Open to an on-line bible study?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by TulaneMama, Mar 11, 2010.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

t - i LOVE rob bell! and R, this could easily be a drop in study, so if you have the time feel free to pop in.

T - want to organize it? :D choose the book and so forth?
  2. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

I might be interested - we'll have to see the book and my time. I definitely don't like Rob Bell and Joyce Meyer is another who I don't like. What about even just doing a book of the Bible? I like it's Author. ;)
  3. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I had not heard of Rob Bell, so I checked him out. He sounds like someone I would like:)
  4. hannahsorchard

hannahsorchard Happy... so very happy :)

Oh he's the NOOMA guy!

What don't you like about him Ann?
  5. TulaneMama

yes ann, please explain.

I think that the NOOMA series is excellent!
  6. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

I don't know him,but I just asked Carl. He said "he has some good things, but I wouldn't get my theology from him." so I am guessing he is more on the liberal side. Oh, he is part of the emergent church movement, yes?

I am OK with that, but I am wondering if we should start with something less controversial? Let ua build up trust and safety with each other? What about a book about family or something? I cannot link to it from my phone, but Family: the Forming Center is a really good book. Not very controversial, I don't think.
  7. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

Nm
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  8. hannahsorchard

hannahsorchard Happy... so very happy :)

I don't know anything about him honestly so it's nice to hear what others have to say.
    I'm into the emergent movement but not to the extreme that I know there is either.
  9. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

Jen, please read all I'm going to write before forming your opinion (don't worry, I think it's good):

So, reading this, I HAD to check it out. I figured that if you thought it might border on heresy, then I might like it. ;)

I watched "Rain."

And, I have to say :agreed:

:lol:

Now, in the one video I watched, I did not see anything that suggested heresy to me, so I was a wee bit disappointed. ;)

He did talk about how we are all sinners and I think y'all know how I feel about that particular feel/approach, but I can roll with it. And, then he talked about how if his son were to look back at the scary experience and say, "hey dad, why did you put me through that," he would be crushed because it was such an intense emotional connection with his son at the time and how that would be like asking God why one had to go through horrid experiences in life and that God would be crushed in our seeing that experience as horrid because it was in those experiences that God got to be close to us and to hold us and I think that thinking is kinda whack.

I seriously doubt that God WANTS for us to feel pain so that he can support us and be close and the like. God is there during the difficulty, but not celebrating it. I don't wish for injury for my children so that I can show them my love by snuggling them in those times. That sounds sort of munchausen by proxy-ish. Sure, I selfishly enjoy those quiet moments in the middle of the night rocking a feverish child, but I'd never invalidate what a bad experience it was for my child and I would certainly never wish for my child to be that ill just so that we could have that quiet moment. I'd much rather celebrate their health.

Did that make sense?

But, I did think that the video was sweet and nice in the message, not heresy, but simplistic.
  10. TulaneMama

yes rebecca - I think that is why I like it. not too overwhelming.

I am fine with starting with a book out of the bible or a family book.
  11. Sunflower_Momma

And, I realize that I just shared my kryptonite. Just say that something is controversial and possibly heresy and I'll read it. :lol: ;)

But, Ashley, I was thinking about this: YOU were the one who suggested it, you pick what you are interested in studying and see if others will join along. Or y'all could do a book club and rotate who picks what on a monthly basis or something like that. No one is going to agree on everything ;) And, frankly, I always try to remind myself that there is something I can get from everything - even if it is "this is not my thing." There is always something to learn.
  12. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

I have not read a ton of Rob Bell, but have liked what I read. If his teaching goes into God putting us through crap for his glory.....well then....we all know how I feel about that. :)

Anyhoo - yeah, a book of the bible, or a book on family is fine.
    Did anyone check out that Run with Horses link I posted earlier? That is about the life of Jeremiah.

So, who decides? Go for it Ashley, or we can take a vote, or keep hashing it out, or whatever. :)
  13. annsni

Yep - He downplays the gospel for feeling good. Here's a good critique of his NOOMA videos. Church Matters: The 9Marks Blog

I think he once was sound but now has just enough great sounding stuff that takes the place of the Gospel that I'd not listen to him as a good Bible teacher.
  14. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

It has been a while since I have read/seen anything from Bell and I don't want to take the time to look it up right now. So this is off the cuff. Also I haven't "studied" or intensely read things by Bell so that is my disclaimer.

But I think that most people who claim conservative theology take issue with his stance on scripture. There are other issues but for me this is a glaring one.
  15. Sunflower_Momma

T - I checked that link and it looks good to me.
  16. annsni

For anyone who wants to read a good book, I'm finishing up Dug Down Deep by Josh Harris (he's the one who wrote I Kissed Dating Goodbye). It's a book on theology that is rock solid and very down to earth. It's a book that I'm going to use next year with my son for Bible. It goes through the different doctrines of orthodox Christianity (the doctrine of God, the doctrine of Jesus, the doctrine of Scripture, etc.) but in a way that's very comfortable to follow. I'd HIGHLY recommend it. Here's the link to the book and you can read the first chapter here Dug Down Deep by Joshua Harris - Joshua Harris
  17. Sunflower_Momma

18. Sunflower_Momma

Ashley, were I you, I would just take charge. I would either post a poll with four or five of the books most mentioned in this thread and have people vote, or I would pick one myself (and I might be inclined to start with one of the gospels), or I would organize it as a book club and randomly pick someone to pick the first book (as in, pick a number between one and 10).
  19. annsni

As I said, I can highly recommend it. :)

I ordered 4 books this last time and will keep myself reading for quite some time. LOL I ordered (copied this from my blog so I don't have to retype it all - LOL):

Gospel-Powered Parenting: How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting by William P. Farley

From Amazon: Bill Farley's new book on parenting is rock solid. It is so because it is so profoundly grounded upon the all-sufficiency of the Word of God and the Gospel of grace. When it comes to parenting, Farley is no neophyte; he has been in the trenches raising sinful kids by the grace of God and for the glory of God for two decades. Nor is he going to give you theoretical platitudes; he is honest about his own deficiencies and his great need of Gospel wisdom in parenting. Here is Jonathan Edward s theology made accessible to depraved parents raising depraved kids in a depraved world. This is, ultimately, a parenting book full of hope, hope grounded in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. --- Douglas Bond, author of Fathers & Sons: Stand Fast in the Way of Truth, and Hold Fast in a Broken World.

Tim Challies, a blogger I highly respect recommended it highly.

From Amazon: Christians are too often guilty of pledging their allegiance to the influential principalities and powers of this age rather than to Christ alone. In Holy Subversion, Trevin Wax challenges such behavior by urging a return to the subversive lifestyle of the earliest Christians. Their proclamation and demonstration that "Jesus is Lord" directly opposed the Caesar worship of their day.

Today, Christians in the West must choose between Jesus and our "Caesars": self, success, money, leisure, sex, power. What would it look like, asks Wax, if today's church reclaimed the communal, subversive nature of the gospel, intentionally undermining all contenders for our devotion? How would the message that "Jesus is Lord" change our thinking about our jobs, our families, and our church participation? Here this gifted pastor-theologian offers help in taking our faith public, dethroning modern-day Caesars, honoring the Lordship of Christ, and understanding the church as the ultimate counterculture-an embodiment of Christ's supremacy over all.

From Amazon: "When the apostle Peter says, "Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God…casting all your anxiety on Him," he implies that humble people are fearless. They have the courage to stand up for truth humbly. I love the term "humble orthodoxy." And I love Josh Harris. When they come together (Josh and humble orthodoxy), as they do in this book, you get a humble, helpful, courageous testimony to biblical truth. Thank you, Josh, for following through so well on the conversation in Al Mohler's study."
    —John Piper, author of Desiring God; Pastor for Preaching and Vision, Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis

From Amazon: Your friend just left his wife. You catch your child posting something inappropriate on the Internet. Someone in your small group is depressed. A relative was just diagnosed with an incurable disease. When those you know and love experience trouble, you don't want to hand out pat answers or religious platitudes. Instead, you want to offer real hope and help from God's Word. You know it s true, but how does an ancient book, written thousands of years ago, connect with our twenty-first century problems? In CrossTalk: Where Life and Scripture Meet, Michael R. Emlet gives you the tools to connect the Bible to your life and to the lives of your family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers. You will learn to understand people and God s Word in ways that promote gospel-centered, rich conversations that help you and those you know grow in love for God and others. This book will make the whole Bible come alive to you. Instead of platitudes, you can offer a cup of living water to those who are struggling in this broken world.