Our Father

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by Natalia, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I am reading a very thought-provoking book called The Source of Miracles: 7 Steps to Transforming Your Life Through The Lord's Prayer by Kathleen McGowan.

She points out that this prayer is how Jesus told us to pray when asked by his disciples how to pray. She calls it the perfect prayer. Every word is important.

I am currently working with the first two words and would like to share a bit of her writing.

This from pp. 49-50.

The very first word of the Lord's Prayer sets the tone and delivers the key message that Jesus wanted us to grasp immediately: our. Jesus did not say my father, and he did not say your father. He said our father. It is both plural and inclusive. This word choice is precise and made with intention, as it is the underlying premise of a great understanding: that we are all brothers and sisters, with one common parent. When we look at ourselves collectively, as the children of our father, there is no separation. We are all related within the human family, and we are being called to remember that and to treat all mankind as our brothers and sisters...

Furthermore, by using the word our, Jesus is telling us that we are not separate from him either. Jesus is not above us and untouchable. Rather he is beside us, like a sibling, side by side with us in reverence to the divine will, intelligence, and love which is our father. Jesus was sent to be our master guide in the process. He is our older, wise, protective brother.

Thoughts?
  2. Natalia

Natalia New Member

3. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

I read this while I was out yesterday but couldn't figure out how to comment (new phone). This morning I am dealing with a terrible headache and a sick child so my brain isn't functioning correctly. So I will reread and comment later when my head isn't pounding.
  4. HuncaMunca

HuncaMunca Active Member

The comments you posted make me think about how amazing it is that Jesus was willing to humble himself, leave heaven, come to earth as a man, and live a very difficult human existence among us (well, not among us, but those living at the time) to show us what kind of a god He is.

The Lord's Prayer is so rich... what does the next section in the book say?
  5. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Ellen. If there is interest I will post more as I read. I am reading slowly since she encourages you to pray the prayer daily, reflecting on each word. She also has questions for reflection. I am only on the first two words. It is a rather small book, but very beautifully written.
  6. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Well, I do not think the Bible speaks of EVERYONE being a child of God but only believers. John 1:12-13 supports this: "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God."

But when we do receive Him, we have a special place in God's heart. We are the apple of His eye. We have the right to call Him "Daddy". How amazing is that? This weekend is our ladies' retreat and our theme is "Learning to Live in the Father's Affection". Very cool!