OW! He's biting

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by mamagael, Nov 30, 2008.

1. mamagael

mamagael Moderator Staff Member

I have just been saying "NO, don't bite mama!" What do/did you do? He has razor sharp teeth too. Little stinker.
  2. MMJoiner

MMJoiner New Member

With mine the first time they bit, I would take them off, and not let them nurse anymore till their next feeding time. for all 3 of them, it only took once or twice for them to learn that if they wanted to eat they couldn't bite.
  3. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I had some biting issues with Stephanie whenever she was teething. I tried to give her frozen cloths to chew on in between to kind of numb her gums a bit. Honestly, I kind of sucked it up and winced while she nursed like that. If she did it too much I would take her off the breast and say, "No biting." Funny enough, Ava started out as a horrible nurser, but once she got going was fine. Stephanie was a natural nurser but did bite later on.
  4. debqcat

debqcat Active Member

I would sit with a finger ready so I could quickly unlatch them, or push them into my br*ast for a couple of seconds so they would have to stop nursing to breathe.
  5. ~noodlefrog~

~noodlefrog~ Lovin' life

Serious biting, like a chomp down, they each did once, maybe twice. I met it with a sharp "no" (not something they usually heard) and no more nursing for a bit. I'd give them something that was okay to bite and usually interest them in another activity. It did not recur.

Now, leaving tooth marks because of resting those top teeth too hard.... *sigh* I never did solve it with ds. When someone was teething and just in chronic pain, I tried a clove oil mix on the gums, teething tablets (homeopathic), pain medicine. I can't say anything always worked, and I still spend the occasional day or two sore from it. It's been survivable, but I'd still welcome more suggestions, unfortunately.
  6. nakedbabytoes

nakedbabytoes New Member

My son has done it a few times, but never intentionally. I have a tendency to like naked baby toes(hence, my user name!) so when he nurses, I tend to take his socks off and play with his feet. If he's bitten me, it was because I tickled him and he couldn't help himself! My fault. I just say "no bite" and he looks at me with big eyes for a moment. Then he happily returns to nursing. I understand that some kiddos bite when they are teething or upset or feeling ill or just feel an urge they don't understand. But for me, it's always been my fault, not his. So I kindof understand how it can happen unintentionally!
  7. vlasta23

vlasta23 New Member

hi I have had same problem. Answer is easy. Bite him back right away. It works very well. He will remember. If not, try it more times. It will work :)
  8. xt

xt Active Member

I'll thank you to not suggest anyone bite my nephew.
  9. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    wow...brilliant advice. um, welcome to amity?

i'd absolutely NOT suggest such a thing.

gael, instinct will dictate that you remove him immediately, but the most effective thing many moms have found is to loudly yell "NO" as you pull him in even closer to the breast. it'll be uncomfortable for him...he'll unlatch. it won't hurt him and absolutely is humane in a way biting him back is not.
  10. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

:spit: :badidea:
  11. Wendi

Wendi Amity's Focus Member

Gael, I can totally see you biting him. I think you should try that. Let us know if it works :hoo:
  12. mamagael

mamagael Moderator Staff Member

lol, this is an old thread from November, he's long since given up biting me. So sad I didn't read that brilliant advice when I needed it , though.:badidea:
  13. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    you know, i don't think we noticed the date of the OP...mostly just responding to the lovely advice of the most helpful pop-in advisor...:lol:
  14. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

Are you insane?
  15. soonsoonsoon

soonsoonsoon New Member

Yeah there are similar threads of it.
  16. soonsoonsoon

soonsoonsoon New Member

I have had the same problem i used to tickle him a bit and would say no biting little kid.
  17. soonsoonsoon

soonsoonsoon New Member

Yeah i had the same problem and i used to tickle him a bit so he dont do it again.