Pioneer birthday party for less than $150

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by BlueRoseMama, May 29, 2010.

1. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    That is my goal for July. A 9 year old girls pioneer themed birthday party for less than $150 total.

Invitations: Need ideas

Favors: Bonnets, a dollar store set of marbles, and pinewheels on pencils. I have TONS of fabric, so I doubt I will need much besides cute calico paper for either of those projects. The kids are going home with corn muffin mix in a mason jar (already own all of it) and strawberry freezer jam which we will be making during the party as a craft. All of this will go home in a cute calico drawstring bag... hopefully made by my daughter if she can do it. I am training her slowly.

Food: Cucumber finger sandwiches, fresh watermelon slices, corn on the cob, need more ideas

Games: Marbles (the kids keep the marbles to take home), kick the can, telephone (and we will also have a tin can telephone available for playtime), tin can stilts, and need ideas.

What else am I missing???

TIA!!!
  2. ChantingMama

ChantingMama The Divine Miss M

I say get out On the Banks of Plum Creek, and look up Laura's party. :p I know Ma made fairy cakes...but that's all I really remember, lol. But I bet you can glean a bit from there, right?
  3. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

sack races, pin the tail on the donkey

invitations: super simple, handwritten in pencil. or something that looks like chalk written on a slate (no idea how you'd do this).

will think on food. baked beans? i think with sack races and pin the tail and what you have, including making strawberry jam, you have more than enough activities.
  4. debqcat

debqcat Active Member

I would use fabric for the invitations - either to make it look like parchment or like a pp said, a chalk board - so green or black fabric with white thread for embroidery, or a white fabric marker. Sounds like a fun birthday!!
  5. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

sounds awesome so far!

unless it's super huge, i'm not sure you will even have to spend $150. it doesn't sound like it will cost you more than $100...but i don't know!
  6. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

Candies you could do peppermint sticks and lemon drops-- maybe even use small bags as prizes for the races. roast corn and do homemade butter (in the jar by shaking it or the lazy man way of putting it in the food processor or blender lol. Make ice cream-- even better with a hand crank ice cream machine where everyone has to participate. I LOVED doing this as a kid. Homemade lemonade to drink. Umm popcorn balls? Taffy?

Invites I would just use a cut up paperbag and a calligraphy pen. if you really wanted to get fancy, get some of the recycled paper that has the wildflower seeds in it-- the kind you can plant, and use that.

Oh look -- American Girl Pioneer Party | One Charming Party
    another-- this one has an invite Party Proposals: Little House on the Prairie Party

and one more! so fun!
    My little women and me: little pioneer children
  7. BlueRoseMama

Those are awesome. :) Thanks! :)
  8. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

We have My Little House Cookbook from the library right now, and it has recipes for Laura's Little Maple Cakes and Ma's Best butter Cookies along with Lemonade, Strawberry Jam, and Popcorn and Milk, among others. :)
  9. snugbug

snugbug Watching my baby grow

Hannah's little house party, years ago, we did calico fabric cards (sewn fabric to the card) and I think the card stock I bought was 'parchment' colored and I printed them in a reddish brown calligraphy scripty font.
  10. starkisses

starkisses Amity's Focus Member

gosh ruin a perfectly good thread with spam crud...

love the ideas thrown out .. all that I would have mentioned has been ...
  11. BlueRoseMama

What is going on with all the spam??? That's crazy. I know I haven't been around for a while, but I have never seen that before. Does that happen a lot now?
  12. starkisses

starkisses Amity's Focus Member

yes!! its gotten crazy lately with spam!

hows the party planning going?!