One lone skein

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by ElDucko, Jan 22, 2011.

1. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

For Christmas my wonderful mil gave me a gc to a lys by her house.

I had mis-estimated how much what was in my arms and needed to spend the rest and she was already partly ringing me up so I just grabbed this one skein of drops yarn I had been eyeing earlier, but decided against. I am not sure why I didn't grab two, so I could make a pair of socks [oh how that other skein of something else called my name] but I have one lone skein of this in an orangey-rust color.

So very pettable.

It keeps telling me it wants to be a corkscrew scarf, like this, and I say to it . .

But skein, that is so impractical! Yes, I know you are alpaca and soft and are closer to brown so you can go next to my face without making me look as if I am dying, but don't you think a scarf that is shaped to actually function would be better?

No it says. I want to be a spiral swirly of lightness.

How about this I tempt. . .

No, it says, don't even go there.

I know trying to force the yarn into something it doesn't want is asking for all the wrong things, but honestly, with one skein how much swirly scarf could I make?

How much of my mouth/nose could it cover without making me look like a freak?

I have these wussy little baby lungs that have to be coddled from the cold, so I actually *need* a scarf.

I'm worried that it would end up too short, or that so much would have to be wrapped around my head that I will look . . strange.

thoughts?

Pattern links?
  2. freedomlover

freedomlover ReaderOfThreads

Get more to make the swirly.

I very much like the one you suggested to the lone skein.....but it doesn't want to BE that.

Maybe its trying to get you to make it swirly to be reunited with family from the place of origin.

Clever skein.
  3. MMJoiner

MMJoiner New Member

4. ElDucko

ooooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo! Perfect!
  5. Redterra

Redterra Just me, doing my best

That's what came to my mind - a small shawl or a cowl or something like that.
  6. choleblack

choleblack Amity's Focus Member

I was going to suggest something very similar to the Storm Cloud Shawlette, the Ruffled Baktus scarf
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ruffled-baktus-scarf

Sounds like your skein doesn't want to be practical. It wants to be a pretty decorative, floaty & soft scarf that you wear year round. Not just in the chilly months.

Chole
  7. ElDucko

Chloe, I don't know if you're here still, but do you have a not-ravelry link for that pattern? I am not on ravelry for personal reasons.