Over ten years without a Serger, is it worth it to get one?

Discussion in 'Sewing FAQ' started by Chels~, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

I've been sewing since highschool with only a machine. A old functional one at that. Does having a serger enhance your sewing experience? Does it make things harder or easier? Does it cost a lot for for thread? Right now I do 2 straight stiches with a zig-zag going down the middle. I mainly do clothes and purses. Your input is appreciated!
  2. martinanne

martinanne Loving my girls!

YES!!!

Once you get the hang of it (threading, tensions...), it makes sewing things MUCH FASTER and more professional looking, and in some cases easier, and in a lot of cases better (ie, a lettuce edge made with a serger is way better than one made with a sewing machine).

If you decide you want four spools of every color, then yes it costs a lot. But there's no need for that. Get four spools of basic colors like white, tan, black. Then get one spool of every other color you like and a bunch of empty bobbins. Then wind three bobbins of each color and put them in mugs behind the serger and run the thread up through the serger's thread tree.

IMO a serger is a fantastic addition to your sewing machine. I have read several times how people such as yourself who have sewn for many years with just a sm, ended up gushing over how much they love their new serger and how they wish they had gotten one years ago. Go to patternreview.com and read some serger reviews and you're bound to come across people saying exactly that.

FWIW, you don't have to spend a fortune on a serger. The Brother 1034D is a tremendous value for the money. You get all kinds of features that are frequently found only on higher end models in other brands ...most notably the free arm and the ability to switch to rolled hem without having to change the plate. And it is a sturdy, good-quality machine. I paid around $300 for mine. You can see it here:

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp01083-0860.html

However, amazingly it is on sale for just $199 with free shipping at amazon right now! I would totally snap it up if I were in the market for one now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CBK1L/104-1879373-3599914?v=glance&n=284507
  3. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

Thank you for the link. I bookmarked it. I really appreciate your advice.
  4. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

I wouldn't sew nearly as much without my serger. It isn't so much that it is easier, it is FASTER! On somethings, I still stitch on my machine, then serge, but it finishes the edges so nicely. I can make a dress for one of my girls in 30 minutes. Last night, I had to make a bday gift for 2yo twin girls. They now have darling matching tank dresses and shorts that took me almost no time at all.
  5. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

How much fabric do you buy when no project is in mind?

I meant to post this as a new post. duh.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  6. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

They still have the SUNSAVER coupon. What a good deal!
  7. lovencloth

lovencloth Amity's Focus Member

I love my serger, and don't feel like I could live w/out it, if you are doing two straight stiches plus a zigzag stitch, even if you use the 2 needle function, you are still going around your clothing, purses twice. Just that aspect will save you time. I have a White ATS 2000 that I can't stand AT ALL, it is my "back up" machine. My full time machine is a Janome 204D which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. I have used the Brother 1034D and I don't love it as much as my Janome, the differential is really easy to set, and you rarely have to change it. It is much quieter than any other machine I have tried (important if you have kids that nap lightly), threading is not as easy as the White, BUT, I had it for 2 months before I ever had to rethread it because I could just tie on and it threaded easily. It comes with a very detailed manual which is nice for beginners. What I love most about it though, is that I can't find a fabric that won't go through it. My White will NOT serge knits or streatchy fabric very well, it gets scallopy, no matter what I do to the tensions. If you decide you do need a serger, I would really recommend driving around and "test driving" as many sergers as you can. I would also recommend looking at http://www.patternreview.com they have thousands of reviews on machines. Good luck!
  8. Daphne

Daphne New Member

I have an old serger that was given to me by a friend, and it's really not that great of a machine, but I still love it for the time it saves me! The first thing I ever used it on was diapers, and let me tell you it was *so* much easier to serge around the dipe than to turn and topstitch. Took half the time as it did before!

If I had *any* extra $$ I would snatch up that Brother off of Amazon. I'm so glad you posted this, b/c I was wondering, too, which serger would be good to get when I'm finally in the market for one. ;)
  9. LHC

LHC New Member

I have 3 sergers...so perhaps you might be asking the wrong person :) I wouldn't trade them for nothing.
  10. debqcat

debqcat New Member

I had only been thinking about getting a serger, wasn't sure if I wanted or needed one, but I ordered the one from Amazon. Thanks mamas for the link to the machine and the SUNSAVER code!! I'm looking forward to receiving this on the 5th!!
  11. martinanne

martinanne Loving my girls!

Good for you, Debby! You'll have to let us know how you like it. I bet you're gonna love it!
  12. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Yeah, I really want a serger. I finish all my seams and am really careful about my sewing! I want it to go faster.

I was originally a quilter, so I did not hneed one...now for sewing clothing I want one so bad...!