Or, I could just spend $50.50! (yarny rant)

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by ElDucko, May 21, 2010.

1. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Lately I've been griping to anyone who will listen about how I want to knit this thing, and how I don't have enough yarn [read, yardage] and how can I get more yarn when I don't really *need* this yarn and blah-blah-blah

and how zomg this project uses an insane amount of lace weight yarn and how so many patterns call for x amount of yards/meters and how lace yarn sellers/makers sell them in weird amounts like 25 grams [that's right, right? a wee amount?] and 50 grams [which I'm getting used to seeing, and can tell if it's the right weight yarn by how many yards are in that 50] and sometimes even more grams but those grams no matter how many, not even if you have a whole pound on a cone, are never never enough yards.

Ever.

And if you're a patient mis-fortunate friend then you get like a zillion links of pretty yarns and complaints about how I'd have to either buy two big hanks of it and barely use any of the second because the first is 1200 yards, or 1350 or some huge amount but not enough [i need 1750] and why isn't 1750 easily divided or multiplied into anything?

I could just spend $50.50 plus shipping and get some of this. I'm insane enough at this point to almost think it's a good deal, just to end the damn thing.

yarn is here I'm thinking Backstabber is a good color, aren't you?
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. ElDucko

Apparently that's now how we show color on that website. Everything I clicked was that color [the strand pic.]

You go here and can see Backstabber.

I can't wear those colors. But the name is good right?

What about "mustang sally"? I think I'm a "winter" in the um, thing they do. I have dark hair & eyes and mother's olive with biodad's native american "tan", except that because I've been inside either sick or hiding from pollen I'm paler than normal. I'm not sure which factor there matters, I think I missed that class. :lol:
  3. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

this is cracking me up. Having a $50 skein of backstabber yarn seems like the perfect way to wrap this up! :lol:

I think you should buy it, it is still going to be a reasonable priced item, can you sell a few things to offset the cost?

My sil is olive and looks great in reds - I do love that mustang sally color, I think sapphire would look good on anyone and I love motley hue too, but it may be too washed out. Which of those colors really strikes you?? If I were spending that amount on THE yarn, I would pick the color that makes me take in my breath a bit when I see it! In that groups, it is either sapphire or backstabber - but will probably be different for you!
  4. hastings

hastings Amity's Focus Member

My favorite laceweight baby alpaca yarn is like $10 a skein and is the burgundy in backstabber. How many yards do you need? I know I have one skein of it hanging around. The other skein was cut to bits by my kids (for which I want to make THEM figure out how to untangle it and sort out all the extra ends.) If its enough I should get off my butt and actually mail you something-- so that O can justify buying some new yarn as well :)
  5. ElDucko

I like lagoon but really think it would pool and that wouldn't work.

In the reds, Lover's Leap is purdy but might be too orangey. I have to have colors that are blue-er.

I was thinking something like lilac or pale blue for this until I saw Falcon's Eye and then I saw Mossay and now I really need someone to tell me what greens I can wear besides khaki/olive.

Hastings, oh, kids + scissors + yarn = :sob: I'm so sorry. If it helps when both of my hands work I am an excellent knot-un-do-er. I need 1750 yards, which is why it's such a pain. Since I tend to be "tight" getting this yarn makes me a little nervous, since it's so spot on.

That doesn't even mention the money. Atm we're not discussing the money. I need to get my girlies to look at the yarn I have and make a final decision as to what colors they want for the other thing, and maybe I can sell some of that lace yarn.
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  6. ElDucko

Oooh, some bamboo! Halcyon has some, I'd need more than the one um, tube? but still!