good about completing everything since then. :lol:

They keep a working accordion file for their current work, and work in this unit (9 weeks). Once we complete a unit (9weeks) we move that paperwork into a set of files for the year (kept near our printer, out of the way from our daily work needs).
  13. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

Thanks Heather! That makes sense. I need to institute the no free time till work is finished thing. I often haven't followed through on that and I really need to. My issue with my 10yo is that he'll claim he can't move on or finish without my help and sometimes I can't get to it right away and I'll let him be "finished" and then he's got free-time without having really finished...and then gives me attitude when I do have time to sit down and go over it (and usually by that time he's totally not in the mood). I really don't feel like I should have to hand-hold at his age (he'll be 11 next month) anyway so implementing something has to help....I currently do the "skip it and we'll go over it together later" approach but he's unwilling to skip and can't move on (it's a mental thing).
  14. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Where did you find it on sale? When I look at the site it still says the pdf is $19.95. I am finishing up a planner I made but really wanted this planner and might buy it if I can get it on sale.
  15. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Never mind when I clicked on the pdf I see it on sale.
  16. 3boysnagrl

Yeah, we've been dealing with similar issues. It has helped us to have set times where I can help with certain things. So if he is going to need help, he needs to make sure he gets it at such and such a time. I had been going back and forth between kids (and subjects) for 6+ hours a day... and I lost it. I set my 'office hours' for a while - and got it under control. Now I have some more freedom.... and they've figured out that they can usually figure stuff out on their own. Also - I have them all do math at the same time, so I am not helping with math at 4 different times of the day.